Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VW Taureg for towing ?

Steve B.

Looking at a 2006 Taureg with the V8. Anyone have experience or advice if it would make a fair tow vehicle for relatively short pulls?

Found one with low miles, gorgeous shape for cheap.

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

Steve,

It will tow your Sunsetter just fine. I had a 2012 and it had no problem towing my VLX. I believe that the 2006 has air suspension and a true transfer case, so it should tow even better than the new ones.

Will do great. Reliability is another question

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This also is a concern. The carfax show's almost no issues in 100,000. I'll take 'er for a test drive and go from there I guess. Thanks guys !

Steve B.

• Like 1

If you're concerned about maintenance I would spend some time reading up on the 2004 V8 Touareg on the various message boards before you buy - go into any vehicle purchase with your eyes open. It's German, so even the good ones still cost $$$ when they do break.

Towing won't be a problem.

• Like 2

Get on the Touareg forum and ask a bunch of questions about any potential issues with that model. If you are mentally prepared and better educated about the car the whole experience will go better. The engine and drive system are pretty reliable, but as others have stated, there is the potential for electrical issues.

I'd go for it. The price seems right, and it should tow just fine. Now if it's going to be your daily driver, I'd probably look into some type of after market warranty. As an owner of german cars, and growing up in a VW family, they do have some minor electrical issues. But as far as just flat out driving, it'll be fine. Everyone will have their own opinion, but I do think that the previous comments are true; just get on some forums and start asking some questions about common issues. Remember, all cars have issues at one point or another.

Probably all run through the CAN Bus. Likely a single fix would have corrected all of it.

Yeah not sure what It was, didn't pursue it. It was a trade in at the VW dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Our Touareg was a great vehicle. Towed great. Not so good on gas when towing but what vehicle is. Maintenance cost is the reason we moved away from it. Loved it though!!

I literally drive 3000 miles a year. Thanks for bearing with me.

Change of topic:

I only use a vehicle to tow the boat to the lake in early june, then pull the boat out in late october. I'd really like to only have one vehicle.

Should I just rent a pick up twice a year, and drive a gas affordable sedan ? Rather than buy a SUV that can tow ?

This has been nagging at me for over 4 years,

Steve B.

edit: thanks again

Edited by Steve B.

Change of topic:

I only use a vehicle to tow the boat to the lake in early june, then pull the boat out in late october. I'd really like to only have one vehicle.

Should I just rent a pick up twice a year, and drive a gas affordable sedan ? Rather than buy a SUV that can tow ?

I personally don't see how people own a home without owning a truck. I use my truck bed all the time. I had beater SUV's before having a truck and they sufficed for many situations, though hauling a motor in the back of one isn't all that fun.

I solved that problem by purchasing a small trailer I can tow behind the SUV for towing household crap around. Works great, and SUVs make much nicer daily drivers than trucks if you live in a city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Change of topic:

Steve B.

edit: thanks again

At 3000 miles per year, at $4.00 per gallon, at 10 MPG, you are looking at $1200 in fuel. Going to 20 MPG would save $600 in fuel. From there, going to 40MPG would only yield an additional $300 in savings. It seems to me at 3000 miles per year that you ought to find something you enjoy driving and not worry so much about fuel savings, especially if you can find something you like driving that gets close to 20 MPG.

• Like 2

The electrical issues everyone keeps referring to was a result of the 04 US launch Touaregs. The 04s had major electrical issues. The 05 and later years were revised to eliminate the problem. That being said there are always lemons with any make, model, or year.

I have an 08 V10. It tows my 07 VLX great. I test drove a V8 but never towed with it. So I can't comment on the power. But if the one your looking at has the air suspension then ride and stopping will be absolutely no problem.

The other plus with the air suspension is you will never have to turn the jack handle again. Unless you want to.

If you have any questions check out the Club Touareg forum. Or I can try and answer any questions.