Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who's gonna be the first to buy this and bolt it to a BU? (Flow)

t a

Yes, I'd be interested in the price of the Wicked Wake. It's probably $40-50 in parts (HDPE + some SS bolts and clamps); so $100 shipped would probably be reasonable. Beyond that, I dunno, it looks a bit homemade.

Please let us know when you hear back from them.

thanks

I inquired as well. Looks like they are still in the development stage. 250 bucks. Not too bad as long as it works!! We shall see

I talked with him tonight. He is trying to get back with everyone ASAP.

Edited by dhut76

I think it depends on the year/model. He hasn't done an early model Sunsetter LXi with the stepped transom. I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig. The only reason I may not do it is because if it works well I would like to automate like martiinarcher and many others and I don't see this as an investment that I can reuse.

Has anyone heard back from these guys? I have emailed them and PM on facebook with no luck?

Edited by jgreato

What about the switchbladewake.com

Anyone try it?

That was an option on my Centurion Enzo, and it really isn't a divergence device. The word on the Enzo was that it was not necessary...

Really like the idea of the Moomba gate though - doesn't look any less durable than the Nautique NSS... Be curious to see what kind of #'s of force is exerted on the plate.

I'm guessing many hulls can handle this kind of pressure. I've replaced a swim deck - which if you think about the force they hold... think of 2 200 lb people standing out on a lever 2' lever from the hull... using a simple calculator, the amount of force exerted on the hull is roughly 5000 lbs. The mount on my last hull for the swim deck was simply threaded into the glass - not through-bolted... Don't quote me on those force figures...

I'm guessing there is not even 5k of force being exerted on these tabs, could probably be mounted right into the hull. Just my guess!

What about the switchbladewake.com

Anyone try it?

There is a 24' Enzo on our lake with one. It's pretty wild. He has probably one of, if not the biggest wake on the lake. Even considering the 21' VLX with 2500 lbs in it, and the new X45 that showed up this year. The wake behind this Enzo is unreal.

Driving with it is an event. Going forwards it pivots with the rudder so the boat tends to steer far better than my Vride with the Wedge down..... probably about on par with the Vride with just ballast. Going backwards it messes with you..... he has a way of juking it to one side or the other, which makes it more predictable in reverse. Not that it is any more controllable than our boats, but at least you know it's doing to pull predictably to whichever side.

The cool thing about it is that it will angle in such a way that it will act as a Wedge & pull the boat transom downward, or you can adjust the angle so that it acts as a trim tab & lifts the transom of the boat. Not such a big deal on little old Liberty Lake. But would be great if your out on Coeur d'Alene or Pend O'Reille or the Columbia River when the wind & waves start to kick up.

The numbers for your platform example would be:

400 lbs of people

2' from the transom

screws attached at transom at transom level and -6" from transom level

Top screws have 1,400 lbs of force pulling away from transom

Bottom screws have 1,4000 lbs of force pushing into transom

400 lbs of vertical load spread out between them

The numbers for your platform example would be:

400 lbs of people

2' from the transom

screws attached at transom at transom level and -6" from transom level

Top screws have 1,400 lbs of force pulling away from transom

Bottom screws have 1,4000 lbs of force pushing into transom

400 lbs of vertical load spread out between them

Thanks - how were you calculating that? I was using a simple lever/force calculator, I guess it wasn't that far off.

So what do you think - more or less force on these Moomba devices?

I'm a structural engineer so I just knocked out a few statics calcs. I have to run enough of those calcs a day I have nightmares about them.

As far as how much stress the Moomba devices place on the boat, I have no clue. I sucked in my hydraulics class (basically fluid dynamics). So I'm not going to pretend I can get the forces right on that. But if someone can give me how much force is on the extended plate and the dimensions of the plate and mount I could give you an answer.

It sure doesn't look that big - I'd say it is likely no larger than 8" by 4" just eyeballing it on a boat and comparing it to size of letters, grab bar, etc.

As for force, boy that is a good question... found this online:

Drag depends on the properties of the fluid and on the size, shape, and speed of the object. One way to express this is by means of the drag equation:

99a6015b6a230860c9b1517b238e5de9.png

where

FD is the drag force, ρ is the density of the fluid,[9]v is the speed of the object relative to the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area, and CD is the drag coefficient – a dimensionless number.

The drag coefficient depends on the shape of the object and on the Reynolds number:

75916c29619aeb2469f0d2cc735324fd.png

where D is some characteristic diameter or linear dimension and ν is the kinematic viscosity of the fluid (equal to the viscosity μ divided by the density). At low Reynolds number, the drag coefficient is asymptotically proportional to the inverse of the Reynolds number, which means that the drag is proportional to the speed. At high Reynolds number, the drag coefficient is more or less constant. The graph to the right shows how the drag coefficient varies with Reynolds number for the case of a sphere.

It sure doesn't look that big - I'd say it is likely no larger than 8" by 4" just eyeballing it on a boat and comparing it to size of letters, grab bar, etc.

As for force, boy that is a good question... found this online:

Drag depends on the properties of the fluid and on the size, shape, and speed of the object. One way to express this is by means of the drag equation:

99a6015b6a230860c9b1517b238e5de9.png

where

FD is the drag force,

ρ is the density of the fluid,[9]

v is the speed of the object relative to the fluid,

A is the cross-sectional area, and

CD is the drag coefficient – a dimensionless number.

The drag coefficient depends on the shape of the object and on the Reynolds number:

75916c29619aeb2469f0d2cc735324fd.png

where D is some characteristic diameter or linear dimension and ν is the kinematic viscosity of the fluid (equal to the viscosity μ divided by the density). At low Reynolds number, the drag coefficient is asymptotically proportional to the inverse of the Reynolds number, which means that the drag is proportional to the speed. At high Reynolds number, the drag coefficient is more or less constant. The graph to the right shows how the drag coefficient varies with Reynolds number for the case of a sphere.

NERD! :lol: I can say 'cause I understand what you're saying.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how much it is???

Just surfed an A20 with this bolted on it made the wave quite a bit longer and it had a lot of push. He got both sides for $300. Very simple but does not fold. If it did I think he would have a winner.

He had it ratchet strapped on to see if he liked it. I am now considering building my own homemade gate.

This was the http://www.wickedwakesurf.com product to clarify.

Edited by jb 156

wickedwakesurf looks a lot like a simple fixed mount surfgate. Suprised Malibu hasn't taken them down yet. I wouldn't spend $300 for that. You could easily make them yourself for less than $50. They were nice enough to put lots of pics on their website for DIY fabrication....

wickedwakesurf looks a lot like a simple fixed mount surfgate. Suprised Malibu hasn't taken them down yet. I wouldn't spend $300 for that. You could easily make them yourself for less than $50. They were nice enough to put lots of pics on their website for DIY fabrication....

I bet once you add up all the little stuff it would probably cost $200

Just surfed an A20 with this bolted on it made the wave quite a bit longer and it had a lot of push. He got both sides for $300. Very simple but does not fold. If it did I think he would have a winner.

He had it ratchet strapped on to see if he liked it. I am now considering building my own homemade gate.

This was the http://www.wickedwakesurf.com product to clarify.

The product we started talking about was the Moomba Flow, http://www.wakemakers.com/resources/moomba-boats-flow-surf-system/. I was in the stern of the boat working on my stereo remote today, I'd be surprised if this Moomba product couldn't be easily installed with through-bolts to a Malibu.

My old Enzo would have been much more difficult given the way the hull was constructed, but I bet it could have worked somehow. Curious to see if any puts it on.