Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bypassing ignition for stereo on 2014vlx

spikew919

Has anyone added a stereo switch on the new Malibu's so can power the radio without turning on everything? And if so which wire under the dash just powers the radio? Not feeling tracing it out if someone has already done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This can be done, I did this with both of my VLX's, unfortunately my stereo installer actually performed the work. Mine is set up to just allow the head unit/full system to turn on without having the ignition button pressed on the dash. I think all you have to do is find the hot wire from the head unit and run it to a different power source that does not tie into the ignition hot. I can try and send my installer an email to see exactly what he did and get back to you. The reason it is wired this way is because if you use Maliview to control your stereo it makes sense, but if you go with a seperated system (ie: WS 420 SQ, external Ipod connection) then its a waste. I have never used a stereo function on the Maliview.

I am not running a head unit, and wired a switch so I would not need the rest of the boat on. I assume it would be wired in the same manner

Run your power wires from your HU to the battery

grab power for the switch from the same source.

Remote turn on from your HU to the switch and the amps.

May not need the remote turn on to go to the switch since there is a HU

I appreciate the input. I know how to do it and have the switch to install. Just wish they had numbered the wires so wouldn't have to trace all the way from the radio which is actually mounted with the amps, all the way around to ignition source under the dash. I mean if I knew which wire would be a lot simper than tracing or pulling a whole new wire from radio over. But if your stereo guy knows which wire that would be perfect. Loving the new boat just not the radio set up yet.

Just spoke with my dealer and he says turn the keyed ignition one click counter clockwise and just the radio will power up. Worth a shot. Will post if it works that way this evening

can't you just follow the wire from the fuse panel under the dash? I would think (just thinking out loud) you could use those same wires for your switch, just add an inline fuse. might need a relay

Edited by wakebrdr94

No fuse panel. Has breakers over under the throttle. All CPU under dash going to touch screens. And then wires go down under the floor then come up inside where the amps in storage area. Where the actual radio is. Kinda hard to trace. But looks like I am gona have to bite the bullet and either pull a wire or trace that one out myself. I already have marine rocker switch and wire to do it, just trying to take the easy way I guess.

Don't figure it's good leaving that computer that runs the pretty much everything on as much as i do the radio. Plus when you turn the switch on the blower automatically comes on. And would be way simpler for the kids also.

Bit the bullet traced it out myself. Total of an hour. Turned out great. Everything still works but can turn power to radio with a flip of a switch.

ahopkins22LSV

Bit the bullet traced it out myself. Total of an hour. Turned out great. Everything still works but can turn power to radio with a flip of a switch.

Did you add a separate ACC switch under the throttle?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone added a stereo switch on the new Malibu's so can power the radio without turning on everything? And if so which wire under the dash just powers the radio? Not feeling tracing it out if someone has already done it.

No reason to add a switch or anything like that, you already have one on the RFX 55 remote on your dash. Pretty simple. You to tie the RED wire coming out of the headunit into the yellow wire coming out of the headunit. The yellow wire is the one that offers constant powerm the red one lets the box know when it is ok to use that power. The red one comes tied into the Malivue Ignition on the boat. That is why the Maliview has to be on the listen to your stereo.

I think is silly to have to run the Malivuew computer in order listen to the radio / battery sucker!

<br />No reason to add a switch or anything like that, you already have one on the RFX 55 remote on your dash. Pretty simple. You to tie the RED wire coming out of the headunit into the yellow wire coming out of the headunit. The yellow wire is the one that offers constant powerm the red one lets the box know when it is ok to use that power. The red one comes tied into the Malivue Ignition on the boat. That is why the Maliview has to be on the listen to your stereo.<br /> <br />I think is silly to have to run the Malivuew computer in order listen to the radio / battery sucker!

Had rather have the rocker switch, never know when that rf remote screen buttons work or not, (kinda finicky) and I might add, the yellow wire is pretty small powering both the memory and trying to power head unit. But to each his own. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahopkins22LSV

No reason to add a switch or anything like that, you already have one on the RFX 55 remote on your dash. Pretty simple. You to tie the RED wire coming out of the headunit into the yellow wire coming out of the headunit. The yellow wire is the one that offers constant powerm the red one lets the box know when it is ok to use that power. The red one comes tied into the Malivue Ignition on the boat. That is why the Maliview has to be on the listen to your stereo.

I think is silly to have to run the Malivuew computer in order listen to the radio / battery sucker!

So then you would just turn the stereo on/off with the power button the touch screen remote right?

If you tie the red to yellow, be sure to unhook the white with blue stripe. But keep the purple connected behind the amp board. Then yes the power button on rf remote should power it on and off. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Good stuff. Why, may I ask, does the white/blue wire need to be disconnected? Everything else makes sense to me.

. If I remember correctly, the white and blue if left connected will backfeed power to relay and energize both screens anyway without dash switch being energized. It's kinda screwy how it's all wired up. Love my rocker switch I added. Simplicity at its best, to me anyway.