Sign in to follow this  
Web

Stainless Steel Fenders

Web

My Extreme trailer is pushing 2 1/2 years old and am really disappointed with how its holding up. Besides a host of other problems I have had with it, I have a BAD rust problem. Its that diamond plate that catches water and promotes rust around the step pads.

I am gonna have it repainted soon and was gonna put on some SS fenders but I cant find a source to purchase them. Extreme wants too much $ for them and I was hoping somebody had a link to a supplier. I know of only one supplier and they are in Pacomia, CA , Fenders n more, but I cant find a # for them.

Anybody know where I can pick some up at reasonable price?

WakeGirl

Have you tried a trailer shop? Our last boat had some serious wear on the trailer & I looked at getting either diamond plate or SS fenders & I didn't have a hard time finding them through a local trailer shop.

Jimmy Buffett

I think Waymire carries them. Not on their website, but I think it's in their catalog.

MIKEGOUGH1

Try these guys, EMPTRAILERPARTS.COM., maybe they have what your looking for.

John I.
Web Posted Today, 08:27 AM

... I have a BAD rust problem. Its that diamond plate that catches water and promotes rust around the step pads.

I've noticed the same thing on my trailer and have seen it mentioned elsewhere, so I think it's a common problem. Do you plan any modifications to prevent it from happening again? ( drill drainage holes through step before painting it and re-applying diamond plate, use washers or spacers to raise diamond plate so water doesn't accumulate, ...???)

actionadd

If you have a Tractor Supply store in your area they sell trailer fenders.

Web
Web Posted Today, 08:27 AM

... I have a BAD rust problem. Its that diamond plate that catches water and promotes rust around the step pads.

I've noticed the same thing on my trailer and have seen it mentioned elsewhere, so I think it's a common problem. Do you plan any modifications to prevent it from happening again? ( drill drainage holes through step before painting it and re-applying diamond plate, use washers or spacers to raise diamond plate so water doesn't accumulate, ...???)

I am gonna figure out something besides the diamond plate. Not sure yet.

Anybody with a new Extreme trailer with the diamond plate or no rust yet I would recommend putting some waterproof type sealant along the entire edge of the diamond plate. Actually I would take it off and put a big fat bead around the entire edge. Maybe even drill weep holes like John suggests. Or you will get rust

HoustonPerson

I have stainless fenders on my trailer, did not cost too much when ordered with the whole deal HA! I like them a lot, I did not put the rubber tread on top, cause I think it looks neater that way. Once disadvantage, don't let people step on them, they scratch real easy, or if wet, you will slip and break your ? Just have people step on the back of the trailer and onto the swim deck, that is real easy, even for old folks, take shoes off, and just crawl in.

Edited by HoustonPerson

Kellyb

I have had a small list of problems with my Extreme as will. Extreme re-painted one side of the step because the rust was so bad after 1.5 years. Not happy about how poorly the paint holds up.

Kelly

SmoothWaterMan

What size fender - 8", 9", 10", tandem or single?

36" axle centers?

Web

9" Tandem trailer. Looks like overall length is 66"

SmoothWaterMan

$360 plus shipping, for the pair.

Steel (to paint) is about $150/pair.

Peter.

Web

Thanks Peter...great price....I will hit you up when I get ready to buy...still deciding on if I am gonna leave the stock 215/75/14 wheels & tires or bump up to some 15's or 16's with a wider tire.

Do you have a 10" fender?

Steve

SmoothWaterMan

Yes, but you don't want to spend the cash on it. 10" is hard to find, and currently it's about a $300 upgrade over the 9". But if you're going to low pro 16's..... :)

jcbatt

Hmmm I may have to see how mine are fastened (i.e. welded or bolted)... sure would be nice to upgrade to Stainless.

SmoothWaterMan

If your trailer is a Performance brand (Lake George, NY, sold by East Coast FC) it's welded on. Sorry.

Peter.

jcbatt

Yup, it is. Oh well, as least the wife will be happy I didn't find something else to spend money on.

Web

If i go to a 15" rim, what tire sizes will work with the 9"W wheel?. I am guessing 215 width is max.

And I can use a automobile wheel right?