Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Want the crews opinion!

wake1923

I'm not saying this is the problem but some good info. I want to say they had some problems with the Damper plate in the older boats and when I had a dripless shaft seal added to my 06 V-Ride they told me to change the rubber piece between the shaft and the transmission said over time they go bad and can make issues down the road. May have nothing to do with your problem but when a new seal goes out I start thinking something is out of balance or a sleeve bearing has went out. I maybe way off.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/damper-plate-upgrade-r19

The damper plate is between the engine and trans, not the trans/ v-drive to prop shaft. There is no rubber coupling between the v-drive output flange and prop shaft coupler. You are exactly right though that many times seals fail due to the component they seal against not being round, having excessive runout or vibration concerns causing seal failures. Given his short operation times before repeat failure, I suspect poor workmanship over a part failure.

The damper plate is between the engine and trans, not the trans/ v-drive to prop shaft. There is no rubber coupling between the v-drive output flange and prop shaft coupler. You are exactly right though that many times seals fail due to the component they seal against not being round, having excessive runout or vibration concerns causing seal failures. Given his short operation times before repeat failure, I suspect poor workmanship over a part failure.

Your right I need to go to bed LOL. I was way off on the damper plate. :Doh:

I really didn't know what to do never had this kind of issue before and hate I have it now.

I hate to tell you this, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You should NOT have taken it elsewhere and given them exactly what someone there at TNT wanted you to do. You should have been a royal pain in the rear and made them correct the concern you originally paid them to fix. You should not have paid twice unless it was a totally unrelated leak the second time.

All that is over and done at this point. Here is what you do now.

Get very detailed information for he MC dealer on what is leaking, what the cause of the leak was and what the correction was. If this is at all related to what you already PAID TWICE to have fixed at TNT you seek out the head of the service department and ask to be reimbursed for the repair paid at the MC dealer, or your money back from BOTH repairs you paid for from them. As with anything like this they will try to appease you ... It may not be the full value and may be future service or goods with a portion of monikers refunded. If the head of service does not respond favorably, take your concerns to the GM or dealer Principle. If you get nowhere with that. Talk to an attorney. That will usually make them submit. The dealer usually loses about 85% of all court cases like this. They will most likely settle at that point if they already haven't.

Don't go in guns a blazing, be diplomatic and plead your case.

Edited by Bobby Bright
  • Like 1

I feel like the dealer network is really set up for ownership failure. They work in regions for selling boats which is good for them because they don't have direct competition with the same brand, however it is horrible for the consumer if you get a poor dealer. I am sure you would rather not ruin all relations with the dealer because who knows how close another one is but yet you have been wronged.....pretty badly it seems. I would do exactly what has been stated on this thread, since it is a business relationship, however I would make sure I had another dealer or place to take my boat to incase things got really bad.

Edited by UofM_MXZ

They screwed you not once, but twice. I would be demanding my money back. If they don't comply, I would tell them you'll be talking with your lawyer and also with Malibu. You have definetly been way too nice.

Edited by ryangb

That sucks man. TNT rebuilt a lower unit for me several years ago due to a leak. First time I had it out...leaked again but worse. Took it back to them. They told me that it was NOT anything that the had done but was a new leak from another seal. They also told me that someone or themselves could have over tightened some screws causing it to fail. They went through and replaced all seals and didn't charge me a dime. They also gave me a 2 day turn around because I told them I was headed to dale hollow for the weekend. Point is they bent over backwards for me to make it all right. As stated above I would be diplomatic about the whole deal and I REALLY hope they take care of you!

• Like 2

OP had a thread last year about the same issue and repair. What happened to cause a bent strut? I can't quite follow the sequence of events, but hope it gets repaired soon and you get back on the water.

I would also underscore the importance of talking to the OWNER DIRECTLY when things go south like this. Often the owner is so far above the fray they don't know what is going on....moreso prevalent in the larger dealerships.

Edited by nyryan2001

I hate to tell you this, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You should NOT have taken it elsewhere and given them exactly what someone there at TNT wanted you to do. You should have been a royal pain in the rear and made them correct the concern you originally paid them to fix. You should not have paid twice unless it was a totally unrelated leak the second time.

All that is over and done at this point. Here is what you do now.

Get very detailed information for he MC dealer on what is leaking, what the cause of the leak was and what the correction was. If this is at all related to what you already PAID TWICE to have fixed at TNT you seek out the head of the service department and ask to be reimbursed for the repair paid at the MC dealer, or your money back from BOTH repairs you paid for from them. As with anything like this they will try to appease you ... It may not be the full value and may be future service or goods with a portion of monikers refunded. If the head of service does not respond favorably, take your concerns to the GM or dealer Principle. If you get nowhere with that. Talk to an attorney. That will usually make them submit. The dealer usually loses about 85% of all court cases like this. They will most likely settle at that point if they already haven't.

Don't go in guns a blazing, be diplomatic and plead your case.

Bobby I may have not worded my post the right way.I payed once for the seals to be replaced,then took it back the second time and they said they should have put two seals in so they took it out that time for free,then started leaking and they said the strut was bent and this might be the cause so I had them put new strut on it which I payed for that work,now its still leaking and this was when they did not want to work on it any more sorry for the confussion.

OP had a thread last year about the same issue and repair. What happened to cause a bent strut? I can't quite follow the sequence of events, but hope it gets repaired soon and you get back on the water.

thtrog, I dont know what could have happened to cause a bent strut because I havent hit anything that I was aware of.

I would also underscore the importance of talking to the OWNER DIRECTLY when things go south like this. Often the owner is so far above the fray they don't know what is going on....moreso prevalent in the larger dealerships.

nyryan it was the owner that topld me this.

That sucks man. TNT rebuilt a lower unit for me several years ago due to a leak. First time I had it out...leaked again but worse. Took it back to them. They told me that it was NOT anything that the had done but was a new leak from another seal. They also told me that someone or themselves could have over tightened some screws causing it to fail. They went through and replaced all seals and didn't charge me a dime. They also gave me a 2 day turn around because I told them I was headed to dale hollow for the weekend. Point is they bent over backwards for me to make it all right. As stated above I would be diplomatic about the whole deal and I REALLY hope they take care of you!

TNWILSON ,THEY HAVE BEEN GOOD TO ME IN THE PAST BUT NOW THAT THEY DONT SEEM TO KNOW WHAT TO DO THEY DONT WANT TO WORK ON MY BOAT FOR THIS ISSUE ANYMORE.

TNWILSON ,THEY HAVE BEEN GOOD TO ME IN THE PAST BUT NOW THAT THEY DONT SEEM TO KNOW WHAT TO DO THEY DONT WANT TO WORK ON MY BOAT FOR THIS ISSUE ANYMORE.

Seems like now would be a good time to get Malibu involved.

• Like 1

After reading all this I was pretty shocked. I have been a customer of theirs for 10 years and have never had a problem that they did not take care of, even if it was my fault. The one thing I know for sure is if they make a mistake they take care of it. I called them and told them about this thread and asked what happened. They said that the boat came out of Florida and was a Pro boat that needed a lot of work. They pulled the tranny and replaced the seal. When it came back with the same leak they replaced the seals, no charge, and let it sit on the table for a week because it was supposed to be leaking when just sitting. After a week there was no sign of a leak. They ran the boat and found no leak. They said the shaft was out of balance and had some vibration so it was replaced. The owner said that he was sending you a check for what you paid for the repair. I really like those guys and they have always been honest and fair with me and everyone I know. You should have probably talked to them about it before posting on a national forum. I guarantee they would have taken care of it.

After reading all this I was pretty shocked. I have been a customer of theirs for 10 years and have never had a problem that they did not take care of, even if it was my fault. The one thing I know for sure is if they make a mistake they take care of it. I called them and told them about this thread and asked what happened. They said that the boat came out of Florida and was a Pro boat that needed a lot of work. They pulled the tranny and replaced the seal. When it came back with the same leak they replaced the seals, no charge, and let it sit on the table for a week because it was supposed to be leaking when just sitting. After a week there was no sign of a leak. They ran the boat and found no leak. They said the shaft was out of balance and had some vibration so it was replaced. The owner said that he was sending you a check for what you paid for the repair. I really like those guys and they have always been honest and fair with me and everyone I know. You should have probably talked to them about it before posting on a national forum. I guarantee they would have taken care of it.

Different stories..... the OP says not only did he talk to them, but he paid for the 2nd repair.

I agree that it probably isn't a good idea to air it out here. But he seems to have gone as far as he could with the dealer.

So, the OP paid 1500 and they are sending back 750? Correct me if I am wrong.

That is what it sounded like. I can't imagine them refunding the money for a drive shaft that needed to be replaced. They felt like the OP did not damage the shaft and that it was that way when he bought it. They said the boat had over 600 hours on it from a Pro rider in FL. I can't imagine they were gentle hours.

Edited by ride4fun

Yeah I gotcha. I'm just glad he is getting it repaired, I wouldn't say it's a good idea to run the boat with it leaking though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just to clarify a few things the boat came from Boston Ma and a Dr owned it.The boat did have 800sh hours on it when the seal started leaking.I did pay TNT for the first seal repair,but not the second one.I also payed them for a new strut and alignment job not a shaft.I talked to the owner on three occasions to try to get this resolved with no results.I started this post because once you have talked to the owner thats about as far as you can go with a business so I just wanted some opinions.I am not trying to bash TNT or the owner or staff,was just looking for some help with this issue.I did talk to the owner today and he is going to make it right with me.TNT has been good to me in the past it was just this one issue that left me with the same problem after spending all this money and still had the same problem that I started with that was an issue.My boat does have high hours and I have spent alot of time and money in it to get it back in good shape but I dont think that should be a reason for it to be ok for trans fluid to run out in the bilge just because its not a new or low hour boat.

Edited by wake1923