Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Samson Mirror arm

jeffmx

Ok... I finally got around to putting on the mirror arm today.

It is really nice, and I like how it is higher off of the windshield than the one I had on the last boat, which was tower mounted, basically on top of the windshield.

Where I mounted it the first time today was to the starboard side of the little hole/cap on the bottom of the tower.

I noticed that with the bimini, it works, but puts pressure on the bimini- in other words, if you were standing on the rear deck, you can see the bimini bulging where the bracket is.

Where do you guys mount them in relation to the tower, (left or right of the little hole)and have you noticed the bimini stretching over the bracket?

Perhaps I am too anal retentive- actually I know I am.... Biggrin.gif

Here are pictures from the Delta today... did I mention that I am sunburned?? Yahoo.gif

post-81-1146274027_thumb.jpg

post-81-1146274232_thumb.jpg

I never got around to showing off my Samson Mirror Either. Here's a photo out in front of the Boat Ramp. I've gotta rotate the mirror 90 degrees if there's a lot of walk-way traffic because it's soo wide, but otherwise I love it compared to the old CIPA.

post-153-1146286850_thumb.jpg

Looks good, Slurpee! I'm working on placement of my Samson and am curious about where your mount sits on the tower. When you drop the tower, is it above or below the windshield?

Thanks,

Mike

Looks good, Slurpee! I'm working on placement of my Samson and am curious about where your mount sits on the tower. When you drop the tower, is it above or below the windshield?

Thanks,

Mike

It looks like Slurpee located his clamp above the windshield when the tower is down, but that's just a guess. I put my clamp just below because when my tower is down the windshield contact point is quite a ways up that leg. So I will have to remove my mirror before dropping the tower. Since I planned on removing it to tow, this wasn't a problem. The clamp location is the first decision you should make and then try to stick with it. The fit is so close on the clamp that it is almost impossible to put it on and take it off without nicking the tower. I discovered after getting everything in place that the mirror also adjusts in relation to the arm (tilting up and down for shorter or taller drivers). This was probably obvious to everyone but me! :blush: I'll post some pics of mine later, but I think it looks great.

The T3 must be a bit wider because the end of my mirror does not reach the walkway.

I mounted it above the windshield. You can just see the black bumper pad on the tower where it leans on the windshield. I almost never put it down though. I didn't think about that aspect. Looks like I'm lucky there though. On the newer boats with the sleaker windshields, the clamp location I chose would be right where it lays on the windshield.

I tried mounting the clamp on the tube so that the rotating joint was completely forward. This would have dragged the mirror arm 3 or 4 inches to the driver's side and out of the walkway. Unfortunately the mirror doesn't tilt enough to make up for the angle of the front wishbone. So I had to mount the clamp 45 degrees off forward so I could make use of the rotating mount to compensate for the tilt of the tower.

Lets talk about the illusion!!!

Tracie talked about the bulge in the bimini in an earlier post.

I think the arm looks great on your VLX. I wouldn't change a thing unless you don't like it? Then you can sell it to me Biggrin.gif

You can find them at Samson Sports. I don't know the regular price but it should be on the web site. There was a group buy through the Crew a month or two ago but those prices are no longer available.

Sorry, part of the agreement we have with group buy vendors is that the pricing is not publicly divulged and that the pricing is only available during the time of the group buy.

We do that to help protect the vendor and to make them feel more at ease with the group buy concept. There have been problems in the past where the vendor's dealers found out about the pricing given to group buys and complaind. We don't want that to happen here on the Crew.

Please do not ask Samson to honor the group buy pricing. The only thing that could accomplish would be to cause them to reconsider their support of TheMalibuCrew and perhaps make it so that we could not do another group buy with them in the future.

Sorry I don't have better news for you!

Regards,

Mike

Lets talk about the illusion!!!

Tracie talked about the bulge in the bimini in an earlier post.

I think the arm looks great on your VLX. I wouldn't change a thing unless you don't like it? Then you can sell it to me Biggrin.gif

I have been so busy using the boat, I must have missed that . Biggrin.gif

That's all the pics you have? I was wondering what it looks like from the floor...

just messing with you. :) Thanks for the nice pics.

I haven't been able to mount my mirror yet since my boat IS STILL IN STORAGE and I'M ABOUT TO GO NUTS.

I went ahead & merged these threads since they were basically the same thing. I blew it & didn't get any pictures on the water this weekend, but we still need to clean up the boat & put her away, so I'll get some shots at that point.

I went ahead & merged these threads since they were basically the same thing. I blew it & didn't get any pictures on the water this weekend, but we still need to clean up the boat & put her away, so I'll get some shots at that point.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my Samson mirror arm mounted and out on the water for the first trip of spring. It is a very well made piece of equipment that looks very snappy on the boat.

But, I've got to say that I'm a little disappointed in how effective the mirror is on my illusion tower. The mirror sits too high off the windshield in my situation which makes for a poor angle that brings the back of the bimini into to field of view. I alway ride with the bimini, so this will always be a problem.

It means that when I've got a rider directly behind the boat, in the best circumstances, I can only see them from the waist down. If I were shorter, or was not sitting on the bolster seat, this would be even worse. No one else has mentioned this as a problem, so am I doing something wrong, or are you all fine with only being able to see your rider's feet?

Have you used the swivel adjustment at the mirror itself?

I want to make sure I'm not being stupid here... you are asking me if I've adjusted the mirror at the mirror where it can go side-side and up and down, right? If that's what you are talking about, I've done that. Shifting it up doesn't help though because I just see more of the bimini. It seems to me like the arm needs to be longer so that it brings the mirror down closer to the windshield.

Nope, I don't have the extension.

I can see in Jeff's pictures that he can see the horizon, but I can't tell from his pics where its mounted. I mounted mine in the same place as Larry, within an inch or two of the bimini strut.

I wonder if I scoot it to starboard as far as I can, if that will give me a better angle.

Edited by smeagol

I don't have any pics either but I mounted mine between the whole for the bimini and the plug for the predrilled wholes for lights. Works great and can see my rider all the time, well almost. Even with the bimini installed. Now I am also 6'2" so I don't know if that plays a factor or not. Is the bimini the standard bimini or is it some bigger after market bimini? I'll try to take a pic during the day tomorrow and post here