Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat lift owners - anyone with a sling system

Jdubb16

I currently have a I/O but I am finalizing a deal for a 2007 23lsv. My boat lift uses sling straps instead of bunks because we have only about 3' of water when the lake is on the lower side. The sling was not an issue with my I/O as there is nothing under the boat, however, the Bu will have fins, perfect pass paddle wheel, and the drive shaft. I have measured the boat and the spacing of the sling straps and luckily, they are space such that they will go about a foot in front of the fins and between the drive shaft and paddle wheel.

My question is if anyone else here has this set up, what have you done to make sure you pull in to exactly the correct spot and lift the boat with the straps in the needed location.

I might be just overthinking it, but I certainly would not want to start lifting the boat and put pressure on one of these elements.

Thanks for any ideas or advice,

Jdubb

The Hydrohoist brochure states. 3' minimum, but defines it as 22" plus draft which puts me at 49"

Guess the 36" possibility is with a very shallow drafting boat

Thanks

I don't know the answer to your sling question...

A custom cradle can be built where you'd only lose about 5" of clearance below the tracking fins. Also keep in mind that you can power on a bit if the cradle is resting on the ground.. so you'd get an inch or two back. Also keep in mind that the cradle will dig/lower itself if you are powering in -- another inch or two. All this to say, I think you will get equal or better shallow water performance with a cradle vs slings.

My buddy has one of these:

http://www.cypressmarine.com/BOAT_PAGES/wakeboardboats.htm

One thing to note is that slings will warp the boat over time. The constant hanging and pulling inward on the sides of the hull will make it "Taco" so that the center window will not close because it has made the isle narrower.

Does any have a lift cradle made by Cypress Marine, they are in Texas. Their v-shaped cradle looks like a creative design that minimizes the needed water depth. They told me they only need 7" plus the boats draft due to the unique design.

They are sending a quote, we will see how much this thing costs

Thanks

Jdubb

In answer to your first question: I put a "bow stop" rope at a height that would catch just above the bow hook (trailer attachment), so when I pull in the slip I can line the boat up exactly where I want it. I use a cradle but it should work for slings for the time being. I do have to adjust it with water level changes.

Also, you could put some pieces of tape on the top side of your boat where you need the straps to be, and use those as a guide until you've got the hang of it.

Would a better option be to modify the slings to just clip on to the D-Rings on the transom and go through the bow eye, and use those as lift points? Not sure if there are any issues with storing for long periods of time hanging from those points, but I know they're strong enough to lift from there.

Why not build a cradle that sinks below the boat ( just like the trailer) and then use the slings or cables to raise the cradle.

Scott

Edit

Saw them on the gulf mounted to pylons, used cables to lift galvanized bars with runners for the boat.

Edited by Mrsamman

Does any have a lift cradle made by Cypress Marine, they are in Texas. Their v-shaped cradle looks like a creative design that minimizes the needed water depth. They told me they only need 7" plus the boats draft due to the unique design.

They are sending a quote, we will see how much this thing costs

Thanks

Jdubb

Uh.... my buddy has one. He's had a 247 on it for ~3 years. His is galvanized. I see no rust on the seams, etc.

Everyone- thanks for the input. Meeting with the boat lift guy Friday, he actually lives. Few house down from me on the lake. We are going to look at designing a custom cradle, possible V-Shaped to allow for the shallow water entry. I can engineer it and he can build it. He may even be able to use it for other people on the lake that are interested.

Thanks again,

Jdubb

What lake are you on? Myself and a few others have had galvanized cradles made off of our trailers specs. They are much easier than slings and fully support the boat. My old cradle was built off of a square frame and was probably 12"-18" deeper under the boat than this one.

We are on Lake Gaston in NC. I will use the trailer to define where suppoeprts need to go, but the tube frame may have to be shallower than a typical trailer to allow for the shallow condition. I can also minimize how far above the main frame the bunks sit.

I have seen cradles that leave a cut-out for the prop and rudder. this really minimizes the clearance required; not exactly sure how you balance structural integrity and not having a beam that goes all the way across at the back

Rich- this is what I am going to design. I think I can make the cradle rigid enough without the last cross member as it will be omitted at the center of the cradle. I am 3D model this with loads and see how it works. I am sure it is possible, just whether it is economical

Everyone- thanks for the input. Meeting with the boat lift guy Friday, he actually lives. Few house down from me on the lake. We are going to look at designing a custom cradle, possible V-Shaped to allow for the shallow water entry. I can engineer it and he can build it. He may even be able to use it for other people on the lake that are interested.

Thanks again,

Jdubb

Lake Gaston, would it happen to be Adam Fields dad at Doozie Boat lifts?

No, he is close and so is Adam Field's house ( about a three minute boat ride), but the guy near me owns Ultimate Boat Lifts. Those two companies are pretty much out here. I do have a Doozie jet ski lift though. Both companies are great and have great people.