Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Battery Charger/Tender did you use?

Just got my new 2012 MXZ on the lake a couple weeks ago, and noticed that my 1st battery will not crank the engine, and it sounds overall a bit sluggish with turning over. Figured the batteries might need charging.

1. Is there a simple plug and play tender/charger that is best?

2. With these batteries do I need to do anything different while charging?

My corvette sits on a lift plugged into a tender, and I never have had a battery issue, so I was thinking of just setting this up in the boat, but then realized I have two batteries.

3. Is there a simple one that will hit both batteries?

I have used the search button and see several names, but wanted to specifically ask if or which would you buy after using ones you have?

Thanks again!

Steve

Edited by Shodan01

I had this one installed when I had my stereo done... I have had the same one on three different boats and always have had a great battery, with no issues. Not sure how high these are rated but they have worked very well for me. Just plug it in after using the boat and your good to go.

20130415_095148_zps6ee35221.jpg

The old school way to do this was to pull the battery out of the boat in the winter & put it on a charger once or twice over the course of the winter. Plus I was always told to not store it on a concrete floor, but put a piece of wood down first. Not sure if that had to do with the cold concrete or some kind of grounding problem.

Anyway, the fact that we have our batteries in boxes & secured to the floor made this process a PITA. So lately we've been setting these boats up with an on-board charger. I have a Guest Dual Bank 10 amp charger. Been using it for about 5 yrs now & no battery failures yet. Many guys are using one by Promariner with similar luck.

I live in NE WA state & we'll see temps approaching & sometimes below 0F. In the 10 yrs or so I've lived here I've lost a few batteries in my toys, usually seems to be in the winter. And once, I had an ATV battery actually freeze so it was a slushie inside. But having this charger on board, I haven't seen any of that with the boat batteries. And the fact I don't have to dig them out or re-install them every year is icing on the cake.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I had this one installed when I had my stereo done... I have had the same one on three different boats and always have had a great battery, with no issues. Not sure how high these are rated but they have worked very well for me. Just plug it in after using the boat and your good to go.

20130415_095148_zps6ee35221.jpg

Is there anything special you need to do to the batteries when you plug it in to AC?

I have the Cabella's branded ProMariner ProSport 20. Dual bank, 20amp charger. Onboard charger is the way to go, since you never have to fiddle with anything - just plug it in each time you park the boat.

I have the ProMariner ProSport 20 Dual bank as well. Great charger. After a day out on the water, I park it in the garage and plug it in. Batteries are always strong. I run two Interstate SRM29's for batteries.

Overtons has the previous model of the prosport on sale.

You can get a 2 bank / 12 amp for $120. And free shipping.

Hard to beat that deal - and you have a brand new unit and warranty.

I bought the GEn 3, Dual Bank 20 Amp and it was $190.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=ProMariner-ProSport-12-Onboard-Battery-Charger&i=87114

Overtons has the previous model of the prosport on sale.

You can get a 2 bank / 12 amp for $120. And free shipping.

Hard to beat that deal - and you have a brand new unit and warranty.

I bought the GEn 3, Dual Bank 20 Amp and it was $190.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=ProMariner-ProSport-12-Onboard-Battery-Charger&i=87114

What differences between gen 2 and gen 3? Worth the $$?

I ended up buying a Promariner Pro Sport 20 Dual bank Gen 3 direct from Promariner for $150 to my door. Called them and ask questions about differences between 12 amp and 20 amp units. They said the 12 amp would be fine for my Group 24 Deka batteries but if I switch to Optima AGM next time that they are happier with 20 amp. Offered me this price to the door and I took it.

• Like 1

My previous boat had the ProSport 20 and I never had any battery issues. My current boat came from WSA with a PowerMania Turbo M220 (their recommendation) and although it is too early to comment on any quality advantage over the ProSport 20, I do like the smaller size.

IMG_0885.jpg

here is my install. not the greatest picture i will admit. it is not crooked like it appears in the photo - that must be because of my angle.

i installed it on the back of the small storage bin in the walk thru. The screw heads are barely visible from the boat cabin.

Install was quick and very easy. I was putting in new batteries and replacing all of the connectors anyway, so this did not add much time to the work.

post-7974-0-43478200-1397872273_thumb.jp

Edited by Soon2BV