Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23LSV wake question

BigGator

Looking for setup recommendations for wakeboarding behind a stock '06 23LSV - rope length, speed, etc.

I finally got mine past the break-in hours and took her out for our first wakeboarding session and had a bit of a hard time.

We usually ride behind a friend's Supra Launch 224 (similar size - a foot longer, 2" wider) so we started with the same setup - 70', about 22.5mph (full stock ballast and wedge down).. and got NO pop - neither of us could go wake-to-wake!!

We tried speeding it up, shortening the rope... still no love. What's the deal here? What am I doing wrong?

that's what we were thinking, too... my friend said it felt like he was going slower than on his SSV - I have to agree.

Let me see if my handheld GPS does that, or not.

"-)

My son rides at 23mph @ 70'. When we have a small crew (4-5 plus dog), we usually fill all but the bow and wedge full down. No problem getting pop and clearing the wake. He usually has to work at not going to far out int the flats.

This is what I wanted to hear - it definitely seemed to lack 'pop' at 70'..

The other thing is - there were only 2 of us... one driving w/ mirror, one riding... need to try it with a few more people.

I've got an '04. But I believe the hull is the same.

I ride at 21.5MPH at 65' out. All ballasts full, Wedge down. My wake at that speed is almost identical to my friend's '05 pickle fork X-Star. Lots of pop. Wake to wake no problem.

The more I'm thinking about this....

Does anyone get a good rideable wake with nobody but a driver in the boat? I'm thinking the extra 3-5 people may be the difference...

You should be able to get a more than ridable wake with just the driver. With Quad ballast and wedge you should be going wake to wake...no problem. It's got to be the speed IMHO.

Looking for setup recommendations for wakeboarding behind a stock '06 23LSV - rope length, speed, etc.

I finally got mine past the break-in hours and took her out for our first wakeboarding session and had a bit of a hard time.

We usually ride behind a friend's Supra Launch 224 (similar size - a foot longer, 2" wider) so we started with the same setup - 70', about 22.5mph (full stock ballast and wedge down).. and got NO pop - neither of us could go wake-to-wake!!

We tried speeding it up, shortening the rope... still no love. What's the deal here? What am I doing wrong?

We use to ride ours at 22-23 mph. Full ballast, wedge down 65-70ft rope w/ handle. Usually 3-4 people on board, lots of pop. Only rode once with just a driver, and the wake seemed the same as having the 3rd on board.

Like others said, get your handheld GPS out. The speedos are all off from the factory.

I agree that you might want to check the speed. The stock ballast on the LSV does not give near as nice or big of a wake as the stock wake on the VLX. Add 5 or so people and you'll see a big difference in the size of the wake.

That being said, I ride at 70-75 and 23mph. Even with only a driver and stock ballast (qMLS & wedge) there shouldn't be anything you can't do as compared to adding 2K more in ballast. Load the line!!! Rockon.gif

We have a 2004 LSV -same hull. All ballast full, wedge down Son#1 rides 75', 24mph.

Daughter and Son#2 ride 70', 23 mph. I ride 65', 22.5mph. No problems clearing the wake. The kids launch out into the flats if they want to. One variable with just the driver in the boat is that we put 200lbs in the rear compartment passenger side to counteract the torque of the prop and the weight of the driver. This only comes into play on private lakes; otherwise the observer and passengers shift to shape the wake side to side. When we first got our boat, the speedo and the pp were way off of actual GPS speed. Easy to adjust though. Good Luck. BTW- I had the opportunity to drive a brand new x-2 and a a Nautique 210 Super Air on a private lake this past weekend. The Malibu 23 LSV at 2 1/2- 3 feet longer than both of those handles the turns way better. Maybe it's just what you're used to, but it really made me appreciate my Bu.

Well - I finally got out there with a long-time Bu owner (currently an '06 VLX) and a GPS... here's what we found.

1. You were all right - the speedo was about 4mph off compared to GPS... HUGE difference!

2. For riding with just a driver, or maybe even driver w/ 1 passenger - I think it may want a HAIR more weight. He took the first run after the speedo change (70' at 21.5) and the wake was a ton better, but still not perfect. Kicking the power wedge up one notch from full-down did the trick. TONS of pop and not too wide. So the extra downforce of having the wedge in the 'almost full down' position really did it.

So - overall, it's great now... I may see if I can get some of those shot-bags to add 200 or 400lbs that can be moved around.... I think an extra person-or-two worth of weight will make a huge difference.

Thanks for the help!!

"-)

Edited by BigGator
Well - I finally got out there with a long-time Bu owner (currently an '06 VLX) and a GPS... here's what we found.

1. You were all right - the speedo was about 4mph off compared to GPS... HUGE difference!

2. For riding with just a driver, or maybe even driver w/ 1 passenger - I think it may want a HAIR more weight. He took the first run after the speedo change (70' at 21.5) and the wake was a ton better, but still not perfect. Kicking the power wedge up one notch from full-down did the trick. TONS of pop and not too wide. So the extra downforce of having the wedge in the 'almost full down' position really did it.

So - overall, it's great now... I may see if I can get some of those shot-bags to add 200 or 400lbs that can be moved around.... I think an extra person-or-two worth of weight will make a huge difference.

Thanks for the help!!

"-)

Excellent. Just out of curiousity, where do you adjust the speedo now on an 06? Where is it in the menu?

I've got to that today :)

Thanks for the help!!

"-)

Excellent. Just out of curiousity, where do you adjust the speedo now on an 06? Where is it in the menu?

I've got to that today :)

Stew - use the arrows to scroll thru the screens till you get to the one with speed and rpms. Press and hold the "E" button until the speed section is highlighted. Run up to whatever speed you want to set withyour GPS and then use the arrows to calibrate you speedo. When finished press th "E" button again to set.

Have fun!