Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Protecting the heater core from freeze damage

nemalibu

Anyone try putting a 25 watt, adhesive applied, silicone rubber heat pad to the case of the heater core?

I have been using a 60 watt bulb for this for years but I am think this might be a superior option.

PS. I protect my engine with a Boatsafe bilge heater.

In my case, we go for an early and late season and the boat is on a lift at the lake. Have access to power but it would be a real pain to have to clear the heater core before every cold night.

They are really easy to blow out with an air compressor. Just disconnect both hoses from the motor.

Too much pressure (can blow out heater core not designed for that). But a high volume low pressure pump like a tube pump is perfect, and it may already be on your boat.

You can also make quick disconnects of the heater lines that make it easier to "break" the hose to blow out than removing the lines from the engine.

Too much pressure (can blow out heater core not designed for that). But a high volume low pressure pump like a tube pump is perfect, and it may already be on your boat.

You can also make quick disconnects of the heater lines that make it easier to "break" the hose to blow out than removing the lines from the engine.

Good point. I think a lot of people who thought their heater core was not winterized properly actually blew a leak when they pushed 40 PSI through it during winterization. I have just blown air from my massive lungs through it in the past and done fine. If I used an air compressor, I would be sure to just wrap my hand around the end of the hose, and then stick the compressor in the other end of my fist so that the volume mostly goes through, but the pressure will escape through the 'manual' valve.

I had a heater on my last boat and always set the compressor to 30 PSI to blow it out. Never had any problems at this setting.

In my case, we go for an early and late season and the boat is on a lift at the lake. Have access to power but it would be a real pain to have to clear the heater core before every cold night.

Not if you set it up right. Takes me like 30 seconds to drain it. I installed Prestone radiator flush Ts in the lines down in the bilge, and made sure the core was installed with the lines on the bottom. Now I just remove the caps & the heater drains on it's own.

Something I learned from the guys who took care of the promo boats at HO Sports years ago.

flushts.jpg

BTW, I had the boat out yesterday to change the oil & get it ready to ride. I should have put it on the water but was too lazy. This morning I'm watching the weather to see if I can ride the bike in to work. Today is supposed to be partly sunny & 65, no rain. But then tomorrow night there is a chance of snow. WTF??

Guess I'll be draining things & plugging in the bilge heater again this evening.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Not if you set it up right. Takes me like 30 seconds to drain it. I installed Prestone radiator flush Ts in the lines down in the bilge, and made sure the core was installed with the lines on the bottom. Now I just remove the caps & the heater drains on it's own.

Something I learned from the guys who took care of the promo boats at HO Sports years ago.

flushts.jpg

BTW, I had the boat out yesterday to change the oil & get it ready to ride. I should have put it on the water but was too lazy. This morning I'm watching the weather to see if I can ride the bike in to work. Today is supposed to be partly sunny & 65, no rain. But then tomorrow night there is a chance of snow. WTF??

Guess I'll be draining things & plugging in the bilge heater again this evening.

I am not sure that there is adequate gravity flow to empty out my core if I did that. Or at least I would not trust that there is without giving at least a good hard puff or two on it. Sweet setup for sure if your lines are run with a steady slope.

I am not sure that there is adequate gravity flow to empty out my core if I did that. Or at least I would not trust that there is without giving at least a good hard puff or two on it. Sweet setup for sure if your lines are run with a steady slope.

Just went thru my 6th winter with it on this boat. And like 6 or 7 yrs on the previous boat. And have probably a dozen other friends & neighbors boats with the same setup & never had a problem with it..... not to mention all the promo boats that HO/Hyperlite went thru over the years.

I did find one install where the heater core was installed the with lines on top. I removed the core & flipped it around. He's never had a problem since. Most of our cores are installed just above the floor, underneath the driver's dash. The Ts are under the floor level in the bilge.

There is a how-to in this forum on how to use garden hose quick release fittings (similar to your exhaust). Similar idea & who knows how many guys have used that method successfully.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky