cyclone18

Oil pressure gauge giving issues

cyclone18

My oil pressure gauge on the dash of my '02. SS Lxi with 365 hammerhead is giving me issues. Sometimes the gauge doesn't work at all, others it reads right off the dial and then other times it works perfect. Any ideas on where i should be starting?? Thanks

RTS

I'd start by replacing the sending unit....especially if it is original. Pretty good chance that's the problem.

tccombs

check out your connections first on your guages and sending unit

tvano

check the canon connector, too

Indebound
check the canon connector, too

What/where is the canon connector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WheelerWake

I don't want to be the "prophet of doom" but these are the symptoms of a sticking oil pressure relief valve. It's probably an electrical problem, but you might not want to run it to much while it's indicating no oil pressure. Can check by installing a cheap aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge where the sending unit is.

I had a car doing this before, sometimes it would have no pressure, sometimes it would blow the gasket off the oil filter.

electricjohn

What/where is the canon connector?

It is called the cannon plug and will be on the starboard side of your motor, somewhat towards the back of the motor. It is the plug that connects the dashboard wiring to your motor.

Agman

Its the sending unit or pressure switch, i had to replace mine 2 yrs ago and they work fine now- got them from Bakesonline.

Indebound

Ok yea I replaced my sending unit two years ago too. Wondering what else there was.

Anyone ever see your oil gauge just drop while planing? I heard it was a broken weld but maybe it's that connector? Optimistically thinking...