Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best surf boat, $50k budget...?

IXFE

This is all so comical. 7 pages and the OP hasn't made an appearance since the first page or two.

Just the usualls bickering over a pile of speculation. Way to go IXFE! Your scat stirring skills are mighty impressive :lol:

Sorry guys... honestly wasn't trying to stir the pot. Maybe I haven't posted since page 2 or whatever... honestly why would I unless I have something meaningful to add? However, I have enjoyed following most of your banter as there are nuggets of wisdom sprinkled throughout. Honestly when I posted I was hoping for two things 1) feedback on which of the two boats mentioned (F21 & Z1) had better surf potential, and 2) what Malibu options you'd recommend given his budget.

In case you're wondering, this is not a joke. I do in fact have a neighbor/friend who's been sitting on the boating fence for years. He is even more serious about a boat this year than ever before. He's no expert surfer, but does prefer it to other water sports. His budget is pretty firm at $50k, and he is reading this thread too. :)

We spoke again last night at the local little league game (our boys' teams scrimmaged each other). Here's where he's at... He likes the idea of the Supreme, but doubts he can get one locally for $50k (boat show pricing was in the $60's). There are no leftovers here that I know of, and the idea of shipping a boat sight unseen from across the country is daunting for me, let alone a first time buyer. I guess you could say he's "old fashioned" in that he'd like to see a boat and put his hands on it before he decides to buy. The two boats I listed in the OP are locally available and within his budget. The idea of a 247 is also a little much for him, but he's thinking a 23 LSV of the same vintage might be a good compromise.

As many of you have pointed out, the dealer aspect is huge. I counseled him to go down and talk to local dealers face-to-face. Tell them your budget and your bias to surfing and see what they recommend. In essence, throw the problem in their court and see what solutions they come back with. He'd like to establish a relationship with a local dealer as he would like them to install the integrated ballast bags right off the bat and service the boat down the road as well.

In the mean time, this thread has been fun to read and will likely serve a purpose for others down the road. $50k is a lot for a first time boat buyer (or anybody really). And as Snoopdoggy pointed out surfing is the wave of the future. So it's not hard to imagine many people wondering "What's the best surf boat I can get for $50K?"

^^^^^ Everyone knows you weren't trying to stir the pot....it's a good debatable title for a thread

I will stick with a 2012 Axis A22 for $50k....it's kind of like a Malibu option

Would have been even longer but Bobby either deleted some posts or had some posts deleted. :lol:

Wouldn't be a normal day on the crew without that happening.

My 2 cents is a 07 LSV friend picked up a low hour one last year in Dallas for like 42K. Great boat all the way around and simple to operate want devalue much over the next few year. Great starter boat. Will have the cats, no mux, easy to add ballast, power wedge, will have money for any extras he wants.

As many of you have pointed out, the dealer aspect is huge. I counseled him to go down and talk to local dealers face-to-face. Tell them your budget and your bias to surfing and see what they recommend. In essence, throw the problem in their court and see what solutions they come back with. He'd like to establish a relationship with a local dealer as he would like them to install the integrated ballast bags right off the bat and service the boat down the road as well.

We have a really nice 06 VLX with 93 hours and we can come in under his budget with extra ballast. Have some other boats that can come close. Bring him down or have him come down. Lunch?

• Like 2

We have a really nice 06 VLX with 93 hours and we can come in under his budget with extra ballast. Have some other boats that can come close. Bring him down or have him come down. Lunch?

I showed him pics of that yellow VLX and told him to go talk to you guys... he also works at same place as me so maybe we'll take you up on some lunchy. Lemme check our schedules.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Dropped my boat off at the dealer for its first service, they have a 2002 25 lsv for 42k. That could be a monster surf machine. Has the 8.1 and just under 500 hours....

To the lake, go we must.

Edited by DarkSide

Dropped my boat off at the dealer for its first service, they have a 2002 25 lsv for 42k. That could be a monster surf machine. Has the 8.1 and just under 500 hours.... To the lake, go we must.

I think those are pretty universally deemed to be "not as good as you think they should be."

(unless you might really need to poop on the water)

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Isn't that the norm?! I have had a couple friends that asked me to help them find boats and they give me a budget to find one only to see them purchase a boat well above their price range. When they start shopping, they start to notice what a little more $ will get you so they up the budget a lot.

• Like 1

Thanks to IXFE for gathering up all this great input. Appreciate everyone's $.02. Yeah, we went outside the "budget" but everyone's happier with this option. Can't wait to get it on the water!

• Like 3

Thanks to IXFE for gathering up all this great input. Appreciate everyone's $.02. Yeah, we went outside the "budget" but everyone's happier with this option. Can't wait to get it on the water!

The VLX is a Surf Ninja!!!

Congrats!

Great Boat, and welcome.

My 2004 VLX surf's just fine for the 35k or so price tag it would have if I sold it. Tell him not to get caught up in the excitement of buying a over priced boat. Every boat has it's plus's and minus's.

My 2004 VLX surf's just fine for the 35k or so price tag it would have if I sold it. Tell him not to get caught up in the excitement of buying a over priced boat. Every boat has it's plus's and minus's.

uhhhh, a little late to the punch. And a new vlx surfs A LOT better than your boat.