Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exile install and going wireless.

wakebrdr94

Exile is a no brainer and Brian from Exile is awesome to work with. The Chadwick install is what what made me think, "why not". I never use CDs, satellite, or transom remotes on the boat, music is always via my iPod or iPhone. Ordered the boat with zero stereo.

So absent the head unit, running everything through the ZLD. We have a Pair of SXT9s on the tower powered with the Exile XM30.2, the Exile Xi 12 DVC as the sub, powering it off the Javelin. I will eventually have 8 of the SX65, hopefully should be here next week. The Inputs to the ZLD will be wifi and Bluetooth, so for now, there is not a wired option, but I can always add that in if I find it needed. Just wanted to share a few pics so far. Sub in a sealed boxed, and came out nice, didn't lose any leg room.

I'll post more when the system is complete. The lights are wired in the sub, just have to get my RBGs installed.

5F9398D1-D0EF-4C2D-A4CD-8EA2028BC299_zps

9BDC55EC-B5F8-4835-B1B7-F5E5AA9B8A30_zps

The button on the plate is a power button to turn the system on. This way I do not need all the screens on as well. But it is connected so I have to have the perko turned to on.

556D231C-4A48-4F12-BF05-86C9F2D13A43_zps

AB2538DF-B41D-4F77-BD06-4967036D1248_zps

9FABC579-4F14-412C-9246-B78E689B49FA_zps

D508896E-A5E9-4819-AD4C-45908A6F7FC8_zps

F0EBF3E2-CB85-45BF-912D-420224568079_zps

801139C2-649A-4A7E-AD98-1C11525F7376_zps

Just need to decide what I'm going to etch onto the plexi? Malibu, wakesetter, Exile??

Cabins finally got here, started installing last night

74C48D03-DA59-4C9F-AB52-4D16BCAB644E_zps

49C9B8D8-4DA9-4AB8-8933-514765F5FEED_zps

4ACE6029-DAD0-4CBF-A870-C45AE0979886_zps

2702F50A-C7F2-42F3-AEF2-F11092B9C2D0_zps

321FF6B6-94E1-4C41-9915-C23A8223F768_zps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94

Nope, done here in so cal. Spoke with Brian on the phone a few times, super helpful, no pressure, and all the great reviews from everyone on here. He actually calls back when you have a question, regarding anything. Can't say enough good things.

I'll get you the dimensions of the box. I'm actually having Audio Experts in Ventura do work as I just had that knee surgery and limits me crawling around. Tillys Marine uses them. So other than the tower stuff I'm that annoying customer looking over their shoulder double checking everything and telling them how I want it. Especially the wireless part as I think they look at me odd. Not they don't do good work, but sometimes installers try to take shortcuts, which I didn't want. I think I'll be okay to install the lighting in the next week or so

Edited by wakebrdr94

How does that AirEnabler sound in the boat? I know you said it sounded good in your car and I'm trying to figure out how I want to hook my phone up to our system.

Boat's looking good too.

IMO, firing the sub toward the hull gives it "more punch". In my first boat, I had the sub in the observers compartment, side firing and I really loved it. In the following boat I had the woofer behind the kick plate facing forward and it just didn't seem to hit as hard. A buddy suggested and explained (i'm not very bass speak savvy) that it would sound better side firing, so we moved the box to face the hull, and it sounded awesome. again, just my opinion. As long as it was firing to the side, and after seeing some other builds, I liked the plexiglass where when you light it up it looks good.

I got to test the air enabler in the boat, on the trailer no issues. I'll have to really test more on the water with the motor running, but i don't anticipate any issues

Edited by wakebrdr94

Wakebrd - Appreciate the props. Install is looking good. A lot of people have been asking about the performance of that Javelin amp. Be interested to hear what you think of the overall setup once your done. I like the enclosure. Side firing / forward fire / down fire --- these are all personal preference. Many people will chime in and say one is better than the other.. I don't care how technical we get about it.... It's all subjective. It comes down to "what you like". Personally, I think the most important thing in the sub zone is the proper execution of the enclosure and how it mounts (attaches) to the floor. That Plexiglass looks huge!!!!!!!!! wow! Nice work so far.

I have been needing to build a new box since the factory platic one is so crappy I really like your sub box. I may steal your side firing idea if you don't mind. :cheers:

I also like that it keeps the sub from getting kicked by the driver. Does your boat have a heater mounted behind the dash? It looks like you have a lot more room back there than I do so my box would probably be a bit more complex to get the right amount of volume.

Edited by Brett B

Thanks Brian, It's easy to give props when speaking the truth. The boat is still at Tillys, hopefully I should have it in the next couple days the cabin speakers in the next couple days and we'll be set. I just need to find a tint guy in my area and install the LEDs not much left. Brett, I stole the side firing idea from searching threads. At least the plexiglass look. I liked the side firing in previous boats. I do not have a heater, it's pretty warm out this way. But I'll get you the dimensions on the box when I get the boat Here was something similar http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36978-subwoofer-enclosure-2003-vlx/ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • 2 weeks later...

9BDC55EC-B5F8-4835-B1B7-F5E5AA9B8A30_zps

Wakebrd, some questions about your setup...

1) Where did you get the parts for the mount and the button?

2) Can you snap a pic of your iphone in clipped into place?

