Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Supra burned up on Norris Lake over the weekend

dezul

Same place as on the SeaRay I saw? Below the rear, center seat in front of the v-drive itself. I have a pair of speakers & a 12v outlet there now.

Do you have one BIll, or are you planning on it? I have the same boat and that seems like a good place for it...

Do you have one BIll, or are you planning on it? I have the same boat and that seems like a good place for it...

I don't have one. I'm just thinking out loud & am thinking that I should consider installing one.

On one hand, I'm a cheap SOB & a $20 one is right up my alley. But on the other hand, a polished billet version of this fire port would look better on the likes of any of our boats.

Just thinking out loud....

I guess my thought is if you are spraying from there how much of it is actually going to make it past the V-drive and into the engine bay?

That's where I've seen them installed on other boats. The v-drive only blocks a small percentage of the path so I would think the stuff would spread quickly.

Another option might be on the back of the boat some place. But that seems doomed from the start.

Or don't do it at all & jump.

Like others said, these boats probably go up fast so you only have a small window of opportunity to fire off the extinguisher before your going to have to bail out anyway.

I know of a fire on Lake Union a few years ago. Tons of boats on the docks in a busy harbor area. Boat caught fire. Two guys I worked with happened to be doing a carpet install on a boat nearby. They smelled it, ran over & called out to see if anyone was on the boat (it was like 80' in length). They jumped on board & found a fire extinguisher, but couldn't find the source of the fire thru all the smoke. At some point they didn't think they could do anything & got off the boat, cut the mooring lines & used a dingy to pull it out to the middle of the water & away from the other boats. By that time the fire dept showed up by land. They couldn't do much other than watch it burn. A few minutes later the fire boat showed up & put it out. It was a total loss. They said the whole thing took place in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

That's where I've seen them installed on other boats. The v-drive only blocks a small percentage of the path so I would think the stuff would spread quickly.

Another option might be on the back of the boat some place. But that seems doomed from the start.

Or don't do it at all & jump.

Like others said, these boats probably go up fast so you only have a small window of opportunity to fire off the extinguisher before your going to have to bail out anyway.

I know of a fire on Lake Union a few years ago. Tons of boats on the docks in a busy harbor area. Boat caught fire. Two guys I worked with happened to be doing a carpet install on a boat nearby. They smelled it, ran over & called out to see if anyone was on the boat (it was like 80' in length). They jumped on board & found a fire extinguisher, but couldn't find the source of the fire thru all the smoke. At some point they didn't think they could do anything & got off the boat, cut the mooring lines & used a dingy to pull it out to the middle of the water & away from the other boats. By that time the fire dept showed up by land. They couldn't do much other than watch it burn. A few minutes later the fire boat showed up & put it out. It was a total loss. They said the whole thing took place in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes.

The back of the boat seems pointless because you'd have to climb over the fire to get there (although you can bail easily from the swim platform) and you could easily just spray into the air intakes from there if you were there. No need to add another hole for that.

At any rate I'd be bailing. On the plus side I know have something in the pro list for the stupid electric actuator engine cover lift. I can open the lid and find a fire without burning my face... and then proceed to having everyone bail out.

I love our boat, but I love people more... well the people who I'd invite out on the boat anyway :whistle:

$442. for an automatic fire suppression system.

While i agree that a partially burnt boat would be no fun to deal with afterward, the immediate safety of my crew makes this kind of system the best choice.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/100420F/sea-fire-fm-200-automatic-fire-extinguishers-ft-series.html#list-of-products

100420F-f.jpg

EDIT: a manual (or any) fire suppression system that is coast guard approved can be purchased direct from Sea-Fire. For comparison, an approved manual system for 50 cu ft (which i now realize might not be enough) is $370 direct.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7CJpvQT1YR5dllVeGxKNGtDNzg/edit

Edited by Cervelo
  • Like 2

The back of the boat seems pointless because you'd have to climb over the fire to get there (although you can bail easily from the swim platform) and you could easily just spray into the air intakes from there if you were there. No need to add another hole for that.

At any rate I'd be bailing. On the plus side I know have something in the pro list for the stupid electric actuator engine cover lift. I can open the lid and find a fire without burning my face... and then proceed to having everyone bail out.

I love our boat, but I love people more... well the people who I'd invite out on the boat anyway :whistle:

I agree on all counts.

But at the same time, if the Supra I saw burning at the SeaFair hydro races had done this..... or the guys on Lake Union.... both would very likely caught many other boats on fire too. There is a short span of time where you may have a chance to grab the fire extinguisher & light it off before you bail out. That just may keep the situation from escalating.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I agree on all counts.

But at the same time, if the Supra I saw burning at the SeaFair hydro races had done this..... or the guys on Lake Union.... both would very likely caught many other boats on fire too. There is a short span of time where you may have a chance to grab the fire extinguisher & light it off before you bail out. That just may keep the situation from escalating.

Yeah if avoiding catching more boats on fire is an option I'd definitely try, just saying our boat isn't worth any of our lives.

• Like 1