Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best surf boat, $50k budget...?

IXFE

Hey guys... after several years sitting on the sideline, by neighbor is serious about getting a boat this season (his first). I've been helping him shop, but I could use some help from the 'BuCrew brain trust. biggrin.gif

He's married with two boys and he's primary drawn to surfing so whatever he gets should have good, long wave potential. His budget is $50k. He's shopping lightly used boats to stay within the budget.

Currently he's looking at a 2011 Tige Z1 and a 2011 MB F21.

What would be on your list for $50k? Any Malibu or Axis options you'd recommend over those two?

Find a nice 247 under 50k.

Good luck...most are priced above that. There are 4 in the US @ 50k or less listed on Boattrader and OnlyInboards. Two have the awful dual captains chairs (which is why they are priced lower, as most buyers hate that), one has no trailer and my buddy just put a deposit on the other one. :) Now if he up's the budget a few thousand or can negotiate well (and travel), it could be had for that.

247 would be on the top of my list at that budget. A Tigé 24ve would probably be as good/better surf boat, but their storage situation is awful and not up to Malibu build quality standards in those years that would fit his budget.

Hey guys... after several years sitting on the sideline, by neighbor is serious about getting a boat this season (his first). I've been helping him shop, but I could use some help from the 'BuCrew brain trust. biggrin.gif

He's married with two boys and he's primary drawn to surfing so whatever he gets should have good, long wave potential. His budget is $50k. He's shopping lightly used boats to stay within the budget.

What would be on your list for $50k? Any Malibu or Axis options you'd recommend over those two?

I have a 2013 A22 with 26 hours I might be interested in selling. Sound pack 2, wedge, plug n pay

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

That bottom 247 would just need a really good clean all over, redo that perko switch, sacks under the seats and you would be good to go!! Ditch the tribal graphics and go with 09 graphics too.

Sorry my boy hit my phone. 2013 A22 26 hours, plug n play with 750's rear and 950 front, sound pack 2, wedge, bimini, docking and underwater lights. Just like new! I might sell for 50k but that would be the bottom dollar. PM me if interested. I'm in east TN.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

I missed the first one, second has a deposit on it, I don't see them coming down on the 3rd and the 4th if negotiated down will be one hell of a long drive from Oregon (it's local to me). I will admit most of my previous looking for my buddy was for big block boats as he didn't want the Hammerhead.

Z1 can make a really good wave for sure.

F21... I know you said you had trouble getting a wave out of yours.

The thing is that for most boats, to get the most wave potential, you NEED supplemental ballast. So make sure your friend knows he needs a budget for dialing the boat.

Supreme v226, fully sorted for surfing: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bod/4425843866.html

and back to back the F21 and v226 are about as different as two pickle forks can be... F21 is shallow and cab forward (small bow), v226 is DEEEEEP and has a giant bow (small cabin).

Never mind OP. Completely disregard my first post! Nitrous thinks it's a bad idea.

Read:

Now if he up's the budget a few thousand or can negotiate well (and travel), it could be had for that. 247 would be on the top of my list at that budget.

Thanks for playing.

It'll surf good or better than most boats with that setup, but it's too much rear weight without more forward. Makes a short steep wave. Ideally if you don't go the custom sack route do this.

1100 in the locker. 400 tube under the seats. 400 in the lounge seat corner and 400 in the walkway or bow. All stock full and some wedge.

I have a custom built sack that runs from the locker all the way to the observers compartment that is about 1800 ish lbs. 500 lbs of lead and that's it on top of stock. One of the longest waves around.

Edited by Bobby Bright