Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone know what company makes a super charger kit for indmar 340

Just wondering avbout the boat for that engine, your profile doesn't say

Edited by malibuparadise

No one makes a kit specifically for an Indmar motor, though any GEN-I SBC kit could be made to work.

That said, you are going to want a screw-type blower, not an centrifugal style. You will also need to be able to tune the motor somehow, bigger fuel pump/injectors and I'm not sure how much the bottom end can take on a boating application. Likely some bracket and intercooler fabrication as well. I'd expect a minimum of a $10,000 investment (excluding any internal motor work) if you do 100% of the work yourself, including tuning.

• Like 3

No one makes a kit specifically for an Indmar motor, though any GEN-I SBC kit could be made to work.

That said, you are going to want a screw-type blower, not an centrifugal style. You will also need to be able to tune the motor somehow, bigger fuel pump/injectors and I'm not sure how much the bottom end can take on a boating application. Likely some bracket and intercooler fabrication as well. I'd expect a minimum of a $10,000 investment (excluding any internal motor work) if you do 100% of the work yourself, including tuning.

Nitrous is spot on. Tuning will be your biggest challenge. I assume since it is a 340hp Monsoon, you are out of warranty but if not, you will void it with the addition of any power adders.

I have installed blowers on a few cars and helped with some trucks. I am sure someone out there makes a roots style blower for it. Just need to do some research I would bet.

Hahaha this has raised some questions. Pro charger hasn't built anything for marine newer than 04 and it was only 2 motors. This would obviously be set up for a small block chevy with a stand alone ECM that I can tune with my hp tuners or EFI live. I want more power for when I'm loaded with ballast at 8600 feet the 340 is a dog. I want a max of like 6 lbs of boost because I realize if I put to much power to the prop it's going to push the boat out of the water and be useless. I think cruising with 3 lbs of boost will help fuel mileage and give me the better hole shot that I'm after. That and I love the sound of a supercharger lol. I see indmar is offering a supercharged version on the newer motors but they don't have anything for the older version. The other thing I have thought about is just building a LS version of a motor with aluminum block and just us a GM computer that I can tune myself with hp tuners. I just don't know what kind of adapters are available for the vdrive yet. So basically it's just a project I would like to work on. Lol

Air flow. Even with the right tuning, getting enough air into the box for that puppy to breath properly is going to be a challenge. There was one tournament boat that I can think of that was supercharged from the factory, by Mastercraft in the '90s (if memory serves it was a factory option on the PS205 for only a year or 2). They put a scoop on the motor box to accommodate the increased need for air. I spoke with a guy that owned one years ago & he said that when you started laying the wood to the throttle, that the sheer volume of air being pulled into the box was impressive.

• Like 2

Air flow. Even with the right tuning, getting enough air into the box for that puppy to breath properly is going to be a challenge. There was one tournament boat that I can think of that was supercharged from the factory, by Mastercraft in the '90s (if memory serves it was a factory option on the PS205 for only a year or 2). They put a scoop on the motor box to accommodate the increased need for air. I spoke with a guy that owned one years ago & he said that when you started laying the wood to the throttle, that the sheer volume of air being pulled into the box was impressive.

PS 197. There was one single 35th edition that got one too. His problems with it were hinted at pretty heavily "over there". Off the water for a few seasons trying to get Indmar to get it working, finally I think he had a third party work it out to where it's usable again.

This would obviously be set up for a small block chevy with a stand alone ECM that I can tune with my hp tuners or EFI live. I want more power for when I'm loaded with ballast at 8600 feet the 340 is a dog.So basically it's just a project I would like to work on. Lol

Makes sense, will be a project for sure. Nothing plug and play that any of us have seen, but anything can be done with enough determination and knowledge sources.

Good luck!

So what is the boat and have you done one of the new big props yet if they'll fit?

PS 197. There was one single 35th edition that got one too. His problems with it were hinted at pretty heavily "over there". Off the water for a few seasons trying to get Indmar to get it working, finally I think he had a third party work it out to where it's usable again.

