Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throwable Flotation Cushion

shicks6

Anyone know of a Type IV Throwable Flotation Cushion that is contoured to fit our Malibu drivers seat? After reading all the posts about seat risers it got me to thinking about how nice it would be to have a Malibu branded throwable seat cushion. It would be perfect to adjust the cruising height of my drivers seat and meeting the need for Type IV throwable flotation.

I had to modify mine. it's basically a nylon bag filled with sheets of foam. I opened a seam on one side, cut the foam to the shape I needed it to be, sewed the seam to fit the new shape. may work?

there's probably a USCG approved shape... either that or I just gave away the idea that would've funded my retirement!

If not an approved shape, at least an approval process to get the USCG seal on it.

Edit - appears to require testing by a USCG certified independent lab and then submission of forms to the USCG for the cert.

Probably not cost effective for making a few

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/ringlb.asp#160.049

PLASTIC FOAM BUOYANT CUSHION

APPROVAL CATEGORY: 160.049

APPROVAL GUIDANCE & INFORMATION: See 46 CFR 160.049. The Coast Guard does not test materials or systems for approval but rather specifies the required test methods and minimum performance criteria for approval. Product testing must be performed by a Coast Guard Accepted Independent Laboratory.

SUBMITTAL PACKAGE: Please submit the follow information in the Submittal Package:

• A cover letter requesting Coast Guard Type Approval of the equipment.
  • Required information and the test report from the Accepted Independent Laboratory as per 46 CFR 160.049.
  • Evidence that an acceptable follow-up factory inspection program with the Accepted Independent Laboratory is in place.

Please send the Submittal Package and other related information to the following address:

Commandant (CG-ENG-4)

U.S. Coast Guard Stop 7509

2703 Martin Luther King Ave Jr SE

Washington, DC 20593-7509

Once the equipment has been approved by this office, it will receive Coast Guard Type Approval and a Certificate of Approval (COA). The COA will be issued for 5 years and will remain valid during that time period if the product meets the testing of the Quality Control Program.

Edited by oldjeep

there's probably a USCG approved shape... either that or I just gave away the idea that would've funded my retirement!

Just sent off the patent application. Thanks buddy! :whistle:

• Like 2

I wondered the same thing long ago. Seems like such an obvious thing to have, and would work in a variety of different boats.

Another thing I've wondered is if there is a throwable rope that would be smaller to store, work better & still USCG approved.

212914F-f.jpg

I see there is something called a "Rescue Stick" that is small & self inflates. Pretty spendy though.

MUSMRD100-2.jpg

I wondered the same thing long ago. Seems like such an obvious thing to have, and would work in a variety of different boats.

Another thing I've wondered is if there is a throwable rope that would be smaller to store, work better & still USCG approved.

212914F-f.jpg

I see there is something called a "Rescue Stick" that is small & self inflates. Pretty spendy though.

MUSMRD100-2.jpg

I wonder if that stick sinks if you don't pull the red thingy and then throw it in.

I found some white square ones with "Yamaha" on them but nothing like what I am looking for. Maybe Bakes should brand their own throwable vinyl seat cushions. I know they would sell.

• Like 1

I guess what I meant to imply was that I can't find any contoured throwable Type IV seat cushions that fit our boats outside of the regular square ones that say "Yamaha", "Malibu", etc. :blush: It would be nice it Malibu shaped theirs to fit our seats. Kalamazoo mentioned modifying his to fit his seat. Might be worth a try to mod one of the Malibu square ones.

I guess what I meant to imply was that I can't find any contoured throwable Type IV seat cushions that fit our boats outside of the regular square ones that say "Yamaha", "Malibu", etc. :blush: It would be nice it Malibu shaped theirs to fit our seats. Kalamazoo mentioned modifying his to fit his seat. Might be worth a try to mod one of the Malibu square ones.

If you modify it, you run the risk of not passing a water inspection. I'd make sure you've got a spare under a seat somewhere.

So how about having a cushion made that is the right shape to fit in your seat, upholstered nice to match the rest of your interior, but has a "pocket" in the middle where any basic throwable can slide into place? Maybe have a Velcro flap to keep it in place.

Seems doable ;)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/part-160/subpart-160.049

46 CFR 160.049-2 - Types and sizes.

§ 160.049-2 Types and sizes.

(a) Type. Buoyant cushions shall be of the box type, i.e., have top, bottom, and gusset. Pillow type cushions without a gusset are not acceptable.
(b) Sizes. Buoyant cushions shall have not less than 225 square inches of top surface area, shall contain not less than 630 cubic inches of buoyant material, shall not be less than 2 inches thick, and shall have width no less than 12 inches and length no less than 15 inches, respectively.
[CGFR 65-37, 30 FR 11586, Sept. 10, 1965, as amended by USCG-1998-4442, 63 FR 52191, Sept. 30, 1998]