Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A couple basic maintenance questions

Indmar 2011 Monsoon.

First: I think I have identified the PCV valve and would like to know how to change it. Is it the little 90 degree thing in the picture here beneath the oil drain hose clip?

IMG_20140420_225757588_zpsf62daade.jpg

From what I've read... just pull up on the thing and then stick a new one in there. Is it that simple? Any pitfalls/ways to screw this up? Do I really need to be doing this?

What is the similar looking hose going into the engine on the other side for? I followed it down and it just ends as an open tube near the flame arrestor. Is this the breather hose?

Second question. Cleaning/replacing the flame arrestor. That thing looks pretty stuffed in there and not easy to get at. Any tips for getting it out? Do I really need to be taking this off every year?

Thanks in advance.

yes, it is that simple to replace, pull it out, put a new one in....the hose on the other side is designed to suck back in any oily fumes that come out of the valve cover...

the breather gets clogged with any of the oily residue and if loaded up with oil it could catch on fire should your motor backfire.(not likely, but possible) also, it can become clogged with dirt and dust and pollen and other airborne pollutants...which in turn will decrease airflow to your motor....

So, to answer your question, Yes you should take your flame arrestor off annually and clean it (I do mine when I winterize it) ...I like to spray mine with a can of starting fluid from both sides until it is totally clean...Some people like to soak it in parts cleaner, but unless you have an air compressor and an air jet, it is not likely to dry out....the starting fluid evaporates totally, leaving you with a sparkly clean arrestor....

hope this helps...

• Like 1

Are you replacing the PCV valve for maintenance or because there is a problem? I would think on a 2011 it should be fine, is your engine not running properly? My flame arrestor I usually do every other year, every time I take it out to clean it, there really is no dirt or sign of it being clogged. If you think about a car air filter and how many hours the vehicle runs before needing replaced or cleaned, a boat air filter can go quite awhile and how often do you drive your boat in dusty conditions.

Are you replacing the PCV valve for maintenance or because there is a problem? I would think on a 2011 it should be fine, is your engine not running properly? My flame arrestor I usually do every other year, every time I take it out to clean it, there really is no dirt or sign of it being clogged. If you think about a car air filter and how many hours the vehicle runs before needing replaced or cleaned, a boat air filter can go quite awhile and how often do you drive your boat in dusty conditions.

Just deciding to do my own maintenance going forward. The manual lists the PCV valve and flame arrestor as check points yearly (although also lists spark plus annually which no one seems to do). Sounds like the downside to checking the PCV valve or replacing it yearly is minimal... but the long term downside to a clogged one is significant. The K&N website lists the recommended maintenance free period as something like 50,000 miles + for their filter. Just trying to sort out what I really need abide by in the manual.