Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spectrum Paste Repair

Any updates on the ebony?

I did a few spots in the ebony on my boat and it worked very well. You can't see them. It was my first time doing a gel coat repair and I'm happy to do it again. Like a moron, I didn't take any before and after pics, but it worked well. I was super happy with the results.

• Like 1

I have a giant gouge on the keel I am attempting next weekend. Like 1" by 4 " right at dead center of the keel.

I think the fiberglass is showing, looks black.... ??

Must've hit something and I want to fill it in at least temporarily until I can get someone to do it right. So bought 2 of the spectrum in white and will attempt it. It sucks because the gouge is right where the boat rests on the front bunks. Right in between the bunks so I can get to it but can't buff it or anything.

thinking about short bunking just to get it home (about 4 miles) and then do it.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/keel-repair-product-advice-533829.html

I also had a thread on here about the repair, mine was on my keel down to the fiberglass. I short bunked mine to give me plenty of room and jacked up the boat to make sure I had enough room for the buffer when I was done.

I have a giant gouge on the keel I am attempting next weekend. Like 1" by 4 " right at dead center of the keel.

I think the fiberglass is showing, looks black.... ??

Must've hit something and I want to fill it in at least temporarily until I can get someone to do it right. So bought 2 of the spectrum in white and will attempt it. It sucks because the gouge is right where the boat rests on the front bunks. Right in between the bunks so I can get to it but can't buff it or anything.

thinking about short bunking just to get it home (about 4 miles) and then do it.

thanks! I actually saw this thread and decided to do mine.

I'm thinking that mine is so deep that I will sand/smooth it out some and apply a thin coat. let it dry. Lightly sand and apply another, then maybe a third if it needs it. It doesn't need to be pretty or perfect , i just want it to last until I can get it professionally done and may even put a keel guard on it.

I have some 14mil 3M film I want to put over the keel, maybe 4 feet long and 2 inches wide but not sure how long it will last. It's like paint protection film but almost twice as thick but still clear.

Don't mean to hijack. I will take some pics and start a new topic on this. My boat is 250 miles away so I can't do much until i get there.

• 1 month later...

Finally bit the bullet and did some gel coat repair last night with the Spektrum gel coat paste. Had a nasty quarter inch size chunk of my regal red removed from my boat by another boats swim deck and a couple of bad scratches in the ebony from docks. I cleaned up the ares with some mineral spirits and mixed up a small batch of red to try first. Goes on easy, although the biggest issue I had was trying to get it to fill in that deep hole and stay fairly smooth. I also applied some with a toothpick on a couple really small spots where the wife came into the trailer a little hot at the ramp one day. I then mixed up a small batch of ebony and did the same thing. Fix the bad scratch first and then tough up really small areas.

After drying overnight I went out and gave it the first wet sand to smooth it out. Wow, this stuff looks/works good. Luckily my red/black colors have not faded over the years and the color match is spot on. I haven't even finished all the wet sanding and polishing yet and unless you know exactly where to look you would never see the fixed area. I will probably go back and add a little bit more to the bad hole in the red, it seems to be just a tad low, but still so much better than it was.

Each color comes in a 2 oz. jar with a small bottle of catalyst. I probably only used a .25oz. of each and had plenty of mix left over. Sorry, no place to post pictures, but this went much better and easier than I was hoping for.