Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf gate deployment

racer808

Been through all the surfgate threads, even on other sites. Trying to find a good mechanical arm or something for manual deployment. I was going to get lenco's but too expensive. I found some folding shelf brackets but you are limited to 90 degrees. Anyone have any ideas for what would work good?

you could get two pieces of pipe that slide in each other and drill a series of holes and pin at whatever length you want put them in like lenco's

or you could get some old hydraulic trim tab actuators from ebay or any hydraulic cylinder would work for that matter

Ken

Did not see the Bimini poles. So a complicated hinge with a pin set up. I like the poles with a series of holes. What other cylinders did you have in mind khelfrich? I've been looking at eBay, maybe I'm looking at the wrong parts but I all see is kits or arms but then you need switches, motor, I don't see a manual lenco?

I definitely think they need to be longer but something along the lines to f it should work fine. If you do find something let me know!

I found some large jaw jaw, but would need to measure to make they will fit when retracted. I was trying to find two piece pipe like a table leg or tent type pole that slides & pops into place that would just snap into different lengths. Tried googling retractable poles, telescoping poles but not finding what I need.

I tried those searches awhile back as well, also tried stainless steel adjustable poles with no luck. I definitely want something strong enough and will not rust/corrode. I this with s.s. it would only take 1 brace, but with aluminum it would take a couple unless heavy guage can be found.

Fwiw, if you are going to the trouble of doing this I think you are gonna take a hit on resale if you have something screwed into the boat that's not as "factory" as possible.

Edited by shawndoggy

I would assume that they reinforce the heck out of the area that bolts to. There has to be a ton of leverage on that

On that Moomba system, agreed. On the surfgate there is not as much force as you would assume, but that is due to it only being a 30-40 degree angle.

I was looking at the same stuff made my unistrut. I like the idea, but not if I am going to drill holes & make a permanent install.

Why not square tubing that fits inside each other. Drill series of holes. You could get stainless or get regular steel powder coated. That's just what I have planned for when I do it. With a bolt for it to pivot on where it attaches for change of angle when the arm is extending

Why not square tubing that fits inside each other. Drill series of holes. You could get stainless or get regular steel powder coated. That's just what I have planned for when I do it. With a bolt for it to pivot on where it attaches for change of angle when the arm is extending

I have a supplier I do business with getting me some of the square tubing like the other poster put up so I can see if I want to use it. I think 1" would be sufficient but I am not sure where to find a bracket to attach to the hull & the gate that would allow it to pivot for opening & closing, still looking into that. I thought about getting it powder coated to look better but plastidip may be just as sufficient

Edited by racer808

Here is something I drew up. Thought it may work. Have built a prototype or anything yet but seems simple. I'm planning on removing when not in use vs. hinging in. I don't want anything attached to the boat if I do not have to. Fire away at the flaws in this system guys. Planning on using the king starboard and cut to follow angle of hull.

Sorry I'll add pictures

Edited by joshuadale07

Sorry I reread and your wanting it to hinge. So that won't work. You could do it like that with one supper arm of square tubing that extends and has a pivot point where you mount to the teak

Sorry I reread and your wanting it to hinge. So that won't work. You could do it like that with one supper arm of square tubing that extends and has a pivot point where you mount to the teak

I would hinge at the hull. I need a fixed piece like this, only one large enough accept this 1" tube on the gate as a pivot

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/hedudehiwire.html

Mounted at the gate itself. My idea is to actually mount the adjustable steel from the swim deck support so I don't have to do anything to the hull. If none of this works out or is not going to look as nice as it should I am just going to make a ghetto gate out of HDPE like this one. The one I made out of wood last year worked exceptionally well so no biggy if I go this way again. Would much rather do this with lenco arms but bought too many things already to justify the expense.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380219357471369_

But I have an idea to mount it to the platform differently for quick release & no drilling

Edited by racer808