Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Mileage

Mackie 12

Looking at a 2007 Yukon with the 5.3L which has 170,000K on it which i know is high. We plan on buying and driving until it is dead, but my main question is how many Km can a guy get out of one of these things? I am a fairly handy guy so basic matenance is no problem, can I get 300K out of them?

Towing put's additional stress on a motor. I would say that at around 200K i start trying to get rid of a vehicle. There is an exception to this rule and that is for diesel engine's some of those can go 400K plus with regular maintenance. This is my opinion but once you start putting allot of miles on these vehicles the repair bills can exceed what you would be making on payment for something new and nicer.

I found a 7.3L turbo diesel excursion. I will likely keep that forever, but if it were gas I would be looking to get rid of it. Just my $.02

I'm assuming 170,000 kilometers which equates to just over 100k miles. With regular maintenance it shouldn't be a problem getting to 180k or 300,000 kilometers. I would definitely want to know how the vehicle was used by the PO. If he has an LSV sitting in his driveway I would probably pass :biggrin:

They never pulled anything with it and this would be used to pull our boat once a year as I have truck also. It would be used as a grocery getter and kid hauler 99% of the time. I know there would be the odd ball joint and wheel bearing replacement and basic maintenance. I just think that with the proper care of a vehicle there is no reason why you cannot get tp the 250-300K mark before putting it to rest. My truck is a 2007 and I have 312,000K on it and it runs perfect, I actually took it into the dealer and told them to fix everything they could find last year (Open Cheque Book) and my was $2,200.00! thats not bad for a truck with that many K on it.

New this vehicle is 70K and I am not interested in paying that kind of dough for vehicle.

The modern engines and trans are much better then the old stuff. 100k miles is nothing anymore.

Care of a vehicle is so important. Me and one of my close buddies had the same year truck (01 gm z71 ext cabs) same motors trans etc. Mine had double the miles (160k vs 80k) yet it was much quieter inside, rode better, and in general looked much better. It was all in how they were taken care of. His had been driven off-road a lot and in general not cared for as well.

If it's well cared for a maintained well I would be suprised if it didn't hold up well over 300k.

Ya 70K for a fully loaded one which this one is.

The only thing that really scars me is all of the electronis in cars these days, once they go it is an arm and a leg to replace anything.

102,000 is fairly low mileage around here......

As mentioned, previous owner upkeep, and your fear of electronics. The unfortunate thing is that electronics are more of a hit-or-miss, unlike an engine that is heavily maintenance dependent. Good news is if there were issues they were likely already resolved.

My '96 Tahoe rolled 225.000 miles this week--360,000+ km. Minor repairs only so far. Other than rust.

170,000km is ~106,000 miles. Not high but does start getting into the range of maintenance needs for most vehicles.

My '02 Avalanche has 156k miles on her now. There are quite a few towing and hauling miles on this thing...it has not led a pampered lift. Motor doesn't burn/leak a drop, originally tranny still going fine. That said, you don't know how the previous owner really maintained the vehicle, so where some people may have great luck others will not. Regardless, I'd put a big aftermarket tranny cooler on it right away...I attribute that to being the reason my transmission is still going strong.

As for electronics going bad, there isn't anything that high-tech in the Tahoe/Yukon. Parts aren't that bad if you know where to shop.

Yeah, 105K miles (170k KM) isn't that much. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase and drive for another 80k-100K miles, especially if the price is right. Not sure if you can purchase with cash or not, but a lot of the banks here have a hard time loaning $$ to a car purchase with over 100k miles. I would have all the fluids flushed and changed though...tranny (and new filter), motor, rear diff, (if 4wd: front diff, and transfer case), fuel filter, and radiator.

I had an 00' silverado with the 5.3L, it was a serious PITA to drop the tranny pan to change the filter.

we only pay cash for our vehicles/toys as it make it easier when you sell them and Market value is below what you owe on the unit. I would ask that all fluids been changed previous to purchase and a pre purchase inspection be completed. It sounds like there si alot of guys on here that a similar vehicle and have no big problems with their high milers.

My neighbor just sold his 99 Chevy pickup with the 5.3 and it had 480k miles. Original motor no rebuilds but three transmissions.

My dad had a GMC 1500 that was given to me with 100,000 miles on it. He pulled an RV with it. I gave it to my brother @ 125,000 miles on it. I pulled my boat with it. My brother gave it to his father in law with 175,000 miles on it. Brother did not tow anything with it. Father in law gave it back to my brother with 250,000 miles on it. He pulled an RV with it. Brother sold it with 275,000 miles on it. In that time frame, the truck only had the a/c go out on it. Besides regular maintenance this vehicle never saw the shop. Treat them right, they will go forever...

$70,000 for a Tahoe? Even in Canadian money that is insane, should be able to get 2 of them for that.

The 2015 Tahoe LTZ on our showroom floor has an MSRP of $67,555.

I have a 2004 Silverado PU with the 5.3 and 256,000 miles on the odometer and pull my VLX every weekend. Granted... towing over heavy grades is not my trucks favorite thing to do, but that is about the only drawback. I still get 19 mpg on the highway when I'm not towing. About 14 when towing the boat. If there has been adequate maintenance on the vehicle it should be fine.

If the oil hasn't been changed recently, and if you can get a hold of a small sample of the oil and the transmission fluid, an alaysis from a lab like Blackstone will give you a great deal of information about the condition of the engine and trans. At a minimum, an analysis may let you know if big problem is just around the corner.

I just got rid of my 07 GMC sierra and I had issues taken care of under warranty. Some of the 5.3L 07 active fuel management engines starting developing serious oil burning issues around 30-40K miles...mine was one of them. There was a bulletin on it, and they finally put new pistons and rings in it which resolved the problem, but it started at 36K miles and took until 70K before they would actually fix it...painful to say the least. It had 91K on it when I got rid of it last week and wasn't burning oil, but who knows if it was going to start again. In the meantime it lost the transmission at 60K, which was replaced under warranty. It had a tow package, but I then added a 3rd trans cooler and I think the transmission was on the verge of going out again at 91K. I didn't drive the truck hard and never towed in OD to make it easier on the transmission, but I don't think it helped. I've had other trucks with with well over 140K miles and never any transmission issues. Just my personal experience which is contrary to many of the other posts. I would run the history report at a GM dealer to see what has been done to it.

Thanks for everyone's opinion, sounds like if ya take care of it then sure it is possible. But buying a used one at 170K better do your research on the previous history.