Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Line driver after ZLD/ 420 EQ ok?

nyryan2001

Guys- looking to see if anyone sees issues with putting an Audio Control Overdrive or Matrix downstream AFTER a ZLD/420 before the amp to ramp up to 5-7v?

Currently have a ZLD... And bet I'd be lucky to see 1-2V being fed into the amps at my top listen job volume. Slight bit of noise on the towers, and I don't want to gain them down anymore.

Would a ZLD ---> Overdrive ----> amp damage anything?

Edited by nyryan2001

I don't see this as a situation or location where a line driver will necessarily be a big help with the surface noise. But a simple test beforehand should be an indication.

If you disconnect the amplifier inputs, short the inputs, leave the input gain as is, and the noise does not change until you lower the amplifier input gain then you may get an improvement with the introduction of a line driver. If the noise goes down considerably with the test and without a change in the amplifier input gain, then that would indicate that the noise source is upstream. In that case, raising the gain and then lowering the gain will raise the noise floor and lower the noise floor 1 to 1 plus any additional noise that the line driver produces.

If the noise source proves to be upstream and you tried the same test at the input of the EQ and the noise was greatly diminished by lowering the EQ input gain, then this location would seem to be the best noise reduction solution.

I find it hard to believe your zld is only giving you 1-2 volts. It has a built in line driver. Look on the top of it and you will see the adjustment for one of the inputs. If that dosent work I'd put a call into the Exile boys.

I just went through this with a WetSounds EQ and it put out the 5 volts as advertised after I adjusted the settings internally in the EQ.

Using a SMD-DD1 I determined that the RFX 3000 clipped at 38/40 so I used 35 as the maximum H/U volume. Hooked up by DD1 to the EQ and started turning with a 1khz 0db test signal. I bumped the internal gains up on the 420 to about 90% which was right about where it distortion signal indicated it was distorting. Put my DMM on a test lead and I was at 4.97 volts.

In the equation...it is key to get the max unclipped signal out of the headunit and I think the "75% rule" does not cut it for these weaker marine headunits. Mine clipped at 95% and after looking at H/U voltage delta b/t 75% and 95% - there is certainly a lot to be gained or lost!

I would consider a line driver b/t the source and the ZLD.

Edited by Murphy8166
  • Like 2

Ryan - The ZLD should be giving you 5V output. The New ZLD that launches next month all provide up 9V. If your reading 1-2V then somethings wrong. Separate to this - if your getting noise in the tower zone, make very sure that your power / ground / remote from the preamp EQ is not tied into the helm area as this is an instant recipe for injecting noise to a system. Give us a call at the office and tech support can walk you thru your issue. -Brian

Ryan - Yes, I was able to acheive it and have the same issue you had when taking a left/right signal and splitting it into a left/right - left/right signal.

The gain setting on that particluar amp was significantly higher than the other two.

I would imagine that you can acheive what you are wanting to do with the Exile EQ.