Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Bunk Repair

Around here is not as bad as you would think. The spendy part is the labor involved to hoist it off the trailer. If the repair is only as big as you stated, and is only one color, Black right? I would guess about $5 bills all totaled up. It's really not that much once you subtract materials and labor to get it off the trailer. Not much if you have ever payed for auto body work these days.

But your area may be different. We have an excellent Gel guy at AWS , we are lucky.

Edited by Bobby Bright

My dealer uses him, he repaired a chip under warranty last year and it was incredible workmanship, I still can't find it. He has a color matching machine to get the color exact. $500 sounds reasonable, plus I would get to repair my trailer without hauling it to the lake. I will see tomorrow, you guys are very fortunate with AWS, they seem to really take care of everything.

So your dealer uses Cary? What do they do, fly him down for the weekend? This is the first I have heard of this. Lol.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Lol, him is actually Mel... But they sound like they both know there craft. And yes, my hull is all black. I always thought taking the boat off a trailer was quite easy with a hoist, a few straps and up she goes... Sounds like it's not that simple?

What are everyone's thoughts on using hex bolts, fastening the wood on before carpeting, and then just making little cutouts on the underside where the mounts are as you're stapling the carpet? Eliminates the chance of having a spinning carriage bolt.

Edited by aggie08

Lol, him is actually Mel... But they sound like they both know there craft. And yes, my hull is all black. I always thought taking the boat off a trailer was quite easy with a hoist, a few straps and up she goes... Sounds like it's not that simple?

As long as they have a hoist, it is that simple.

ahopkins22LSV

What are everyone's thoughts on using hex bolts, fastening the wood on before carpeting, and then just making little cutouts on the underside where the mounts are as you're stapling the carpet? Eliminates the chance of having a spinning carriage bolt.

If you countersink the bolt far enough and with a big enough hole to get a socket around it that would work fine I would think. Would just have to rip/cut the carpet off if you every had to remove the bunk again.

This is being way over analyzed.. If I can't drill three holes, countersink a carriage bolt, staple and glue on some carpet then I need some serious carpentry 101 refresher! It's pretty basic, and I prefer the carriage bolt method, it just seems more solid of a fit to me.

My bid for gel repair came in just about what Bobby predicted, which I am pretty pleased with considering he custom color matches the gel and it saves me a trip to the lake with trailer access in his lot to repair the bunk.

Interesting, he is repairing two Nautique's right now a G25 and G23 from the factory that had gel issues. One is a purple metallic repair, it's a G25... I guess even Nautique has a glitch from the factory even now and then. Both of these boats dwarf my VLX, they are truly massive! Almost intimidatingly huge... I am 6'1 and I can't even look into the boat standing on the trailer without pulling myself up!! The G25 is a triple axle, what a beast of a boat... I want to get a pic of my VLX next to the G23, it would be like David and Goliath!

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

Sure Nautique has its quality issues. Every manufacture in the world is going to have some issues. It's the frequency of the issues and the support that matters in the end.

Hey glad your getting it taken care of Fman, this is the wrong time of year to have boat/trailer issues!

My wife came in sideways on the trailer Friday and took a good chunk of trailer bunk out. I am going to completely replace the entire piece. I have never done this before and had a few questions.

What type of wood is being used? I was thinking a pressure treated 2x4?

What type of felt material is used to cover the bunk and where can I purchase it?

Are the bunk bolt holes counter sunk into the wood to keep bolt head flush?

I am going to have to launch the boat and make the repair in a parking lot, I am trying to figure out exactly what tools I will need to have no surprises once the boat is off the trailer. It looks like a pretty easy repair, any other info anyone has would be appreciated.

Do you think the sharks fins did this or just speed? Or something else?

The tracking fins nailed the bunk because she came in too fast, bounced off the guide pole and bumped the throttle. It's was a 1-2-3 combo punch!

This is exactly why I don't put the trailer deep in the water, I usually have fenders just under water. After she pulls it on I back down the trailer a couple feet and hand crank it on.

Edited by Fman

I agree FMan. I've seen many marriages end at the dock. Not worth getting super mad over material things. My wife is way more important to me than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen, I never want my wife or anyone else to feel like they can't have a great time on our boat! she is actually a pretty good driver. It's why we have one, to spend time with her, my kids, family and friends. It's no trailer queen, we run it hard and eventually something will happen. Only good thing about a boat mishap is that means you were out on the water using it!

• Like 2

Funny to read this becase I did the same thing (but I can't blame my wife). I did not break the bunk but just sliced about a 2-3" sliver out of the left side of the right inside bunk. I put a screw in there to keep it from splitting and made sure the carpet lies flat. This is something that I need to take care of soon. I now walk it on the trailer.

I think I might just do that. I have to be to work by 1. Think we might be able to get a quick set in, in between repairs? ;-). have you already gotten your fasteners and all? Let me know what you got. I havent really looked close into what I need becasue it hasnt really bothered me much. I think you mentioned you got carpet at West Marine. How does it match? I measured it a while ago. Was it 8'? I will PM or text you if I can make it and find out what time you're thinking.

Nope, deeper trailer raises the possibility of this happening, and hitting the prop whiling doing so.

I have NEVER walked any of my boats onto the trailer. Always power load and I only hit the prop on the trailer one time. It was a STEEP gravel ramp and the trailer had to be pretty deep .

The bunks will actually guide you straight on when the trailer is set to the right depth.

• Like 1

I think I might just do that. I have to be to work by 1. Think we might be able to get a quick set in, in between repairs? ;-). have you already gotten your fasteners and all? Let me know what you got. I havent really looked close into what I need becasue it hasnt really bothered me much. I think you mentioned you got carpet at West Marine. How does it match? I measured it a while ago. Was it 8'? I will PM or text you if I can make it and find out what time you're thinking.

I picked up a 2x4x12' at home Depot, I pre cut it 122 1/4", and also painted it black. I only painted it because the others were also spray painted. The carpet I picked up at lakeside marine in Rocklin for $1.60/ft. I have 12mm 1/2" staples with some spray on high tack glue. My plan was to remove the bunk match it up, drill the holes, countersink them, install carpet and reinstall. I also have some marine silicone to put on the nut/bolt.

Total cost was about $30. I get off work Tues morning at 8am, head over to get my boat at gel shop, then head over to the lake. I should be there around 9:30ish if all goes to plan. Your more than welcomed to use my staple gun and spray adhesive.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1