Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How Many Hours Does it Take to Pull Out Motor?

I have some conflicting input on the amount of time it will take to remove the motor and strip it down to just the long block in a 2008 VLX (HH 383). Does 10-15 hours sound right?

Thanks!

Indmar is basically throwing my mechanic under the bus (Indmar certified). My mechanic quoted 10-15 hours just to pull it out and strip to the long block and do some investigation as to why a rebuilt motor with only 80 hours had a piston detonate (2 hours of basic investigation) plus another 10-12 to install new long block and components. Making total hours 20-30.

Indmar says, that it should only cost $1500 to remove the current long block and install a new long block (using the existing components). Which in sunny California equates to 8-10 hours of TOTAL labor to pull long block and install long block.

Indmar is basically throwing my mechanic under the bus (Indmar certified). My mechanic quoted 10-15 hours just to pull it out and strip to the long block and do some investigation as to why a rebuilt motor with only 80 hours had a piston detonate (2 hours of basic investigation) plus another 10-12 to install new long block and components. Making total hours 20-30.

IMHO, he's right.

Indmar says, that it should only cost $1500 to remove the current long block and install a new long block (using the existing components). Which in sunny California equates to 8-10 hours of TOTAL labor to pull long block and install long block.

IMHO, they're wrong.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Indmar is wrong on the total but not by much, your mechanic is pushing it on his total. Without knowing how much of the boat has to be removed to pull the engine I can't guess on that. V drives can clearly be a pain. So if parts of the boat have to be removed, then your mechanic may be closer. Pulling an I/O stern drive single is only a few hours and the same to replace. Stripping it to a long block is a couple hours at best. You aren't even pulling the heads, just the accessories.and the intake. Same with the replacement. It will take longer as you need to replace gaskets and Tq bolts etc, but not 10-12 hours.

• 4 months later...