Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast kicks arse!

Souperfly

Well my 96 DIDNT have ballast, only the wedge... So after a couple bills at the local ski shop, problem solved. I have to say that the launch pad twins kick butt! Amazing amount of difference having 880lbs of ballast and the wedge down on the boat! Yahoo.gif

So haven't quite found the sweet spot yet and i'm still teathered to the boat... Gotta new board coming though, I'm blaming it on the fact that that coex is too small for me!

100_0291.jpg

Of course my girl got up and threw the rope back in about her 5th time up.. Mad.gif

100_0313.jpg

It was a blast though! About 90 degrees outside and the water temp was about 70... Going for my 160 degree rule! :lol:

Ballast is like car engines. There is no replacement for displacement. Looke like your wake is shaping up nice. I can't really tell from the pictures but you may want to keep more weight towards the front of the board while surfing.

Ballast is like car engines. There is no replacement for displacement. Looke like your wake is shaping up nice. I can't really tell from the pictures but you may want to keep more weight towards the front of the board while surfing.

Thanks, I need all the advice I can get, considering the only person I've seen surfing is my girl, and Saturday was her first day out... So there is no experience on the boat. It seems like the nose sinks if I get any closer. The board is a hyperlite coex 4ft.4", and I have a liquid force 5fter coming in. I'll post up some moer pics later.

Any and all advice/tips and hints are welcome!

That's a very small board for that wake. You'll really do better on the LF that you have coming - I assume that it's the Skimskate? You'd do even better on a 5'6". Smaller waves do better with bigger boards.

That's a very small board for that wake. You'll really do better on the LF that you have coming - I assume that it's the Skimskate? You'd do even better on a 5'6". Smaller waves do better with bigger boards.

wakegirl is right on the money. The new longer board should really help you on that wake. when surfing I like to think of the front foot as the gas and the rear foot as the brake. The more weight you get toward the nose of the board the faster the board will be but you do have to be careful not to bury the nose. If you look careully it is not usually the center of the nose that catches but a bit off to the side (I your case it would be the heelside of the board right near the front. Keeping weight on your toes can help keep the board from catching and keeping weight forward can get the board sliding on the water easier.