Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Beginner Surf Board for Newbies

newtoBU

So last year I upgraded from my 1986 Supra Comp TS6m to a 2013 Malibu VTX with SurfGate. I thought it would be best to get an intermediate board so I purchased the Inland Sufer Black Pearl (Skim) Not knowing any better. After spending a summer using it it was very difficult for newbies and guests to ride on. I then purchased a larger board (from O'Brien) from West Marine on an impulse not a great board either.

I am looking for a very stable easy board to ride for all the newbies and guests that I bring out to ride. Anyone have any thoughts on what is the easiest board to learn on and ride in one day? Would like to keep the cost to a reasonable amount and would consider used boards as well.

any recommendations?

I use a hyperlite broadcast for my teaching board. I also use it for when me any my daughter are riding together. I'm 6'2" and 230 along with my daughter of 60lbs. no issues with her riding my shoulders on that board and carving up and down the wake.

I use a hyperlite broadcast for my teaching board. I also use it for when me any my daughter are riding together. I'm 6'2" and 230 along with my daughter of 60lbs. no issues with her riding my shoulders on that board and carving up and down the wake.

I have the same. Extremely stable board, tracks very well also. We have the 5'6 Edited by TNWILSON

So last year I upgraded from my 1986 Supra Comp TS6m to a 2013 Malibu VTX with SurfGate. I thought it would be best to get an intermediate board so I purchased the Inland Sufer Black Pearl (Skim) Not knowing any better. After spending a summer using it it was very difficult for newbies and guests to ride on. I then purchased a larger board (from O'Brien) from West Marine on an impulse not a great board either.

I am looking for a very stable easy board to ride for all the newbies and guests that I bring out to ride. Anyone have any thoughts on what is the easiest board to learn on and ride in one day? Would like to keep the cost to a reasonable amount and would consider used boards as well.

any recommendations?

I thought the O'Brien Alias was an easy board to ride.. I guess there are easier. Anyway the alias is my boat board.

Thanks for the Ideas. I do have the Inland surfer Black Pearl for people to use when they get better. I am just looking for that "anyone can do it board".

Thanks for the Ideas. I do have the Inland surfer Black Pearl for people to use when they get better. I am just looking for that "anyone can do it board".

Yea...all boards will give you just that. I use the hyperlite broadcast 5'6 for everyone to learn on.

I have the Liquid Force Fish Classic 5'6". Im 200lbs 5'8". First season surfing last year. Got up the first time. Intermediate wakeboarder, advanced snowboarder... to give you some reference on ability. My brother who doesnt do any board sports, cant get up on a wakeboard to save his life, got up on this surfer first time. My other brother and brother in laws had no prob either, no other board sports for them as well, first timers and a pretty wide range of weights from 140 lbs to 200 lbs had no prob riding it. Since its my first I cant really compare, seemed pretty easy to ride for me. Couple rides and I already wanted something lighter and more responsive/maneuverable. Ide say its a good beginner board. :surfing:

Edit: Cost is also very reasonable. You can find the Classic for $220.

Edited by Zeke83

I just bought a hyperlite broadcast (5'4") to replace my CWB tsunami. It was too small for me and my SSLXI wake with 2 fat sacs (ski locker and trunk equating to ~800 lbs), wedge down. I'm 195 lbs and hoping I can drop the rope with the larger board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have experience with the Ronix Marsh Mellow? I was told it is a good board for beginners and I like the fact it is soft enough it won't damage the boat if someone lets it bang into it.

I just bought a hyperlite broadcast (5'4") to replace my CWB tsunami. It was too small for me and my SSLXI wake with 2 fat sacs (ski locker and trunk equating to ~800 lbs), wedge down. I'm 195 lbs and hoping I can drop the rope with the larger board.

I think you need more weight. I run with 370lb in the ski locker and 750lb in the rear corner, wedge down, crew of about 450lbs. My hull is narrower and easier to sink lower into the water. So I'm guessing you need at least a 750 in the rear, maybe that plus a couple of brick sacs.

I think you need more weight. I run with 370lb in the ski locker and 750lb in the rear corner, wedge down, crew of about 450lbs. My hull is narrower and easier to sink lower into the water. So I'm guessing you need at least a 750 in the rear, maybe that plus a couple of brick sacs.

You're right that I need more weight, we didn't surf all that often so I didn't want to spend the money on more bags, so I wanted to try this first and see where it got me. Finding used bags is hard, too.

yes watch ebay frequently to find used bags. or just pick up a free motion set on ebay. they are made by sumo... just a cheaper outer material. i havent had any issues with mine.