Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New for 2015

Wakelife69

Probably the VLX. It's normally next in line after the LSV. It's also the oldest model since it's last refresh. I think there was a thread on here about what people thought the changes might be. I assume they will be a lot like the new LSV. New interior, new gel, more freeboard, etc.

VTX is actually the oldest mold in the line up (circa 2007). They did refresh the dash last year, but I don't consider that much of a change.

Most speculation centers on the VLX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

VTX is actually the oldest mold in the line up (circa 2007). They did refresh the dash last year, but I don't consider that much of a change.

Most speculation centers on the VLX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

The 247 LSV is actually the oldest. Same hull since 2006. Other than the Response hulls, of course. Edited by Nitrousbird

Now that I have our boat back in our garage at our home, I was sitting in it last night playing with maliview. If they are going to ditch the analog gauges I feel they really need to update the software interface on Maliview. There was no screen where I could see MPH and RPMs at the same time. In fact, if you are using speed cruise, then there is nothing you can press or do to see your RPMs without disengaging cruise control and switching to RPM cruise control. There are a number of other nitpicks I have with the current maliview interface, that seem foolish and shortsighted--if you don't also have the analog gauges.

Frankly, I'm very surprised they didn't update the software interface when they ditched the analog gauges. The current maliview interface was designed with the assumption there were two analog gauges available to the driver providing a bunch of always-present information. I don't think the analog gauges are 100% necessary (though I like them), but I do think it was shortsighted to ditch them without updating the maliview software to account for their loss. The current maliview interface layout is well suited as a supplement to the analog gauges, but it seems piss poor as the sole primary helm display.

It seems so unbelievable to me that they would eliminate the analog gauges without making a single update to the maliview software interface, that I'm left wondering if they had intended to do that, but weren't able to get it ready in time for the 2014 model year, so they just shipped with the old software... I'm not sure if this makes sense since they made this change on the VTX in 2013 and still didn't update the software for 2014. They must be working on a new maliview and it's just taking longer than they anticipated. I hope!

Edited by Cory
  • Like 2

Cory, I agree with you! It would be nice to have a digital display of the analog gauges on one screen. Nothing a simple flash of software couldn't fix!

Doesn't it seem odd that since the birth of in-board boats, every helm on this planet had two gauges that were larger than all the reset--tachometer and speedometer. The pair are universal and larger than everything else up there. Then Malibu decides, let's go 100% digital and assumes user's no longer want to see a tach and speedo at the same time. Weird!!!

On one screen I want to see the following:

1) speed

2) RPM

3) set speed/rpm for cruise

4) temp

5) oil pressure

6) battery volts

7) depth

8) air temp

9) lake temp

10) boat hours

Provide different screens that put different emphasis on the various items, but make the info available at a glance. Boat hours should not be so difficult to find in the menus. People use it as a regular reminder for when to do routine maintenance. Provide analog and digital representation menus for user preference. All this seems so obvious when you ditch the analog gauges. Something has to be going on behind the scenes to explain these total lapses in simple common sense. There is a development cost to the software, but it doesn't change the manufacturing cost per boat one penny...

Edited by Cory

I agree it's probably time for an update, but unless something has changed the cruise works in any of the MaliView gauge screens.

Yes, but when you have cruise set to a specific speed (and engaged), there is nothing you can do to see your current RPM, without disengaging cruise control. Correspondingly, if you have cruise set to a specific RPM (and engaged), there is nothing you can do to see your current speed without disengaging cruise control.

Am I not correct on this?

Edited by Cory

Maybe a refresh is coming but...people needing to constantly see their hours and look at RPM? I've never seen a need in a late model boat. Different in a 30 year old boat with airguide speedos!

Well, I like to know my RPMs. I like to know when I'm pushing the engine hard, how fast is it revolving? I don't use RPM cruise, but someone must use it since it's there. I can't image that someone using RPM cruise control, is 100% not interested in how fast they are going. As it currently stands, there is NO mechanism and NO combination of button presses that will let you see your current speed when using RPM cruise control.

Total hours on a boat is equivalent to total miles driven on a car. That number is always displayed in all cars (even modern 2014 vehicles). It's useful info and helps remind the driver of their maintenance schedule. Every boat (except 2013/14 VTXs and 2014 23LSVs) that I've ever been it has the hours clearly displayed. Most people like to glance at it say to themselves, "Oh, I put 4 hrs on the boat today or this vacation!" Can you honestly say you don't look at your total hours on a regular basis out of curiosity about how much you are using your boat? I think hours are monitored by most users on a regular basis.

Cory, I'm sure you're correct about RPM if you've looked through the screens. If I'm not mistaken engine hours were added last year on an update, maybe the same will be done for RPM.

You are correct. I'm assuming the 2014 Maliview screen is the same as my 2013 VLX screen. Superficially they looked the same at the boat show, but I haven't spent any real time on the 2014 screens.

Well, I like to know my RPMs. I like to know when I'm pushing the engine hard, how fast is it revolving? I don't use RPM cruise, but someone must use it since it's there. I can't image that someone using RPM cruise control, is 100% not interested in how fast they are going. As it currently stands, there is NO mechanism and NO combination of button presses that will let you see your current speed when using RPM cruise control.

Total hours on a boat is equivalent to total miles driven on a car. That number is always displayed in all cars (even modern 2014 vehicles). It's useful info and helps remind the driver of their maintenance schedule. Every boat (except 2013/14 VTXs and 2014 23LSVs) that I've ever been it has the hours clearly displayed. Most people like to glance at it say to themselves, "Oh, I put 4 hrs on the boat today or this vacation!" Can you honestly say you don't look at your total hours on a regular basis out of curiosity about how much you are using your boat? I think hours are monitored by most users on a regular basis.

You sure? Thought cruise could be engaged and you could be on gauge screen and you could see both?

btw, that number is not always displayed in all cars. In fact that's true in neither one of our cars. One is just a month old. I'm sending it back! It requires me to push buttons to see miles! Either way, different strokes apparently. I have zero desire to look at hours unless I'm suspicious I'm near 50 since my last oil change.

I agree that there is a lot lacking with the Maliview in general. 1 user customizable screen would be awesome. In my 2013 LSV, I have a manual Tachometer Gauge to the right of the Maliview and a Manual Speedometer to the left. It would be a nice ad to have them on the Maliview as well, but either way I can always see them.

As for the Firmware updates, There are tons of features that could be added or changed simply via Firmware updates. But we all know how Malibu Rolls (or Floats)....They like to save up all of the updates and changes for the latest models to add more value and then they like to refuse the option of updating newer featurers to older models....Keeps people buying brand new boats. Makes customers with boats that are only a few years old very sad...

Edited by bunji169

The 247 LSV is actually the oldest. Same hull since 2006. Other than the Response hulls, of course.

Ahhh, yes.. Good catch.

I was thinking the 247 was refreshed in 2011. Adding transom seating did require a new mold for the 247 LSV top deck. I'd consider that a model "refresh" which likely means we won't be seeing any changes there in the future (another manufacturer once told me that molds cost ~ $250k).

Edited by IXFE

Molds cost $250k... Two boats and it's paid for....

As for firmware, I'm sure minor updates here and there to fix bugs are common, but I'm referring to major functionality changes, like adding a customizable screen. When Malibu makes a major change to Maliview, I will almost guarantee they will not allow dealers to update older boats. They will probably tell the dealers that it would require a hardware change. But almost always, it's really just firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bunji169

Don't confuse 250k for a mold with actual profit made by the manufacturer.

250k is the tooling cost ( or the mythical price for conversation sake). The most expensive Malibus near 130k . How exactly would 2 boats pay for that? That would mean that Malibu.... The manufacturer would make 95% profit. Doesn't work that way.

Anywho.... I agree with you though. If anything is updated firmware wise history says Malibu will require you to buy the boat to get the software upgrade.

We will see the T24 this year VLX and ........

• Like 2

I agree that there is a lot lacking with the Maliview in general. 1 user customizable screen would be awesome. In my 2013 LSV, I have a manual Tachometer Gauge to the right of the Maliview and a Manual Speedometer to the left. It would be a nice ad to have them on the Maliview as well, but either way I can always see them.

As for the Firmware updates, There are tons of features that could be added or changed simply via Firmware updates. But we all know how Malibu Rolls (or Floats)....They like to save up all of the updates and changes for the latest models to add more value and then they like to refuse the option of updating newer featurers to older models....Keeps people buying brand new boats. Makes customers with boats that are only a few years old very sad...

The more I use the malivue on my LSV the less I like it. What a PITA to get all the info that was just in front of you before.