Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf gate deployment

racer808

I’m sure you have an idea you are leaning toward, here’s another one. The folding type hinge on collapsible table braces, where the legs fold in. Not sure how good you are with welding or metal work, but even taking the actual locking arms with the locking hinge off a table.... they deploy quick and lock with a sliding hasp... just a thought. would need design as far as how long and right angles and attachment at either end, thinking I could design one that would stow against the swim step with rubber hasp, and deploy with a quick fold out and slide the locking hasp. It works in my head, Something like this...

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=259842

Angle of stowage to angle of deployment would be pretty damn close to 90, if you intalled them to fold outward instead of intoward the boat, it would take some tweaking and mount placement adjustment... think I might actually persue this myself the more I think about it.... just a thought

I’m sure you have an idea you are leaning toward, here’s another one. The folding type hinge on collapsible table braces, where the legs fold in. Not sure how good you are with welding or metal work, but even taking the actual locking arms with the locking hinge off a table.... they deploy quick and lock with a sliding hasp... just a thought. would need design as far as how long and right angles and attachment at either end, thinking I could design one that would stow against the swim step with rubber hasp, and deploy with a quick fold out and slide the locking hasp. It works in my head, Something like this...

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=259842

Angle of stowage to angle of deployment would be pretty damn close to 90, if you intalled them to fold outward instead of intoward the boat, it would take some tweaking and mount placement adjustment... think I might actually persue this myself the more I think about it.... just a thought

I already ordered those but they won't work like I thought they would.

That is a great idea!

Found the rest of the fittings to use with that cooper product. You could mount this to the gate itself for pivot point

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/b-line/products/bolted_framing/fittings/u-fittings/three_hole_swivel_clevis/b596_zn.html

Then use this post base off the swim platform brace or elsewhere I suppose but that is where I would put it

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/b-line/products/bolted_framing/fittings/post_bases/b279fl_zn.html

Then just use quick release type pins. I have some pricing coming & possibly a salesman just running me by some for free if they have in stock. Make a decision how to proceed.

Edited by racer808

I've been around and around on this and I've decided that I'm just going to wait until I can do it right. Lenco's, a really sweet control system that ties into my perfect pass, the whole deal. I just dont want to spend any money on something Im going to throw away eventually.

I've been around and around on this and I've decided that I'm just going to wait until I can do it right. Lenco's, a really sweet control system that ties into my perfect pass, the whole deal. I just dont want to spend any money on something Im going to throw away eventually.

I agree. I think I am just going to make a nice ghetto gate out of the HDPE I have coming. I actually had a really good idea come to me today to build a channel in the back of the gate & just use a hinged bar that would slide along the channel then you could lock into place with a pin, but again it falls under the not good enough to warrant drilling in hinges.

Edited by racer808

I buy B-line products all the time... PM me a list and I'd be happy to price them for you... SuperStrut, Pupco, B-line, Unistrut... They all are the same. Might be some freight, but no minimum.

I buy B-line products all the time... PM me a list and I'd be happy to price them for you... SuperStrut, Pupco, B-line, Unistrut... They all are the same. Might be some freight, but no minimum.

Strut itself is cheap, this telecsoping product is stupid priced though. Normally a 10' stick of 1-5/8" strut is like 12-14 bucks, this is $160.00 for a stick. Not worth it for this project