Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tint Window?

MEYJR

I know a lot of you tint the windows on your boats but I am wondering how it holds up. Reason I am asking is I stopped by the place that has been doing the tint on my cars for years and asked if they do boats. He said no because it doesn't last long. he said something about the sun hitting it from the backside or glaring off the boat interior makes it turn purple. He said it usually only lasts a couple summers. What have you guys found to be the case? Does it last? Is there a special tint to use? This place uses LLumar tint and I have always been very pleased with it on my vehicles.

MEYJR- if that tint place doesnt do boats RUN AWAY at full speed.

boats are 10/10 difficulty wise.... you want nothing to do with them. the curves and limited space on the windshields make them very very difficult.

2 seasons with no problem long summer but boat only sees the sun when its on the water. 200-250 hours a year.

That's probably an excuse because they simply don't want to do boats or have had a bad experience or two. Boats are a pain and less profitable because of the extra time and materials waste.

There is truth to the longevity if you stored your boat outside without a cover because there is much more light exposure than normal on the inside surface. But you have much larger problems if that's the way you store your boat. A towboat should never be exposed in time equal to a daily driver and certainly no more than a convertible car. I have seen film prematurely fail for this reason but the interior was cracked and the gelcoat was chalk, so I wouldn't over-learn that lesson.

All dyed films will eventually fade. The better dyed films will not turn color and go purple.

Metal and ceramic films are extremely color stable long term.

You can also ruin film by routinely using an ammonia-based glass cleaner.

MEYJR- if that tint place doesnt do boats RUN AWAY at full speed.

boats are 10/10 difficulty wise.... you want nothing to do with them. the curves and limited space on the windshields make them very very difficult.

^^ understand when I said you want nothing to do with them I meant that window tint guy....

All of my boats have been tinted, no issues

^^ understand when I said you want nothing to do with them I meant that window tint guy....

All of my boats have been tinted, no issues

I understood what ya meant. However they do great work on cars and trucks. They have done every one of mine since mid 90's and that has been several from corvette to new camaro and pickups and jeeps. Yes I trade vehicles way too often. I am guessing they don't boats because they are too much work and stay swamped with cars and trucks so no need for them.

I understood what ya meant. However they do great work on cars and trucks. They have done every one of mine since mid 90's and that has been several from corvette to new camaro and pickups and jeeps. Yes I trade vehicles way too often. I am guessing they don't boats because they are too much work and stay swamped with cars and trucks so no need for them.

Sounds like you suffer from the same condition I have... my wife calls it "Car A.D.D."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Perfect name for it. Had my last jeep wrangler for 5 months. Loved it. Had just traded a 2010 wrangler in on it but had to get something that would pull a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk