Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best surf boat, $50k budget...?

IXFE

PCM engines are quiet, not loud. Clunky throttle? Can you elaborate?

Lets face it, it was incorrect to say PCM engines...it would be correct to say that centurions are quite loud, however.

It would be a shame to spend $50k on a dedicated surf boat with a questionable wakeboard wake (like the Supreme), only to have his sons get more interested in wakeboarding as they spend more time on the water. And while the 247 LSV will for sure make a better surf wave when loaded the 23 is a lot easier to drive/tow/store for a new boat owner who is likely not trying to create a maxed out surf wake just yet.

While I don't disagree with your logic (I agree that "only" surfing would be a drag), I doubt you'd make the same suggestion if the OP were looking for ski boat recommendations. i.e. "don't get a RLXi, get a vtx on the diamond hull instead." The OP is looking for the best "SURF" boat for his neighbor, and those that have been suggested fit that bill. Not all of the suggestions are terrible wakeboard boats either.

correct....the same reason every event is towed by whatever brand....they pay the most to sponsor them!

I'm sure they pay, but there boats also do put out a great surf wave to back it up. Supreme and Centurion are both recognized as some of the best surf boats in the industry.

I'm sure they pay, but there boats also do put out a great surf wave to back it up. Supreme and Centurion are both recognized as some of the best surf boats in the industry.

Those are fighting words on the Tige forum!

Lets face it, it was incorrect to say PCM engines...it would be correct to say that centurions are quite loud, however.

I disagree. The 2012 Enzo (with 5.7 PCM) I rode on was quiet compared to my VLX. Perhaps when they used MerCruiser they were louder?

I'm partially deaf and I think they are loud haha. No comments on the clunky throttle, haven't heard any issues on that. As for the washy goofy side, ours wasn't too bad but I drive when someone rides goofy so I don't notice, but there were no complaints.

I disagree. The 2012 Enzo (with 5.7 PCM) I rode on was quiet compared to my VLX. Perhaps when they used MerCruiser they were louder?

You had some kind of exhaust option then....my lake is literally about 30% centurion and they are quite loud.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

correct....the same reason every event is towed by whatever brand....they pay the most to sponsor them!

Personally if I were searching for only a surf boat, it would not be a Mc, Malibu, MB or a Nautique. Centurion or supreme would be my pick of the pack, which getting back on topic can be had for around $50k ish.

PCM engines are quiet, not loud. Clunky throttle? Can you elaborate?

Well Centurions are loud then. Maybe they don't have enough material covering the engine area...whatever. My VLX is very quiet compared to the Centurion. By clunky I mean...the way it goes in and out of neutral and the way you have to jam it into drive. Coming from a Malibu, it feels very clunky, IMO.

Well Centurions are loud then. Maybe they don't have enough material covering the engine area...whatever. My VLX is very quiet compared to the Centurion. By clunky I mean...the way it goes in and out of neutral and the way you have to jam it into drive. Coming from a Malibu, it feels very clunky, IMO.

Every throttle feels "clunky" compared to your VLX throttle, including the new 23 LSV throttle (and the "G" throttle, which I've also demo'd).

Every throttle feels "clunky" compared to your VLX throttle, including the new 23 LSV throttle (and the "G" throttle, which I've also demo'd).

The throttle was changed on the 23 LSV...I figured it was the same in all Malibus.

Not sure about clunky throttle but they are definitely not on par with malibu throttle. Takes some leverage to engage and then they kick in. I have a problem with my buddy's 230 Enzo and he has troubles with my touchy butter smooth throttle. As for this Enzo's listed by kiwi, those are 21' boats and would be less than ideal for purely a surf boat. A 23' and 24' Enzo would fit the surf boat but not for 50k unless it's quite a bit older. I would have to side with the others who say supreme and centurion for bang for the buck.

They surf decent. Buddy of mine had one few years ago. Not a giant wave, but had lots of drive and push.

Not sure I would choose one over the other options though.

If I am 50K range, I'd go V226 without hesitation. Warranty, great surf wave, and all interior necessities to perform.

I'd even give a T22 a look, but there is not a lot to go off of as it is a new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha. No stiff throttles or loud exhaust. What is your suggestion to the op for the best surf boat for $50K?

Note: Watch out for my SC this season. It will make your ears bleed. (No muffler included!!)

If I am 50K range, I'd go V226 without hesitation. Warranty, great surf wave, and all interior necessities to perform.

I'd even give a T22 a look, but there is not a lot to go off of as it is a new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not gonna find a T22 for 50k.

Seems like the Mojo might be a decent option ? Couple guys around the NW run them and seems to have a decent surf wake and you can also retro the Flow system on them now. You can grab a low hour Mojo for around the 50k mark. Thats a lot of coin for a first boat seems like tons of great options that he would be happy with in the malibu line pre surf gate that you can easily set up to surf very well and also have a great wakeboard wake as well. I would think twice about buying a brand new boat that has a reputation of only doing one thing well. Like mentioned above kids might not be into crawling behind a boat at 10mph like you older folk....

Edited by 2008vtx
  • Like 2

I had a Centurion Enzo 6.3 w/ Sideswipe. It was louder than hell. The first time I started it I had a grin ear-to-ear... The first time I started it with my wife on the boat it took her 2 seconds to say wtf did you buy? It sounded like a Cesna on the water - it was ridiculous. I put in the after-market baffles and that helped a bit... but not much.

The interior was not nearly as nice as any Bu I've seen, the throttle was fine - it wasn't sticky if your cable was maintained - it was competitive for the times. Nothing compares to the electronic throttles, which should be stickier IMHO.

The port side wave was insane - better than my surfgate by a bit, and VERY easy to dial-in. Just fill one 1400 pound enzo sac in the rear, you were good-to-go. the starboard side was terrible. Almost nothing would clean it up, although the last few years with the winged plates apparently have helped a lot.

Time to switch sides - royal pain - and I plumbed dual 1100 gph pumps on the sacs. Overall, we loved the boat and had a great time on it for years and had nothing but killer surfing regular side... would make for a super-fun boat.

But I'm glad I switched to my bu. surfgate is SO much easier to deal with, maybe not tournament quality wave, but close enough.

I have been on a Z3 a few times and thought it was terrible. Needed so much weight and still not great. I'm sure if I was on one that someone had really dialed-in it would be different, but the one I rode, with supposedly big time surfers, was literally un-ridable.