Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Deka, Trojan, Optima

Local dealer has these three brands to pick from. Which one and why experiences and opinions please. Have a two battery set up and I use both for start and float around modes. Currently has Optimas, Blue, a 24 & 27 size, need to replace the 24, its currently 6yrs old and does not hold a charge very long anymore.

I ran 2 Optimas in last boat and will probably replace these Dekas I have now with Optimas next time. Smaller package fits under observers seat and gets them out from good storage area. They(Optimas) lasted 5 years last time before i replaced them.

Don't replace just one . You need to them both at the same time, especially the way you are using them.

They are all decent batteries . Trojans are probably the most expensive option. It's debatable if the price actually gets you more.

I have not had great luck with any optima I have owned, but I do have one as a third back up as it fits under the seats.

I would probably get two DeKa's if I had to choose from those.

I've used Deka AGM before and would use then again. Current boat has Interstate SRM29 so I just added a 3rd Interstate. Optima are good for custom installs with limited space but for overall amp hours...no way I'd buy them.

Don't have an Optima in the boat, but have had them in multiple Jeeps for a long time. Different requirements in a daily driver, but my use is in a rock crawler doing a significant amount of winching which is much harder drain than anything a 'bu will do. On top of that, I wire two Optimas in series with 0 ga. cables as an ad-hoc stick welder when I need to get a broken Jeep off the trail. After hard-core abuse, had one last 8 years, one last 7 years, and the the current one has been in 3 different vehicles over 8 years.

So.... I don't have experience with others, but will keep buying Optimas based on this past experience.

I have had several optima batteries and have had great luck with them. I first bought one on the recommendation from our fishing vessels chief engineer. His experience was as follows. .. He was the Chief/Captain on a 110' catcher boat on the coast of Washington. They had problems with a voltage regulator on a generator and it kept killing the batteries. The new voltage regulator was on order but without it the batteries wouldn't last more than a day or 2 and they were smoked. He picked up a couple Optimas the next time they came in. He told me that the Optimas worked so well that he almost forgot about the regulator. He has used nothing but them since. I currently work on a 300' factory trawler in the Bering Sea of Alaska and Optima batteries are all we use and the electrician takes care of them there. I think that is safe to say they are pretty reliable. I'm sure as with anything the is always some bad ones and a bad experience associated with it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

None of these examples represent the types of duty cycles most wake/ski boats see.

As Skurfer said above. They rarely get properly maintained ......with the correct charger and don't like the deep discharges and lack of a proper charge. The wet cell marine deep cycles tend to outlive them under these circumstances.

Lots of boat owners seem to crank up the tunes and let them get deeply discharged and then run back to the dock/ lift and let it sit till next use.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Lots of boat owners seem to crank up the tunes and let them get deeply discharged and then run back to the dock/ lift and let it sit till next use.

+ over the winter, then they get swollen and are toast.. "but I just got it last year, supposed to be the best.' "Did you keep them charged over the winter?" 'No'.

Honestly I have never had a need to buy anything but a good old fashioned lead acid battery. Interstates have a great reputation for a reason and I'll buy one of those when the lead acid battery currently in my boat since 2008 decides to quit.

• Like 2

None of these examples represent the types of duty cycles most wake/ski boats see.

As Skurfer said above. They rarely get properly maintained ......with the correct charger and don't like the deep discharges and lack of a proper charge. The wet cell marine deep cycles tend to outlive them under these circumstances.

I think my Jeep experience is fairly well representative of the use you're describing. In fact, one of the batteries I describe was a blue-top(marine) to handle the deep cycle draining of winching/wheeling. I shouldn't be proud of not-maintaining something, but a rockcrawling jeep is ridden hard(winching, etc...), put away dirty, and expected to do the same next time. It sits all winter with no charge, sees extreme temps from GM small block headers in engine bay, and never gets a full charge like a daily driver.

Definitely not an exact replica of what a 'bu might be, but I'll stick with Optimas based on a good product. That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the mentioned brands.

I have not had any luck with Optima as a cranking battery. Went back to lead acid and have been very pleased.

What is proper maintenance on an Optima? Do you need to charge them differently than off the engine's charging system?

Edited by dlb

Two of the last three batteries we've replaced in the boat were not because the battery was dead... First one was dropped after only having it a year :cry: The next one lasted probably around 8 years. And the last one, don't ask me how this happened, but somehow the nut got cross threaded and stuck on on the positive lead. All the threads above it were fine so it's not like it happened when I put it on. After struggling to remove it I basically ruined the connector so the batter was useless... again after having it only a year :mad:.

Basically I'm agreeing under normal conditions/maintenance a lead acid should last. That said I've been thinking I'd try the AGM that Nitrous is running the next time I need to replace it because the price is right.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46550-best-deep-cycle-battery/?p=655004

The only Optima I ever owned was a Blue top & it died in less than 2 yrs. A cold winter killed it good.

The only Deka I ever owned is in my bike. AGM because it may tip over & no vent. Plus it is stored for long winters. So far it's 2 yrs old & still goin strong.

All that said, I have 2 DieHards in my boat... a starter & a deep cycle, both lead acid. Going on their 5th year I think. Plus an on board charger that gets plugged in anytime the boat is stored for more than a day or two. I think the charger is the key to getting long life from them. Although it would be nice to set them up underneath the spotter's seat & clear out the area in front for other things.

I have had quite a few different brands all did fairly well but the key was an on board battery charger, Plunged it in year round and after every time out, I have a pretty high demand for battery's so I chose 2 Interstate 6v Golf cart, But even with these the key is maintaining the system and a proper charger, I use the Pro Mariner 12v 20 amp this will make all the difference in the world no matter what brand you choose! http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/pro-sport-20-.html

• Like 1