Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

D-GOOSE

Comptech Safety Rope Release 2014 GB

Comptech Safety Release  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Sign me up for the GB in Oct.

• Yes
    • No Thanks

D-GOOSE

Looking to set up a GB on Comptech Safety Rope Release come this Oct. We have had some interest and wanted to start seeing how many are interested in this great product. Not sure on price as we will have too see how many people order.

Let others know we are setting this up because the more we have the better the deal.

formulaben

I'm definitely interested.

Flyswatter

I am interested in the group buy, but I am not sure I want to wait until October.

TeamAllen

The one to try to work with one now is Brad @ http://www.eastcoasthydrofoils.com/

He was who I started with last year, but SkySki took it over.

I called him a few days ago to see if he would want to be involved. He said he would contact me today.

I am glad to see others are still interested. That's a good sign. I love mine and glad it never went off last season.

D-GOOSE

I have already made contact and just waiting for the end of the season to put it together. GB are for the slower part of the year.

CedarLakeSkier

My daughter is getting in to trick skiing, so I was interested until I saw the price, I saw it for $695 :crazy:

Even a group buy would be too rich for my blood and October is after the season is over.

Bill_AirJunky

My daughter is getting in to trick skiing, so I was interested until I saw the price, I saw it for $695 :crazy:

Even a group buy would be too rich for my blood and October is after the season is over.

So just how much is your daughters arm or leg worth?

There are releases that cost less. The difference is that this one is both manual & automatic, set to release when it exceeds a specific rate (ie; about 600 lbs is usually good)..... before your arm breaks but after you've had a chance to try & pull out the trick.

Look around for a manual release. And just be sure that whoever you assign to pull the release is not screwing around or daydreaming & actually ready to pull the handle.

martinarcher

I'm in! Thanks dude!

CedarLakeSkier

So just how much is your daughters arm or leg worth?

There are releases that cost less. The difference is that this one is both manual & automatic, set to release when it exceeds a specific rate (ie; about 600 lbs is usually good)..... before your arm breaks but after you've had a chance to try & pull out the trick.

Look around for a manual release. And just be sure that whoever you assign to pull the release is not screwing around or daydreaming & actually ready to pull the handle.

There are a lot of things that could be justified by that argument. Truth is she hasn't learned any tricks yet where she can't just let go of the rope like you would if wakeboarding.

Certainly an arm or a leg is worth that, but that doesn't mean a device like this has to be priced at an arm and a leg. As you state there are manual devices that are much cheaper. I believe when the ski team is practicing they aren't even using a device, but rather a special knot that they can release.

I'm simply saying it would be good to have an automatic device that wasn't so expensive. This device is more than the trick ski and bindings cost.

dfarhood

I'm simply saying it would be good to have an automatic device that wasn't so expensive. This device is more than the trick ski and bindings cost.

You could do the Cinch Velcro + manual release http://www.eastcoasthydrofoils.com/component/hikashop/product/5-release?Itemid=103

Now I kind of want to get that, the Comptech is definitely a better design just not so wallet friendly.

Bill_AirJunky

There are a lot of things that could be justified by that argument. Truth is she hasn't learned any tricks yet where she can't just let go of the rope like you would if wakeboarding.

Certainly an arm or a leg is worth that, but that doesn't mean a device like this has to be priced at an arm and a leg. As you state there are manual devices that are much cheaper. I believe when the ski team is practicing they aren't even using a device, but rather a special knot that they can release.

I know of a few cases where people weren't even doing ANY tricks, but just got their arm or leg tangled in a loop in the rope & it caused major damage..... missing toe, severed bicep, crushed hand, etc..... two of which were people just sitting in the boat. The severed bicep was a very recognizable wakeboarder who just missed a handle pass. In every case if some kind of automatic release was used, then the incident would have ended drastically better. The Cinch is a good example & I use it on every ride. But it has it's drawbacks too. Once the Velcro gets wet, it doesn't tend to stick as well, which means your guessing on how to set it. A bigger rider needs it set differently than a lighter one. Plus a manual release is only as good as the person who is paying attention to the rider. This is where the CompTech really shines. It is both an automatic & a manual release. And it can be setup for different riders by just spinning the collar, which doesn't take much time or effort.

As for cost, I guess everyone has to determine that one on their own. Medical expenses cost a lot. So do boats & towers. Many of us dump 10 times the cost of this thing into the stereo system. Being out of work for a couple days can cost a ton too. Doesn't seem very reasonable to justify it by the cost of the ski & bindings.

In my book, the big drawback for the Comptech is that it's pretty much a permanent fixture on whatever boat it's installed on. I ride behind a number of different boats over the course of any average summer. The Comptech does me no good on my boat if I'm riding behind my buddies' boat. For that reason, I use the Cinch set at full engagement & don't let it get wet. It has released on me like 4 times over the years...... twice were situations where it prematurely released when it should not have. That can get messy too. Fortunately it wasn't a problem for me, just a big surprise. Twice it's saved my bacon & was well worth the time & expense to use it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

BoilerUp

I'm interested. I had my arm through the handle before on a face plant, but got lucky and escaped with lots of bruises.

Bill_AirJunky

Heres an interesting alternative for a quick release. Only cost a little over $100. The guys at Samson make one similar to this called a "bullet style" of release. It's basically 2 metal pieces held together by a sheer pin.... a pin thats breaking strength is around 600 lbs, or whatever rated pin you want to buy. They call it a bullet style because when it breaks, everyone in the back seat better duck. :surprised:

Bradley Thornton

I picked one up last year and it is nice. I am very happy with my purchase. If you have kids its a must. Keep in mind you get what you pay for.

TeamAllen

It's an incredible piece of workmanship! Very well built and a lot of thought went into the design of it. Everybody that rode in my boat last year was asking about it. When you explain the safety benefits and they realize how dangerous the rope can be, they wonder why they aren't included with every boat? The riders don't just feel safer, they are safer.

They are expensive. That's even more reason why a group buy on something like this is so valuable. Good job for setting this up D-GOOSE.

I'm a believer in at least having something that will help prevent rope injuries. If you can't afford this one at least get something. Heck, one guy last year started using different break strength zip ties.

Edited by TeamAllen

toddthelineman

I've never seen an automatic release, but when I was involved with a ski show team we used manual releases for anything that might require one and the spotter had to be experienced and trusted. There were still accidents and injuries here and there. I have a manual release for my boat, but I would consider getting something like this for sure. If you land on the rope it only takes an instant to get hurt.

mkpursehouse

Did this group buy happen, will there be another one?

martinarcher

I don't think it ever went down but I'm certainly still in if D-Goose gets enough to make it happen.

tncumminsguy

I'd be down because i'm picking up my first sky ski

D-GOOSE

Yes this is on the list for the fall time when things slow down.

2manyhobbies

I'd be down because i'm picking up my first sky ski

I've been using the cinchstrap by Cinch (Lonnie is good people) for about 10 years now. Its saved me ~6 times with anything from an arm through the handle to catching the foil on the rope. Its not a perfect setup, but it's much more affordable then the trick release. You adjust the level of tension by moving the velcro strap up and down creating more or less surface area of attachment.

tsanfilippo

Did anyone get a Comptech Safety Rope Release and NOW Wants to sell it?? I am looking for one and used would be nice.

Please get a hold of me