Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X tower bushing tolerances

I bought my boat with 40 hours and its always had a little play in it if I pull back or push up on the tower. I'm talking 1/16" inch towards the stern. I figured it was pretty standard. The tower is very solid left to right and does not rattle or anything. Overall im very happy with it despite its bad stigma. Is this a normal amount?

Just the rear? Or the front too?

I'd hate to buy and replace all the bushings only for it to still have that little amount of play too!

Edited by NorrisMike

I think it is normal. But it's not right.

The problem is when your driving over waves, the tower will "bounce" a bit, 1/16" up & then down. Over time this tends to increase as parts wear. One of the guys here in Spokane had his daughter out on the boat with him. She had her arm wrapped around the tower base as they were cruising up the lake at speed. Her arm got pinched in the gap & it gave her a blood blister that was like 6" or 8" long.

My Illusion XS has some play and is now rattling on one side. Is bushing replacement pretty straight foward?

Seems like it would be a pain in the a$$.

Yes seems like bushing replacement is needed soon. they are not to bad to replace. Make sure you check out a couple threads here on the crew, a couple guys found out where to get the bushings rather then getting them from Bakes and save yourself a few $$$

Yes seems like bushing replacement is needed soon. they are not to bad to replace. Make sure you check out a couple threads here on the crew, a couple guys found out where to get the bushings rather then getting them from Bakes and save yourself a few $$$

$186 for a complete set :crazy: I think Grainger and/or Mcmaster Carr has them. I remember someone posting some part numbers....

My Illusion XS has some play and is now rattling on one side. Is bushing replacement pretty straight foward?

Seems like it would be a pain in the a$$.

Depends. I've seen them seized up & had to be drilled out. Assuming the tower still folds down, they should come out fairly easy & replacement shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure you have the replacements handy first.

IGUS is the company that builds the bushings, or used to build them for Metcraft.

I have posted links several times here. SEARCH function works. They are only about 20 bucks for a set for the whole tower direct from them.

You will have to do a little measuring as I can't remember which exact bushings the part numbers are, but they are there.

• 3 weeks later...

See below to the response from IGUS regarding the rear release bushing - maybe the rears are custom made by someone? I just checked with mcmaster and they don't have it either.

"Thank you again for getting back to us. After seeing your picture I realized that it wasn't in fact one of our materials. I checked with our product manager and she has confirmed that this is not an igus material. Like we discussed we do have materials that can work in this environment but unfortunately we do not stock the thickness you require in order to replace this part.
I do not have information on who does this part but I suggest checking with McMaster Carr, MSC or Grainger since they have very large lists of products from which you may be able to hunt down the manufacturer.
I apologize we could not be of further help. Let me know if you have questions."
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi NorrisMike,

Did you order the front bushings from igus? Have you installed them yet? Bakes has amazing service, but there price seems crazy. I am curious to see how this turns out for you