Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 VLX Taking On Water

Hey guys,

So this season will be the 2nd for me owing my boat. 2010 VLX with a LS3... love that engine. Anyway every time I put it in the water it will take on enough water to be about 3-4" over the center drain plug handle, so about wrist deep. It will only take on that amount then from the positive pressure it doesn't fill anymore than that. Last year we had it sitting in the water for 14 days and it never had more or less than the wrist deep every morning when I would check it. So that said, I have checked everything under the boat and all looks good, tracking fins tight etc. I asked a friend who has had Malibu in the past and he tells me it is a very common problem for the power wedge wires to leak. It is in winter storage right now but I checked them the other day and there is zero silicone sealing them, they just go through and it looks like they are to self seal if that is possible. So the question I pose is... Do I get some marine grade silicone and carefully run a bead around the outside and inside of the rubber wire grommets and let dry, then repeat maybe even a couple more times to try to see if that's the issue?

Thanks!

One more thing to check - the bolts that hold the swim platform brackets on. My father-in law for a couple years could not figure out how water kept getting into the boat (Response). One day I took a look at it while in his garage and looked at every hole in the hull - found a couple loose bolts holding on the platform. Not loose enough that you would notice on the platform but it had broken the sealant around the bracket and the water would slosh in from wave action. Removed the bracket, coated in 4200 and reinstalled - dry as a bone since then.

Edited by oldjeep

Possible on any thru hull, but also check all of the water discharges. Trans and engine coolant hoses. Also if you have a lake temp gauge sometimes if it is off,there is a good chance water is leaking on the return side and it is warmer then the intake side. Also ballast intake points and connections to tank/bag. Just a couple thoughts.

+1 on dripless shaft seal, had two fail in two different boats. Ironically both were at about 125 hours. I am assuming you have a water cooled dripless seal. On both it was obvious I had a leak while drive shaft was spinning.

All good info guys. I think the first time I dip it in I will just leave it on the trailer and back it in fairly far, then I will try and see if I can see where the water is coming in from.

Maybe your bilge pump isn't pumping all the water out. Where is the water level in relation to the bilge pump?

It shouldn't even be leaking in enough for your bilge to run.

It shouldn't even be leaking in enough for your bilge to run.

:plus1: I have the dripless shaft seal on my boat and the bilge stays bone dry.

Maybe it's not leaking. The water level never gets higher than wrist deep. Isn't the bilge pump (on his v-drive) at the rear and doesn't ever remove all the water?

I had a hose leaking on my first outing. Noticed water I my bilge and went over the motor and found the leak off the bottom of the hose. you may need to have a buddy drive to as you watch in case it's something that leaks when in motion.

Another way to check is to fill the bilge with water while the boat is on the trailer and see where it leaks out

Try this first. If you can't find a leak then start checking mechanical components like packing and hoses.