Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IXFE's LSV 23 Build Pics + Timeline... (bandwidth alert)

IXFE

Am I on the only one shocked by the chronology of the build? I derived the timeline from the metadata on the photos. Most notably...

After coming out of the mold on 4/14 at 3pm, the boat was in the water less than 24 hours later!

Another fun fact... I was also able to confirm that all the pics were taken with the same camera: Nikon Coolpix AW110. Does that make this the official camera of Malibu Boats? LOL.

81d0aF-chXL._SL1500_.jpg

It sure does!

Those pics are very cool... and at the same time remind me that I'm sure glad I don't work there. Is it just me or did the vinyl folks look miserable?

I don't think the vinyl guys look unhappy, but they sure do work hard for their money. They must have strong hands after a couple weeks on the job. There aren't any pictures of it, but the guys who drill the holes in the bottom of the boat have a tough dirty job.

There are 9 holes in the bottom of your boat (not including the running gear).

1 hole: speedo

1 hole: depth finder

1 hole: cold water intake

4 holes: ballast intakes

That's only 7 holes. What are the other two holes?

The starboard side rear ballast tank is a different shape than the port side. It has a cutout. Is that cutout for the trash can? It looks too far back to be for the cooler.

Even after taking this tour in person myself last year, I still love staring at these pictures. I want to go back to Nashville--the CMA festival is coming in June!!!

The starboard side rear ballast tank is a different shape than the port side. It has a cutout. Is that cutout for the trash can? It looks too far back to be for the cooler.

Even after taking this tour in person myself last year, I still love staring at these pictures. I want to go back to Nashville--the CMA festival is coming in June!!!

yeah it's for the trashcan, but my 750s squish it when they are full, so it's not much of a trashcan

Here's a question... why does the bottom hull look gray when it's done? Is that a coat of some sort of backing material? Or is that because the silver flake is the last color they spray? So essentially, the entire inside of the boat is silver flake, but it only shows through where they had masked off the red and and the black. I assume this is the case since the top deck doesn't have this gray look to it (I didn't add any silver to the top)

If that's the case, I guess I can see why they charge so much for flake!

DSCN5164_zps782836c7.jpg

That is the inside of the gel coat up against the fiberglass. I would assume it's a primer for adhesion. That is the painted mold, before any fiberglass or resin has been added.

Edited by Cory

That is the inside of the gel coat up against the fiberglass. I would assume it's a primer for adhesion. That is the painted mold, before any fiberglass or resin has been added.

Okay, makes sense. I just wondered why I didn't see a pic of the top deck like that. Maybe they just didn't snap one.

DSCN5376_zps056630ee.jpg

Maybe I'm being uptight but it bothers me that he'd hang the caulk gun up against the gel like that. I'm sure there is no damage but it's making me cringe looking at that.

Maybe I'm being uptight but it bothers me that he'd hang the caulk gun up against the gel like that. I'm sure there is no damage but it's making me cringe looking at that.

Funny that you picked that up. I did too. I tried to tell myself that it's all good. Then I made a mental note to inspect that area real closely. Lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I'm going to bet every boat with a power wedge has had a caulk gun hung on it just like that.

And they have their shoes on in the boat.

I'm willing to bet every boat with a wedge (from the factory) has... Just seems like at some point you'd mess up at scratch the gel, not all the time but if that were my job I would say the convenience is not worth the risk of scratching it.

Also the shoes in the boat doesn't bother me, in the winter if I'm in the garage working I have shoes on too, it's too cold not to. Also those shoes don't really see any dirt either because they are primarily used in the boat and that is it.

They also are leaving power tools on the vinyl without scratching it I'm sure, of course I think boat owners are more likely to do damage to vinyl with fins than they are with drills etc.

Funny that you picked that up. I did too. I tried to tell myself that it's all good. Then I made a mental note to inspect that area real closely. Lol!

I would too lol. I wouldn't expect to find anything but after seeing that I'd have a hard time not looking :lol:

^^^^ I'm sure you are right, but drilling those holes is an awful mess and those guys have to wear full on suits, goggles, and respirators all day long. During the hot summer, I bet they get mighty uncomfortable.

Edited by Cory

Scratch city. Cool pics IXFE. Inspect that stringer repair too :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics very cool. On a side note I have the same camera works great for me it was more kid friendly than a GoPro.

Am I on the only one shocked by the chronology of the build? I derived the timeline from the metadata on the photos. Most notably...

After coming out of the mold on 4/14 at 3pm, the boat was in the water less than 24 hours later!

Another fun fact... I was also able to confirm that all the pics were taken with the same camera: Nikon Coolpix AW110. Does that make this the official camera of Malibu Boats? LOL.

81d0aF-chXL._SL1500_.jpg