Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best surf boat, $50k budget...?

IXFE

$50k his real budget? Had a lady come in today to look at a $23k Moomba, she bought a $50k Malibu..

I think $50k is his number. Maybe $55k max. including sacs and some gear. Honestly it's his call. I'm just guessing on the upper limit. But I know he's prepared to spend 50 large.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Many of the options listed are thousands of miles from Oregon. I know he's thinking local (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, NoCal).

As for garage space, his is actually smaller than mine (believe it or not but my garage with it's 8' door and 22'4" depth is the biggest in our development). So he has no illusions of parking the boat in the garage. He's likely going to store it off site.

if you can find a 2011+ MB 23 wb, that would be a great one too (so I've heard). I couldn't find a single real one on OIB or boat trader tho.

Totally agree, Shawn. He'd love a 23 TWB. He really likes MB to begin with, but finding good samples that are relatively close has been difficult. That's why he expanded his search and found the Z1. It's super clean and has a full Wetsounds system to boot. Probably a better option than the F21 he's looking at in the same price range. As you mentioned, I wasn't a fan of the F21 for surfing.

08-12 Enzo 230 if you are mainly concerned with the regular side wave, Supreme 226's or 232 for both sides. Massive surf waves on both, very affordable. I had an Enzo before my Malibu - it was an incredible surf machine.

Totally agree, Shawn. He'd love a 23 TWB. He really likes MB to begin with, but finding good samples that are relatively close has been difficult. That's why he expanded his search and found the Z1. It's super clean and has a full Wetsounds system to boot. Probably a better option than the F21 he's looking at in the same price range. As you mentioned, I wasn't a fan of the F21 for surfing.

The Z1 I rode behind at the polar bear put out a very nice wave. They are really small inside, esp compared to the MB (even a 21'er). The cut down (sloping) nose made me a little paranoid about taking a roller, but the owner was an expert and we never took a drop even in some pretty heavy rollers.

Hey guys... after several years sitting on the sideline, by neighbor is serious about getting a boat this season (his first). I've been helping him shop, but I could use some help from the 'BuCrew brain trust. biggrin.gif

He's married with two boys and he's primary drawn to surfing so whatever he gets should have good, long wave potential. His budget is $50k. He's shopping lightly used boats to stay within the budget.

Currently he's looking at a 2011 Tige Z1 and a 2011 MB F21.

What would be on your list for $50k? Any Malibu or Axis options you'd recommend over those two?

So basically he will end up spending $70k, he should have started with a $30k budget! :)

Supreme makes some nice boats for a great value, has he considered looking at the V226? I surfed behind one a couple years ago, Chase Hazen was shredding it.... he loved the wake. For me, I could still only go back and fourth... seems to be my standard with any wake! I think for $50k he could find one. I have no idea what the wakeboard wake is like on the V226, I am sure its more than good enough for the average family. The Supreme interior is very MBish plan jane, functional but not super fancy.

Edited by Fman

Here is a nice Supreme, brand new in his price range....

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013-SUPREME-V226-102152261

another one...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013-SUPREME-V232-102077365

Considering all of the dust on the engine, and we are in a drought this year in Sacramento, I would think these could be purchased for a really great price....

Edited by Fman

another one...

Considering all of the dust on the engine, and we are in a drought this year in Sacramento, I would think these could be purchased for a really great price....

If my local dealer had been willing to make that sort of deal, I might have been driving one of those instead of the boat I have. Assuming that its wakeboard wake was semi-decent. They acted like 59K was a great deal, but I had to set a limit somewhere, and 50K was it.

Would be tough to argue that Supreme is not the best bang for your buck for a surf boat, those boats for $55-56k brand new are a steal imo. It was one of the best surf wakes I have ever been behind, and as I mentioned Pro Surfer Chase Hazen was also digging it.

Edited by Fman

Would be tough to argue that Supreme is not the best bang for your buck for a surf boat, those boats for $55-56k brand new are a steal imo. It was one of the best surf wakes I have ever been behind, and as I mentioned Pro Surfer Chase Hazen was also digging it.

Delivered 3 in the last 2 weeks! The surf wave on both sides is amazing!

https://www.facebook.com/227792007306783/photos/a.228008413951809.56975.227792007306783/625419627544017/?type=1&theater

Edited by skurfer

If my local dealer had been willing to make that sort of deal, I might have been driving one of those instead of the boat I have. Assuming that its wakeboard wake was semi-decent. They acted like 59K was a great deal, but I had to set a limit somewhere, and 50K was it.

I'm pretty sure the v226 wakeboard wake is terrible?

another one...

It's probably a great boat for the price, but it looks so generic. I think I have a problem with the gel coat schemes and logos.

It's probably a great boat for the price, but it looks so generic. I think I have a problem with the gel coat schemes and logos.

This. Was a pretty big contender for me, fit and finish is good but they are just so boring. The tower doesn't even look as good as the illusion x did.

lol, someone needs to buy a boat for the stickers, I guess.

• Like 3