Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 VRide or Axis A22/A20

alvanmn

New to V Drives, as an owner, buddies have had them for years. Currently run a 20' I/O and really want to get a vdrive. I have the option between a 2012 21 Vride at $52K, 0 hours, Indmar 330, etc. and then there is a 2013 Axis A20 90 hours or a A22 with about the same each for right at $50K. So dollars are about the same on all. Will the Vride be way better in all categories or will the Axis hold its own?

First - Will the 21 Ride do pretty much everything? I am wakeboarding less and wanting to surf more. Can't afford a new WakeSetter with surfgate, not sure if I can afford the new Axis with surfgate either.

So the boat will really be for surfing, tubing, the occasional bare foot (usally when one friend in particular is there and knows how to drive the boat also) and so my lab can continue his jumping off the swim platform. Pretty sure he likes chasing the ball more than hunting. Will all three of these boats do all of the above?

I am not looking for all the techy stuff, but would like to have GPS speed (not sure on all the names for this) plus be able to weight the ballast without having to have extra sacs everywhere.

Long winded - throw me out any and all thoughts you guys have on either of these. I have seen both, will ride them once the ice is gone here in MN. I also understand that the 2012 Vride is the older model Wakesetter hull - gotta love the trickel down over the years.

Other pieces that might help-

-No size restrictions on the lakes we go, however personal preference would be to keep it 20-22' (22' will still fit in my garage tongue folded)

-50% of the time it is the wife, pup and myself; the other 50% I'd say 4-8 people so all should have enough space; questioning the size of the A20 though with a 6-8 person outing?

-Is surfgate as life changing as it seems?

Shoot me back with any and everything to consider, preferences, must have options, etc. Look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Here is my $.02. If the A22 and A20 are roughly the same price I would throw the A20 out of the list as long as you have storage figured for a 22' boat. I will be ordering a new T22 at the end of this season and test driven with the 330HP and if you plan to foot at 38-40mpg it maybe possible but any faster and you may have issues. To surf you need to throw a ton of weight in these boats and with a 330 motor you are looking at a high alt or torque prop 1235 or 2315 which is going to drop your top end speed to 36-37 if your lucky.

If you were just surfing/boarding I think the 330 and prop would do the trick but if you want to primarily surf with occasional barefoot runs then unless you are 150lbs and run 36mph you may have some issues. I like to long line around 42 and weigh 180lbs. I will be ordering the T22 with stock prop and 350 motor.

I was seriously considering the V-Ride last year as I like the simple dash and price tag compared to the VLX but after spending time in the T22 with the newer interior/styling + surfgate, it was really a no brainer. From a resale perspective I cannot see how the V-Ride can continue to exist when new price tags are almost similar but one has surfgate and one does not. There will always be a buyer for any product but having the options that appeal to a larger group of buyers is something I have to take into account.

I was thinking about the A22, but everyone told me that the overall fit and feel of the lsv and vlx was much better. I got in the A22 and the vinyl was pretty cheap looking. I think you need to drive them or ride in them and decide that way.

great choice to have. I was in a similar situation when I bought my boat. Wife and I were down to 3 boats. New (2011) A22, new (2011) Vride, or used (2006-2008) VLX. My wife loves the VLX and really wanted a new one, but price tag… you know. So we looked at the new Vride as it is the same hull as the VLX we wanted. I like the Axis as it looks rad and was simple, and had the capability of throwing tons of weight in it without sacks on the floor or seats. So our quest began. Prices were as follows from highest to lowest, New Vride, New A22, and used VLX. The Vride was about $5k more than the A22 and the used vlx was just a few thousand less than the A22 I was pricing out. So we threw out the used VLX as we could have a new boat with warranties and we could choose the colors we wanted for just a few K more. We had spent a lot of time in the Vride (VLX) and new we loved the wake and the handling of the boat. So we test drove the A22 and it handled just like the VLX. The A22 hull is very very similar to the Vride/VLX hull and new that the wakes would both be amazing when slammed. It finally came down to a few things for us as we chose the A22. 1. $5000 cheaper. 2. Vrides do not have bow ballast as an option, so I would have to take my brand new boat and install a front ballast system and then throw a bunch of lead up there in addition. (the A22 has that option and can hold a lot more weight in the bow). 3. snap in carpet on the A22 because we have kids. 4. Chillax seats. 5. loved the form and function of the windshield.

