Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats the best Surf setup for a 23LSV?

abm79

I recently purchased a 01 23LSV and wanted to know what is the best ballast setup to surf with. It has the wedge and is plumbed for ballast in ski locker. It has MLS but i do not know if this supposed to be a hard tank or a sac somewhere. I am new to surfing and on a small budget. Thanks for any help.

Should have hard tanks I think (there are other experts on this). If it has the above floor hard tanks I would get the wakemakers tank buster kit and put some bags in the rear compartments. At the smallest 750's but in an 23 LSV you could go with 1100's. I would also look at getting some bow weight and some more bags.

Check craigslist or ebay might find some deals but this is not a cheap sport and on a small budget there aren't a lot of options other than sand bags and I am not a big fan of solid ballast.

Solid Ballast is hard on a trailer and is not neutrally buoyant so use at your own risk.

I have the same boat. I may be wrong but I don't think the hard tanks were an option until the '02. I am still trying to find the best setup but this is what works the best for me so far:

Wedge down

Center factory MLS ballast full

1100 bag in the back filled as much as possible

Second 1100 bag on the port side (regular surfing) under the side seat. You can't fill it that much due to the space constraints unless you have a bag made to go under the seats.

Tell a couple of passengers to sit in the back corner seat of the side you are surfing and put someone in the bow. I don't have any ballast in the bow but plan on adding it soon. Having only two fat sacs it seemed like having one on the side seat was a lot more important for getting a push than the bow weight. The bow ballast should help lengthen the surf wave; without much bow weight you'll have a small sweet spot to surf in before the wave starts to wash out.