Thank you, I couldn't remember which model it was. Gotta say, seeing the scoop on that thing & understanding exactly what it was for was wicked cool.

Hahaha this has raised some questions. Pro charger hasn't built anything for marine newer than 04 and it was only 2 motors. This would obviously be set up for a small block chevy with a stand alone ECM that I can tune with my hp tuners or EFI live. I want more power for when I'm loaded with ballast at 8600 feet the 340 is a dog. I want a max of like 6 lbs of boost because I realize if I put to much power to the prop it's going to push the boat out of the water and be useless. I think cruising with 3 lbs of boost will help fuel mileage and give me the better hole shot that I'm after. That and I love the sound of a supercharger lol. I see indmar is offering a supercharged version on the newer motors but they don't have anything for the older version. The other thing I have thought about is just building a LS version of a motor with aluminum block and just us a GM computer that I can tune myself with hp tuners. I just don't know what kind of adapters are available for the vdrive yet. So basically it's just a project I would like to work on. Lol

Get Procharger out of your head. They sell centrifugal superchargers (I have a D1-SC for my Formula)...good for high HP offshore boat setup, awful for a tow boat application. You need to get a screw type of supercharger (which will be a lot more money).

The ECM's you want to use are not marine-oriented ECM's. Could you make it work - perhaps - but there are marine options available.

Indmar is simply offering the LSA. Indmar doesn't make any motors - they just bolt accessories and do their own tune on GM Marine crate motors. Also, your bell housing won't mount up going from a GEN-I to a GEN-III+ SBC.

Air flow. Even with the right tuning, getting enough air into the box for that puppy to breath properly is going to be a challenge.

The LSA's don't seem to be having any problems @ 555HP.

• Like 1

These supercharger threads seem to come up about once per year. I've never heard of anyone actually going through with it. To the OP, if you end up trying this project, please let us know how it turns out (with pictures, of course).

Here's the one and only '03 35th, you can see the logo in the background on the side panel:

post-12034-0-09979900-1397586088_thumb.j

I think the rest were for Ski Flying competitions, but I'd have to go and search to verify.

Edited by jk13

absolutely get it out of your head that you are going to save gas putting a blower on a towboat engine. I know in cars and trucks your highway MPGs can go up 1-2mpgs. Not in this application, as you are spinning 3000-5000rpms to do just about anything, not a liesurely 1700rpms down the highway like in a truck...... so figure a 20-30% increase for the same activity vs just running the non-supercharged motor harder to keep up, and the required 91 or 93oct fuel at that, .35-50 cents more per gal.

I watched my GPHs on the 550hp very closely this weekend, averaged 8-10gph using 100% pure 91OCT, boat +ballast around 12,000lbs, turning 3200-3300rpms. Same load on the same boat with the 450hp was 6-8gphs.

Now, however..... what you DO get, is percieved unlimited power, completely loaded down, sac'd heavy with as many folks as you can fit in the boat.

These supercharger threads seem to come up about once per year. I've never heard of anyone actually going through with it. To the OP, if you end up trying this project, please let us know how it turns out (with pictures, of course).

I'm not sure that I could fully assess his progress with just pictures. I think I would need a pull.

Anyway, since you only want a little boost at constant RPM, how about a turbo?

Apples to oranges, but my ski buddy has a Eliminator boats "Skier 20". Most of it's life has been with supercharger (454, 3 speed v-drive). Although the last rebuild he went normal aspiration. Fast and powerful yes, very loud, high maintenance for everything on the engine. And it didn't get good mileage, ha.

Steve B.

I saw an interesting thread a while back with an Mastercraft X80 getting a diesel engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JKkM_k6L2M

oh and this little guy

http://www.planetwaterski.com/report/dmc.htm

The X-80 has two engines

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/4399841325.html

Does anyone know how the drive train works, assuming one prop?