Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Supra burned up on Norris Lake over the weekend

dezul

Seqouyah isn't far from us. Wonder if it was an overheating issue. I always tell my wife to make sure she watches the gauges when she is driving. As far as putting the fire out, it's what I would have done but I think I would rather my wife or kids just jump overboard. The boat is replaceable and they aren't.

Seqouyah isn't far from us. Wonder if it was an overheating issue. I always tell my wife to make sure she watches the gauges when she is driving. As far as putting the fire out, it's what I would have done but I think I would rather my wife or kids just jump overboard. The boat is replaceable and they aren't.

I agree about the boat being replaceable and putting the family out of harms way. If she is unable to put out the fire or make an attempt at it depending on how bad it was, I think she has no business on the boat by herself. This floating inferno could have drifted to a house boat with people in it, or maybe even burn up your dock. I know you would agree with me now, lol.

I agree about the boat being replaceable and putting the family out of harms way. If she is unable to put out the fire or make an attempt at it depending on how bad it was, I think she has no business on the boat by herself. This floating inferno could have drifted to a house boat with people in it, or maybe even burn up your dock. I know you would agree with me now, lol.

Good point. :biggrin:

she did the right thing. burning boat. tank of gas. get away.

I am not going to disagree completely with you because I do not know the severity of the fire at the moment she observed it.

What else going to catch fire if it's not the engine? What's the purpose of the fire extinguisher?

This type of thing could happen to any of us. Boat operators should know what to do in the event of a fire. If you see smoke in the engine compartment, the first rule is NOT to open the hatch to take a look. As soon as you do, oxygen is introduced and the fire flares up quickly. Many of us know this, but do our wives or kids or anyone else that may operate the boat without us on board know this? This woman obviously didn't. Does everyone on board know the location of the fire extinguisher and how to use it?

When i was looking at our lake neighbor's new Prostar a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the built in fire supression system in the engine compartment. I really liked this feature. I think it's something that other boat manaufacturers should consider installing standard.

• Like 1

When i was looking at our lake neighbor's new Prostar a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the built in fire supression system in the engine compartment. I really liked this feature. I think it's something that other boat manaufacturers should consider installing standard.

While I agree, it's also very easy to install one yourself. I've considered it for a long time but just haven't done it. I've put 2 in my race cars over the years and never needed them, but I have seen others use theirs.

The downside, is that you have a pull switch somewhere, and with kids on the boat you really do not want them setting it off by accident.

While I agree, it's also very easy to install one yourself. I've considered it for a long time but just haven't done it. I've put 2 in my race cars over the years and never needed them, but I have seen others use theirs.

The downside, is that you have a pull switch somewhere, and with kids on the boat you really do not want them setting it off by accident.

I agree about the kids statement. I'll have to see how the system on his Prostar was triggered. I would think there is some kind of safety on it so that it is harder to activate unintentionally.

I would understand if this boat caught fire that quick in Colorado. Wow.

Nice colors on your A22 btw

Perhaps the tower racks drug in water when she turned and it caused gas to spill on the engine. HA!

If you have ever seen a fire on an inboard engine before or been involved in one. You'll jump first. No fire extinguisher is going to help.

In order to use it, you need to open the engine cover, which will result in a bigger fire. Being an EFI engine, something was drastically wrong.

• Like 3

Wow that thing burned to the water level!

Had a SAN 230 burn up on my home lake last year. Didn't burn quite as bad as that supra did but a total loss non the less. Official cause of SAN fire was the remote oil drain line supposedly got cut by the serpentine belt and sprayed engine oil out over the manifolds and caught fire.

I have also pondered putting in a remote fire suppression system for the same reasons. We often boat in waters where the temp is 40's and in the event of a fire by sure everyone would really want to be jumping in 40 degree water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree about the kids statement. I'll have to see how the system on his Prostar was triggered. I would think there is some kind of safety on it so that it is harder to activate unintentionally.

My parents Sea Ray has an onboard system, it is triggered by temperature. Gets too hot in the engine bay and it will automatically trigger.

Edited by blk93jeepzj

So for the sake of understanding....No one would attempt to put out the fire?

I would. I just don't want my wife or kids trying to. It just isn't worth it.

• Like 3

I would like to think I would give it a few shots with the extinguisher and if it didn't work then I am out. No boat is worth getting burnt or killed. That's why we have insurance then we go buy another boat with a few less burn marks.

• Like 3