Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

May be moving to White Lake, MI

UofM_MXZ

Hey all, I may be moving to White Lake Michigan pretty soon here. I am kind of wondering what the best lakes to live on are and also what the housing prices on those lakes are? I am from the area, but I haven't lived there in 12 years or so. I also have no idea what lakes are what except for I am somewhat familiar with Lake Fenton. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

I am extremely partial, but IMO White Lake is the best! It is very large, has great shorelines that are long to find calm water, but lots of coves and peninsulas to idle around. Slalom course is tucked away so you don't have to worry about us ;). People are great that live on the lake. Has one of the only bars that is on the water in Oakland County, three islands, one sunken island. Freezes great for the winter too.

Duck Lake is nice, but is very shallow and basically not surfable and you would probably have issues wakeboarding loaded up too.

Oxbow lake is kinda small and, IMO, boring. Can be very tricky with shallow and stumpy areas. No sand bar or anything to tie up at. Doesn't freeze that good for the winter.

These are really the only lakes that I have personal experience with.

There are a lot of good lakes around here. Of the public ones my favorites are

Orchard lake.. Third largest lake in the county and empty except if there is a fishing tournament. Only massive houses on it with people who rarely boat so it's rarely busy.

Cass lake is fun for partying and people watching. Otherwise it's a zoo. It is the largest.

I live on sylvan lake and it's great but it's private so stay away :)

I have heard White Lake has a rouge skier and it could be dangerous.

I am partial to Elizabeth Lake (prviate), Upper Straights (private), Orchard lake (in the mornings only otherwise crazy, Public)

I have never been invited on White Lake, so I can't speak to the awesomeness of that one.

ahopkins22LSV

I am partial to Elizabeth Lake (prviate), Upper Straights (private), Orchard lake (in the mornings only otherwise crazy, Public)

I have never been invited on White Lake, so I can't speak to the awesomeness of that one.

It is public, you don't need one ;)

Anyone know a good realtor in the area?

I will PM you.

Yes it will be for work. I know the office is in white lake township....so the commute would be fairly easy I would think. We are really wanting to live right on the water if possible with a lift for the MXZ.

Rmack, consider this an invite.

I'm gonna second Andrew's comments about white lake. I live on it too. My wife and I looked for houses on many lakes over a year and a half. Literally walked thru 109 houses on what seemed like millions of local lakes. White lake and Elizabeth lake were the 2 top candidates.

I haven't looked at the used market in a couple years but there's a good range of expensive and less expensive homes. This mixture of value means there is a good mix of different people with different backgrounds-always makes the people watching at the white lake inn spectacular.

The lake has something for everyone.

now when you say expensive to less expensive what range are we talking>? When I am looking online it is hard to tell what homes are right on White Lake. Our budget is from 200-400K. We would like to be on the less expensive side as that is one of our reasons for moving is cost of living.

Off topic on a few things.

K-Zoo, Love the Tomcat. I will take a trip to K-Zoo anytime to ride that thing.

Addicted, I will be your new best friend.

UofM, I have room for 2 new best friends

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
Off topic on a few things.

K-Zoo, Love the Tomcat. I will take a trip to K-Zoo anytime to ride that thing.

Addicted, I will be your new best friend.

UofM, I have room for 2 new best friends

Apparently he doesn't want to be a friend with skier :crazy:

And UofM, that price range should get you into a pretty nice house on wl. 200k house will need some work, 400k should be closer to move in ready.

I mean we could spend more but that kind of defeats the purpose. We moved from Hawaii and we had a 750k house there. Then downsized in va to a 500k house and we would like to downsize again house size and house price. Our current place is 4k s&w ft and it is just too big for what we really need and use. There are only 3 of us.

ahopkins22LSV

I mean we could spend more but that kind of defeats the purpose. We moved from Hawaii and we had a 750k house there. Then downsized in va to a 500k house and we would like to downsize again house size and house price. Our current place is 4k s&w ft and it is just too big for what we really need and use. There are only 3 of us.

You should be able to find a very nice house around 1500-2k sqft, if not bigger, although it may take some time!

IMO, a house on the water doesn't need to be as big as a house you would live in off the water. As long as it good living space and nice exterior space I would be good to go! I don't need an amazing entertaining space in the interior if you have the lake :)

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
now when you say expensive to less expensive what range are we talking>? When I am looking online it is hard to tell what homes are right on White Lake. Our budget is from 200-400K. We would like to be on the less expensive side as that is one of our reasons for moving is cost of living.

There were some for over a million but I think at 300 and definitely 400 you can find some nice places moderately sized. And, yeah, at 200 you could probably expect a little work. Here you go...unique place. This area of the lake usually has relatively calm water too.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/70855170_zpid

Or this is cheaper. It is technically lakefront but you do have to cross a dirt road to get to the water..

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24367312_zpid

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

There were some for over a million but I think at 300 and definitely 400 you can find some nice places moderately sized. And, yeah, at 200 you could probably expect a little work. Here you go...unique place. This area of the lake usually has relatively calm water too.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/70855170_zpid - This is across the street from me and is a nice part of the lake

Or this is cheaper. It is technically lakefront but you do have to cross a dirt road to get to the water..

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24367312_zpid - This is like a ten minute walk for me and right at the slalom course so you would have to watch out for the rouge skier :biggrin:

It seems the lakefront market has gone up exponentially since the crash and IMO I would imagine it is going to peak at some point when people are buying as much and the non-lake front will catch up a bit and that is when I sell and move - I hope :)

There are tons of great properties on the lake and they seem to pop up much more as summer starts. Let us know if you check something out for you!

Those both look promising. I may end up not doing lakefront just depending. If it is a lot better deal to do that then I don't mind a 10-20 minute drive to the lake.

I spent a fair amount of time on Long lake, Union lake and Pontiac lake before moving to Dixie lake. All of them have their ups and downs IMO. Long lake was about the nicest public lake, with Union being large and clean, but tough to get smooth water. Pontiac lake is just a zoo.... that lake is horrible for shallow spots and stumps. it is a good party lake though, and the only place in oakland county that you can dock up and order chinese! :rofl: I live on Dixie now and honestly it is my favorite. i was skeptical at first because its size, but its ALWAYS glass and just big enough to tucker you out pretty quickly. :rockon:

I live on Lake Sherwood (private). It's very small and can get crazy in the weekend afternoons. Not a good surfing lake, as it's very shallow. I'm a skier and try to finish by 8:30AM, so don't typically have any problems. We were attracted to this lake because it was a planned community with a "neighborhood" feel. A lot of the local lakes still have a summer cottage feel, that my wife didn't care for. It seems like $400k is the minimum lately for lake frontage, with off-lake house and an association owned boat dock starting around $200k.

• Like 1