Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Awnings

barefootboy

Was looking for an awning that would cover my wakesetter that would attach to the side of the boathouse to keep it out of the sun while it is tied up. Anyone know of some on the web that are nice size ? Thanks in advance

Don't know a thing about them but they advertise around hear all the time. http://www.sunsetter.com/?srccode=2530&srccode2=21743S993138310

I would stay away from these. A friend of mine had one and hated it. He said that if there was anything more than a slight breeze, he had to retract it or it would get destroyed. Certainly no good in a storm.

I would stay away from these. A friend of mine had one and hated it. He said that if there was anything more than a slight breeze, he had to retract it or it would get destroyed. Certainly no good in a storm.

Cool as said I know nothing of them just see it advertised around the area. Thanks for the feed back. Sure don't want to suggest a questionable product.

• Like 1

+1, I had one on the back deck of my houseboat and can attest to above statements. I would never leave it unattended.

• Like 1

I had a shade-sail made by these guys: http://www.customshadesails.com/premadeshadesails.html. They will make it in any shape you want - the thing is totally bomb-proof. I'm worried in high wind it will tear my house apart. Was not very expensive - have thought about doing it on the end of our boat house, needs to be secured on all sides though - no supports.

• Like 1

Very interesting. Have never heard of them. Did u use the Sunbrella material or the regular ? Did u install yourself? Thank you!

I used the regular material as I was not interested in having it be a complete sun block vs. a shade. I did install it myself. Basically you need to put some type of eye bolt where each corner goes, then you use turnbuckles to connect the cover to the eye bolts. Install was pretty easy. If I were going to do it in a place where I needed to remove it/lift one side to get boat in and out, I'd use eye-bolts with some type of tension straps, or just plan on having it be slightly less taught. Mine is strapped very tightly - you can bounce quarters off of it... but you obviously don't need it that tight.

The only issue with these is wind. They are sails after all... the bigger you make them the more chance of them grabbing a lot of air and putting stress on the surrounding structure. They are WAY more durable than an awning though if mounted properly, and they look pretty kick-a** as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great info !We have alot of restrictions on our lake but wouldn't see this as being any kind of issue. My boat is 21ft. Curious what size you got? Thanks again

I have a 23, so not a huge size difference - but to be clear I don't use the shade sail on my boathouse - I use it at home. I've considered having one made to put on the tail end of my boat house where the sun creeps under and think it would work great for that, but haven't really had the energy around it.