3) Do you anticipate using wifi or bluetooth more? Which is better sound quality? I keep hearing that bluetooth streaming is not good sound quality (compression on top of already compressed music). Does wifi solve this?

4) If you don't have any wired input options, what is the iPhone cable doing there? Is it just for charging the iPhone so it lasts all day?

I'm in the process of planning my Exile build and I also ordered my boat with no stereo gear. So your build is particularly interesting to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Edited by IXFE

I finally had a chance to test both wifi and Bluetooth on the water, and there were no issues with either. The wire is for purely charging. I ordered the button on eBay, search stainless steel push button and they show up. Using the bezel you have will look a little cleaner as it will be a more snug fit. I bought an ipod dedicated for the boat, but I tested with both iPhone and ipod. I'm still looking at a way to do an iPad mini in its spot. But for now this works.

post-16010-13992702124846_thumb.jpg

See Chadwick's pictures below. This is what yours would look like. I have that bezel as well, so I may go smaller for the more custom fit, or figure out the iPad mini thing

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46123-chadillac-mxz/page-3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94

Finally got the cabin speakers, started installing by flashlight as I couldn't wait (photos at the top). Still don't see the wires for the rear back speakers

Finally got the cabin speakers, started installing by flashlight as I couldn't wait (photos at the top). Still don't see the wires for the rear back speakers

Couple more questions...

1) Tell me about your amp installation. I assume you didn't get a factory amp rack since you ordered no audio package. Did you build/mount your own rack? If so, will you share details? It will help me a lot as I'm using the same amps. From your pic it almost looks like the amps are mounted directly to the inside wall of the hull.

2) How did you cut out the holes in the walk through?

3) For the cabin speakers did you use the factory wiring? Or did you run your own?

Thanks!

Edited by IXFE

For the speakers I used the wires that were already there, had already connected them to the amp so it was ready to go when the speakers arrived. Going to install bow speakers tomorrow and still search for the ones in the very rear.

Cutting the holes in the walk through, traced a circle, drilled a small hole, and used a dremel. Figured the hole was going to be there anyway, start small and work my way up, worked out good. I was a little worried about what the vinyl would do, but it was fine.

I did not build the amp rack, but I'll get in there later and snap some picks for you

Edited by wakebrdr94

For the speakers I used the wires that were already there, had already connected them to the amp so it was ready to go when the speakers arrived. Going to install bow speakers tomorrow and still search for the ones in the very rear. Cutting the holes in the walk through, traced a circle, drilled a small hole, and used a dremel. Figured the hole was going to be there anyway, start small and work my way up, worked out good. I was a little worried about what the vinyl would do, but it was fine. I did not build the amp rack, but I'll get in there later and snap some picks for you Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome... always wanted a reason to buy a Dremel. This might be it!

I think I'm beginning to see why you guys like this DIY stuff... good reason to keep collecting tools. :biggrin:

Bow speakers done, just the seat backs left and we're good. Still cannot find the rear wires for those. One of the pairs that shipped to my house was damaged, so need to wait for replacements.

Still need to do my LEDs, but the xkglow kit has issues while testing, so may be looking for a better music sync led solution. I'm open to suggestions on the one.

242E4FD3-7766-46DF-9347-7F450F7B3CD2_zps
6BBAF2D5-691F-48AE-AC2B-98955D0B372D_zps
F618D222-7FFD-4315-8836-41C17F9D4773_zps
467C63AD-E626-4AED-BE19-3D5DD4BB6A8A_zps
48EE181A-7155-499F-94CD-53B5F2ECD957_zpsC277FDCB-A609-49A7-806E-CBBCDFF4763E_zps
3D9C9ECA-ABF8-45AE-98A0-88682D9F424B_zps
Edited by wakebrdr94

Looks great on the cabin install. Did I read that right about speakers got damaged in shipment? If so, PM me, and we arrange a replacement. -Brian

What's that sac you have under the bow seats?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

the flyhigh W711. won't fill completely under there, but if I put it on the seats, it gets 725lbs

Looks great on the cabin install. Did I read that right about speakers got damaged in shipment? If so, PM me, and we arrange a replacement. -Brian

I spoke with bakes today and they're taking care of it, Thanks for the offer. If anything else, I'll let you know.

Just wanted to update: finally got to hear this system and run it a bit hard, an all I can say is WOW. Better than I expected. Out here in Parker and just let it play. Ran for about 6 hours straight, not one issue. The Javelin Amp handled everything and not one complaint. I have to admit I was a little apprehensive using a five channel amp vs it's own dedicated for the sub, but Exile did an awesome job with it. I personally do not think my system is anything over the top with people putting more than four speakers on the tower and multiple subs, but I had compliments and people asking about it.

Only complaint was I was getting some noise on the wifi side, but I'm pretty sure that it has to be with the DAC, but I kind I expected it after reading some things and at that volume. Once I replace that with a better one, I'm sure it'll be perfect.

I have noticed that my wifi connection seems to be stronger in my phone than the iPod touch, as I get better range with it. (But we're talking about 80 feet vs 25). Put the iPod in a lifeproof case do when at the swimstep, a gopro float on the back of it, and was awesome!

Exile was sooooo worth the wait.

• 1 month later...

just stumbling onto this post now - awesome!! Love that sub box. Thats one detail I have no finished in our boat yet.... need to get on it asap!! Good work!

• 2 weeks later...