Honestly would not change my decision if I had the chance…. very happy with our boat, but I think we would have been very happy with the vride too.

The guys on here who surf will be great at pointing you into a better surf wave, I do not know. And since you are buying used, I assume the A22 does not have surf gate? If you can push a little bit more, surf gate would be a great option. I do not surf but I would have added that to my boat if it was available back then.

As for props, My boat with 600 lbs of lead in it all the time goes 41 with the acme 1235 prop, and 40 with the 2315 with the 335CAT motor and 1400' of elevation. So yes, 'footin at 40 will be possible I think with the 1235 and absolutely no weight, but to have a decent surf wave I think the 1235 is almost a must… Another option is the OJ Cinco, 5 blade, great prop, less bottom end punch than the 1235 but not by much, top speed is 43 on my set up. It is a quiet prop and got my 4000 lbs up on plane, not sure how it does with that much weight in a listed boat at 10-11 mph, but I think you should be able to find that answer. That Cinco will probably be the best all around prop for what you want to do.

neither boat has "zero off" or any gps based speed control, they both use the malibu paddle wheel system. Not sure if you can go aftermarket with a GPS system, would like to do it myself, but I have had no problems with my paddle wheel.

I would wait a few months and let the Axis lineup declare its surf champ (I suspect it will be the T22 or a heavily weighted A24) and you can buy a lightly used T22 for 50K with surfgate.

This boat will have great resale value.

None of the deals you are getting are crazy low so I think you will be able to get them again in a few months and you will be in a SG boat versus a non SG boat.

I think the Axis boats have better wake potential the the Vride. I love the hull shape and dash switches in the Axis boats. My Axis came with surf gate so if it has that then it would kill the Vride for me. If you prefer the classic hull shape with wrap around windshields then grab the Vride.

Awesome. Thanks for all the insight. Open water day is still a little ways away and can't wait to get out on the water to test drive these. oldjeep the '12 with zero hours is a brand new boat that was never sold at a dealer by me. Still sitting there with it beautiful fresh looks and no one has taken it for a ride. JohnnyDefacto is the A22 pretty good with a rough water ride? Sometimes the wind gets whipping and the next thing you know you have some good chop and are trying to get back to dry land.

Keep it coming folks. Very much enjoy all the insight.

I say shop for a used VLX. The fit and finish will be much better than any other option, you can find them with low hours and immaculate condition for cheap.

Surfgate: Surfgate is convenient and adequate for a lot of the people on this forum. They love it. With A LOT of weight it seems to make a very good wave but this negates the convenience. Many of us prefer the quality of a a listed wave over that of the SG wave.

So.......is it more important for you to have convenience, or is it more important to have quality....and don't get me wrong, quality can be had with SG but it is no longer convenient because you have to put 4K of ballast in your boat to do it.

Plenty of us still prefer listing your boat so I say used VLX for a better overall package.

Awesome. Thanks for all the insight. Open water day is still a little ways away and can't wait to get out on the water to test drive these. oldjeep the '12 with zero hours is a brand new boat that was never sold at a dealer by me. Still sitting there with it beautiful fresh looks and no one has taken it for a ride. JohnnyDefacto is the A22 pretty good with a rough water ride? Sometimes the wind gets whipping and the next thing you know you have some good chop and are trying to get back to dry land.

Keep it coming folks. Very much enjoy all the insight.

No, it doesn't have a good rough water ride… it is like all the Malibu's. With such a flat rear hull it does not cut through the chop like some of the deeper v-drives out there, but it's not bad either. When it is white capping, I just run around 22ish and it does well. I also run a little bit of ballast and it seems to do better.

No, it doesn't have a good rough water ride it is like all the Malibu's. With such a flat rear hull it does not cut through the chop like some of the deeper v-drives out there, but it's not bad either. When it is white capping, I just run around 22ish and it does well. I also run a little bit of ballast and it seems to do better.

Agreed, I will run my A22 in 20-30mph open water chop but I'll fill the bow ballast to get the deeper part of the "V" of the hull to cut the waves. I'll keep the speed around 18-20mph in those conditions. It might be a bouncy ride but the hull is solid. The Axis hull does ride dry in chop with little spray though which is nice.

Edited by AJWest