Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blown water hose

We have an '05 Response LXi with 340 Monsoon. Saturday evening we were cruising across the lake and heard a strange change in the engine sound. Turns out one of the raw water circulating hoses that connects to the water pump split right down the middle approx. 6 inches and as a result the engine compartment filled completely with water. Lake patrol towed us in Cry.gif . The motor has 30 hours. Any ideas as to what would cause one of these hoses to get enough pressure to burst?? We possibly ran over some debris that covered the fresh water intake but not certain.

Not sure what caused yours but i was summerizing mine yesterday and noticed several deep wear marks where the hose (between the impeller and the tranny cooler) had rubbed against the alternator bracket. Changed the hose immediately and plan to add some protection to keep the new one from rubbing.

The scary part is that when I cut a small slice down the side to remove the shower "T" the hose cut wayyyyy too easily, telling me that it was rotten and would have been going bye-bye on it's own soon. An '05 shouldn't have that problem but if you have a boat with a couple of years on it, you may want to take a close look at your hoses.

Not sure what caused yours but i was summerizing mine yesterday and noticed several deep wear marks where the hose (between the impeller and the tranny cooler) had rubbed against the alternator bracket. Changed the hose immediately and plan to add some protection to keep the new one from rubbing.

Not looking at mine right now, but I'm pretty sure that hose is wrapped in a piece of flexible black electrical conduit.

I thought those hoses had internal braiding. Strange.

Only the hose between the thru-hull and the impeller. Not the hose between the impeller and the trans oil cooler.

We have an '05 Response LXi with 340 Monsoon. Saturday evening we were cruising across the lake and heard a strange change in the engine sound. Turns out one of the raw water circulating hoses that connects to the water pump split right down the middle approx. 6 inches and as a result the engine compartment filled completely with water. Lake patrol towed us in Cry.gif . The motor has 30 hours. Any ideas as to what would cause one of these hoses to get enough pressure to burst?? We possibly ran over some debris that covered the fresh water intake but not certain.

It's actually the thermostat to circulating pump hose.

I had the hose that leaves the impeller bust on me 2 years ago. The boat was 5 years old, 500 ish hrs. It had a tear in it length wise about 6". The dealer said he had never seen anything like it. I did not think a nylon reinforced hose could bust like that. It did have that plastic cover over it though. I always wondered if that may have cut it.

Not looking at mine right now, but I'm pretty sure that hose is wrapped in a piece of flexible black electrical conduit.

Mine was not wrapped in any kind of protective cover, but I plan to spilt a section of the removed hose and use it as a cover.

Edited by Baddog
I had the hose that leaves the impeller bust on me 2 years ago. The boat was 5 years old, 500 ish hrs. It had a tear in it length wise about 6". The dealer said he had never seen anything like it. I did not think a nylon reinforced hose could bust like that. It did have that plastic cover over it though. I always wondered if that may have cut it.

Sounds like the exact kind of situation we had. The dealer couldn't figure it out. The only difference is our boat has about 35 hours on it. Anyway, with consultation from the dealer and Indmar, just about everything invovlved in the system was removed and inspected, to ensure nothing was still in there. Then, a new hose was installed. Will run it this weekend to see what happens. End result; no one knows what happened. We're carrying a spare now. It is only a $15 hose.

Sounds like the exact kind of situation we had. The dealer couldn't figure it out. The only difference is our boat has about 35 hours on it. Anyway, with consultation from the dealer and Indmar, just about everything invovlved in the system was removed and inspected, to ensure nothing was still in there. Then, a new hose was installed. Will run it this weekend to see what happens. End result; no one knows what happened. We're carrying a spare now. It is only a $15 hose.

Mine cost $45. Did I get hosed?

If it burst, perhaps the tranny cooler got plugged bad with the debris.

Happend to me once and that was the problem

Pretty strange for the hose after the thermostat housing to have that much pressure. Indmar uses soft hoses that are easier to remove for maintenance but, they are not nearly as strong as the reinforced ones that PCM uses.

I wouldn't mind replacing mine with reinforced PCM hoses and putting a metal PCM elbow with a drain at the circulating pump. It would be stronger and easier to drain.