Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Service

Are there any reccomendations on what fluid to run in the transmission in my 1990 Malibu Euro F3? I drained the fluid out to change and it kind of looked like motor oil. Is there aspecial fluid for these?

Thanks,

Your specific transmission model will specify the exact type of fluid to be used.

That said, I had an '89 model with a 1:1 Borg Warner Velvet Drive transmission. http://www.dintra.com/download/Velvet%20Drive%20%20Owner's%20Manual.pdf. It too used an oil that was not died ATF red color; it was either C-3 hydraulic fluid or standard 30wt oil.

Edited by GlassMaster
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I changed the trans fluid in my Malibu this week as well and came across this thread while researching to verify I had used the correct oil. Everything I have researched says when the transmission was manufactured it called for an old style hydraulic oil but everyone in todays world is using DEXRON III as it exceeds the reguirements of the original fluid.

Thanks for the manual 'GlassMaster' that is a huge help. I did not realize that the oil cooler should be drained as well, I changed the fluid last night but did not empty the cooler lines. I may run this fluid through it as is then change the fluid again in a few weeks.

FYI in that manual 'GlassMaster' posted it says specifically to use DEXRON II, TYPE F, or any hydraulic fluid which meets the C-3 oil specification.

@maroon88iroc: You did not mention which fluid you actually used, one key note mentioned is to not mix the oils. One reason not to change type since both work just fine.

@maroon88iroc: You did not mention which fluid you actually used, one key note mentioned is to not mix the oils. One reason not to change type since both work just fine.

I put Dexron III in it since that is what I had on hand and have no clue what was in it before..