Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Supra burned up on Norris Lake over the weekend

dezul

Aaaaaaand another smokin deal on a great late model trailer as of today.... this one burnt up on Havasu

27FBBEB4-66C4-44B8-B6BD-CBFB1AD9F860-535

That just happened last weekend. Boat sank while extinguishing the flames. I think if memory serves right it is about 40' deep there. Boats came to the rescue of the passengers.

Boats can be replaced, as painful as that sounds, but as others have said, we carry insurance for a reason. Just make sure your insurance covers salvage as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What typically causes these boats to catch fire?

I realize this question sounds sketchy given my previous posts, but I'm just curious. :)

Fuel problem.

Electrical problem.

Both can be caused by work being done incorrectly. Pretty rare to see fumes causing a fire in a boat with EFI, especially if their using the blower.

... How much oxygen do you think a motor consumes even when it's just idling?

Umm, about 473.9 gallons of air per minute, assuming a 5.7L engine at 625 RPM. That's a lot of air moving under the hood.

Oops, the question was only about oxygen. About 99.2 gallons per minute of O2. No wonder these things burn up so fast.

• Like 2

$18.

Discover engine fires quickly and extinguish them safelywith the three-piece Fire Port. Allows you to visually inspect an engine compartment without opening it and adding oxygen to the fire.

• High-impact plastic and vinyl, it easily installs in minutes

3734464.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/portable-fire-extinguishers/marine-east--fire-port--3734464

To those of you talking about what you would have done in this situation or how you would have done it better until you are in it you probably should carefully think before you judge other ppls actions. This was my mother and for the person saying she had no business boating by herself if you read the article she simply unloaded it and was waiting for my dad which she had done for 15+ years do you know how many couples do this on Norris?!??? They run out to the middle to make room for other ppl loading and unloading and watch for their spouse to come to the dock. And the gauges were reading appropriate running temps the boat had been ran this year already. To everyone else thanks for the non judgements as I agree I would much rather have my mother who recently became a first time grandmother then a replaceable boat ANY day. That boat was in flames in a matter of seconds and she fears boating again now because they don't know why it happened. so please think about ppl and how they may have felt in the situation (in her case terrified) before you make such snap comments.

That was me and good for you for trying to squash the banter on a Internet forum. Glad everyone is OK. Could you tell us what caused the fire? What happened to the Wakeboard tower? How did you discover this online community? Sorry to ask questions. Hope you guys get back on the water soon!

I keep 4 orange vests and my throwable under the observers seat (not in the compartment by under the seat base). It's easy to get to, away from the motor compartment, close to the captains seat and a pain in the arse to get back into place. That seat stays put except in case of an emergency. I believe I am equipped to get my crew out of the boat safely in 60 seconds or less. I have seen boat fires and sinking boats. Drama like that on the water is no fun and when it hits the fan, it happens quickly. Expect the unexpected and be prepared to deal with it when it happens. If you're on the water enough, doo doo will happen.

That was me and good for you for trying to squash the banter on a Internet forum. Glad everyone is OK. Could you tell us what caused the fire? What happened to the Wakeboard tower? How did you discover this online community? Sorry to ask questions. Hope you guys get back on the water soon!

Thank you! We have no clue what caused the fire unfortunately. The wakeboard tower along with all our boards is with the rest of the boat... Gone. No it wasn't "sold on Craigslist" as someone had stated. Comments like that are just uncalled for... I just hate seeing ppl think the worst of ppl without even knowing them. She did the best she knew to do with the way things happened. It may have not been what someone else would have done but you never know til you are thrown into that situation.

Thank you! We have no clue what caused the fire unfortunately. The wakeboard tower along with all our boards is with the rest of the boat... Gone. No it wasn't "sold on Craigslist" as someone had stated. Comments like that are just uncalled for... I just hate seeing ppl think the worst of ppl without even knowing them. She did the best she knew to do with the way things happened. It may have not been what someone else would have done but you never know til you are thrown into that situation.

I think you will find the majority of people on here that don't blame her for jumping ship immediately. I would expect the same from my crew. The little fire extinguishers most people have on their boats would make it very difficult to fight a fire that has high energy combustibles and flammable liquids such as plastics, vinyl, resin, and gasoline. I think am interested in what caused the fire and who is liable for the replacement value of the boat. Has a Supra rep attempted to contact your father about the incident?

I think you will find the majority of people on here that don't blame her for jumping ship immediately. I would expect the same from my crew. The little fire extinguishers most people have on their boats would make it very difficult to fight a fire that has high energy combustibles and flammable liquids such as plastics, vinyl, resin, and gasoline. I think am interested in what caused the fire and who is liable for the replacement value of the boat. Has a Supra rep attempted to contact your father about the incident?

I am not sure about who replaces I know all appropriate ppl have been contacted so all we can do now is wait

Your mom did the absolute right thing. I wouldn't want anyone on my boat try to stick around and fight the fire. Especially my mom. Some people on here think they know everything, and like to pass judgment on others. Dont worry about it. Hopefully everything works out in the end for you and your family.

Edited by ryangb

Your mom did the absolute right thing. I wouldn't want anyone on my boat try to stick around fight the fire. Especially my mom. Some people on here think they know everything, and like to pass judgment on others. Dont worry about it. Hopefully everything works out in the end for you and your family.

I also feel like that sometimes, lol. Once again, if I see SMOKE coming out of the rear lockers myself and everyone in my CREW (excluding wife, grandma, kids, and guests) were going to take a look to access the situation. If I look back and it's a raging inferno I'm grabbing the Soulcraft and jumping!

An engine fire, doesn't give off a little smoke and if it does, it gets big real fast. Helped these people 4 years ago. Injured some and blown from the boat. Don't lift your cover. On a river and hoping it didn't get lodged on a wooden dock. Fire department did get to it from a dock to put it out.

2594943565_cd61f675d1.jpg

I also say let her burn, who really wants to even think about trying to repair your boat after a fire. Crew safety first, if you can't get to life vests, use wakeboard and surfboards off rack, they will keep you floating. I never take anyone out that can't swim in first place.

Have to agree with Cory, hopefully this happens in September, not April.

I also say let her burn, who really wants to even think about trying to repair your boat after a fire. Crew safety first, if you can't get to life vests, use wakeboard and surfboards off rack, they will keep you floating. I never take anyone out that can't swim in first place.

Have to agree with Cory, hopefully this happens in September, not April.

i've taken out out one person over the years that could not swin. They wore a vest the whole time. They were reluctant at first, but I told them that was the only way they were getting on the boat. If something Major went wrong, they're probably the first one to panic.

While I would love to install a fire suppression system, it's a good point about fibreglass burning. I'd let it burn and make sure everyone was off the boat with a lifejacket asap.

i've taken out out one person over the years that could not swin. They wore a vest the whole time. They were reluctant at first, but I told them that was the only way they were getting on the boat. If something Major went wrong, they're probably the first one to panic.

Same. I have some family who love boating but never learned to swim (no idea why.) They wear life vests 100% of the time we're not on shore, I don't care how stupid they feel.

(secretly I'm hoping it shames them into learning to swim too, ha.)

^ They all should invest in an inflatable life vest if they go out often with you. They are less bulky and much more comfortable to wear.

• Like 1

^ They all should invest in an inflatable life vest if they go out often with you. They are less bulky and much more comfortable to wear.

I think if you didn't swim I wouldn't really trust an inflatable. My mom doesn't swim and wears a vest the whole time too.

$18.

Discover engine fires quickly and extinguish them safelywith the three-piece Fire Port. Allows you to visually inspect an engine compartment without opening it and adding oxygen to the fire.

• High-impact plastic and vinyl, it easily installs in minutes

3734464.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/portable-fire-extinguishers/marine-east--fire-port--3734464

I can't even think of a place where you'd put this on a V-drive

I am not sure about who replaces I know all appropriate ppl have been contacted so all we can do now is wait

Glad to hear your mom is ok! That's all that matters. I am sorry this happened to her....must have been terrifying.

This topic has made me stop to think about how I would handle a similar situation. I would most likely have lifted my engine compartment if I saw smoke, not realizing that a fire was present. That could be a very bad thing. (I have overheated my engine once one year on the first trip out because I had forgotten to open the raw water intake valve and there was a little smoke coming out, most likely from the exhaust manifolds getting too hot) That day I already had the engine compartment open to vent and check for leaks etc. Umless I saw a lot of black smoke coming from my engine compartment I might have just assumed it was an overheating issue and lifted the cover to look?? I am glad folks posted this here to get me and maybe some others thinking about what they would do if it happens. I presently keep all my life preservers in the rear storage areas and I see now that that is probably not the best place. I will probably make sure to keep the orange emergency ones and the throwable in the observers compartment from now on.

Anyway, once again, sorry this happened. Hopefully ya'll will figure out waht the cause was and I hope your mom is able to overcome her anxiety and get back on the water soon.

On a side note I always do exactly what your parents have done forever...someone backs me in and I get out of the way and pick them up at the dock when they have parked the truck.

• Like 2

I can't even think of a place where you'd put this on a V-drive

Same place as on the SeaRay I saw? Below the rear, center seat in front of the v-drive itself. I have a pair of speakers & a 12v outlet there now.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky