Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Propeller Recommendation

dfarhood

We have a '96 sunsetter VLX that we split our time mainly between slalom and wakeboarding. For slalom we ride between 30 and 34 mph normally, and for wakeboarding 18-24 mph with the wedge and currently no ballast. Usually we have about 3-5 people in the boat (sometimes more). We have the 320HP Monsoon 350. Anyway I contacted ACME a while ago to confirm that the 537 (13.5" x 16") is the right prop for our usage.

Then I saw there might be a group buy so I decided to wait and see how that turned out. The group buy mostly has OJ props so I contacted them this week. They recommended a 14.75 X 15.5 LC 1 1/8" 4- blade or a 14.25 X 14.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-blade which seems odd to me because neither of them are all that similar to the 537 (yes I know that cup has an effect too).

Just curious to hear what the crew thinks would be a good fit for my setup.

Thanks in advance.

dfar- first, tell us what prop you have on there now.... and what you think about its performance. What is your current top speed with no ballast?

What are you looking for in this new prop that your current prop doesnt provide?

Edited by nyryan2001

dfar- first, tell us what prop you have on there now.... and what you think about its performance. What is your current top speed with no ballast?

What are you looking for in this new prop that your current prop doesnt provide?

I have the original cast OJ which is a 14 x 18 3 blade prop. The performance is fine for our usage although I'm sure one of the recommended props would do better for performance and efficiency. Part of the reason I'm replacing is that the current one has some dings in it, they weren't causing and vibrations but the rudder has some pitting as a result. Not sure on the top speed, we have a 36mph speed limit on the lake so I rarely take it to WOT and when I do the GPS isn't usually on and the Accupro airguides are finicky at best.

Wakemakers has a tool for choosing props.

http://www.wakemakers.com/malibu-wakeboard-boat-propellers

I looked at that before I contacted ACME, pretty much goes in line with the 537 suggestion from them. I don't see any OJ recommendations on there.

Call ACME and OJ. Tell them what you're running now and how you use the boat. They'll have a good recommendation for you.

I mentioned in the original post that I contacted both of them

ACME recommended the 537 (13.5" x 16")

and OJ recommended either a 14.75 X 15.5 LC 1 1/8" 4- blade or a 14.25 X 14.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-blade

My question was basically why are their recommendations so different? My guess is that the second OJ listed is not really for me because I think I'd loose too much top end for the slalom sets (I'm sure the speed would still be there, just very high revving).

I'm pretty sure from what I've read the 537 would work great for my usage, I'm just curious if the OJ 14.75 x 15.5 would be better or worse since I can get it at a reasonable price with the group buy.

If you aren't adding any ballast, the 537 is perfect. If you plan to add moderate (1000-1500lbs) ballast, then a 1939 (14x15.5) would be good. From what it sounds, you don't need a very aggressive prop.

Edited by Brodie

So are you weighting the boat? are you at altitude? Skiing?

Just the wedge for now, I may add some (pretty moderate... I'm still not surfing, at least for now) weight in a few years, but there are plenty of other things to spend money on first before bags and pumps etc.

According to google maps 309 ft elevation so no.

and yes pretty much 50/50 slalom and wakeboarding.

Clearly you need a 2315!!

#EveryoneIsDoingIt

Sounds like a perfect fit :rofl: I knew the crew would help me.

I'm basically curious if anyone would suggest going with the OJ 14.75 x 15.5 over the ACME 537 besides OJ. Not saying it'd be bad, just seems like a lot more prop than ACME's recommendation and wanted to know if it was worth trying.

First off, I wouldn't take what OJ OR Acme says as a good recommendation. Neither are testing these props on the hulls we use...they are getting 3rd party info worse than we are. You want to use what others with similar hulls/motors are using.

I'm not a fan of OJ after an experience I had with them, though I'm sure they make a good prop.

For your application, the 537 would be fine, but there is no good reason to run the 537 over the 1939.

I'm also on a SV23 hull and run a good amount of weight and the 1939 has been performing well, though I'm interested in trying one of the 15" props (2247), though I have no complaints about the 1939's performance (would keep this as a spare). But I'm also running quite a bit more HP than you too, so not a totally fair comparison.

If you plan on little to no weight like you have now, fuel economy and speed being important, then I'd think the 1941 would be an excellent choice. If you just want a cheap replacement/spare prop, an Acme 381 would be a fine choice as you can get the used cheaper than other props (I'll cut you a deal on my spare 381). Good cruising/low RPM prop, won't pull that hard but then again you aren't exactly doing anything that needs a ton of pulling power. 381 was fine for me unweighted - pulled me up slalom no problem when I was 225lbs (again, more HP, but we weren't exactly going WOT to get me out of the water either).

First I hate propeller threads... so many numbers :cry:

First off, I wouldn't take what OJ OR Acme says as a good recommendation. Neither are testing these props on the hulls we use...they are getting 3rd party info worse than we are. You want to use what others with similar hulls/motors are using.

I'm not a fan of OJ after an experience I had with them, though I'm sure they make a good prop.

For your application, the 537 would be fine, but there is no good reason to run the 537 over the 1939.

I'm also on a SV23 hull and run a good amount of weight and the 1939 has been performing well, though I'm interested in trying one of the 15" props (2247), though I have no complaints about the 1939's performance (would keep this as a spare). But I'm also running quite a bit more HP than you too, so not a totally fair comparison.

If you plan on little to no weight like you have now, fuel economy and speed being important, then I'd think the 1941 would be an excellent choice. If you just want a cheap replacement/spare prop, an Acme 381 would be a fine choice as you can get the used cheaper than other props (I'll cut you a deal on my spare 381). Good cruising/low RPM prop, won't pull that hard but then again you aren't exactly doing anything that needs a ton of pulling power. 381 was fine for me unweighted - pulled me up slalom no problem when I was 225lbs (again, more HP, but we weren't exactly going WOT to get me out of the water either).

Part of the reason I'm comfortable with the 537 recommendation is that I've seen a number of people on here using them for similar usage to me, and some even with some extra ballast for wakeboarding/surfing.

I've seen your experience with the prop puller a number of times, I'm not to concerned since my old prop is already off and their props are said to be thicker than ACME's. I just now know to avoid their prop puller, if I needed one though I'd probably go for the harmonic type regardless of brand.

I'm looking for something full time so the 381 seems a bit in the wrong direction. The 1941 is interesting, on the wakeprops guide I'd say I'm in the recreational/everything column and for our hull the 537 is listed but the 1941 is in the wakeboard/wakesurf column. But for a number of different hulls the 1941 is listed as the prop for everything. Also the 1941 is closer to the OJ recommendation than the ACME.

How much would I lose of the top end going this route? I'm not barefooting or anything (although still having the option without changing props is nice) but I don't want to be at or close to WOT for skiing. Right now about 3k Rpm = 30mph.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 537 because DocPhil offered me a great deal on one of his, but if the price difference up front is worth the performance/efficiency gains down the line. If it is pretty much negligible for what I'm doing I'll just get the 537 now and look again if I decided to add some weight later on and keep the 537 as a spare.

Currently you are running the 14 D 18 P 3 blade prop, no ballast, wedge, 3-5 people, wakeboard and ski. You have no need to go over 36MPH and looking for better performance.

current 14D 18P 3 blade

ACME 13.5D 16P 4 blade

OJ 14.25D 14.5P 4 blade

OJ 14.75 15.5P 4 blade

First you can not find a prop that is great for both slalom and wakeboarding so finding a happy point is best. I would not go with the 14.75 because that is a low end prop and would not do well for skiing.

The 537 would be more of what you are running at this time and would give a little better performance.

The Oj 14.25 would help with hole shot and still take you past the 36 MPH. I have been running this for the last 4 years and never hit the rev limiter, not that I hammer it down for top speed. This would fit your needs for today and in the future.

One other note! if you buy the OJ and not happy with how it performs for your top speed, just shop it back and they will send a different one out. Just make sure to call and have speeds, RPM, weight ready to give them.

Now if Doc is offering a great deal then that is a great option.

The 1939 will simply outperform the 537 across the board. Better pulling power without sacrificing RPM/Top speed. Malibu went away from the 537 and went to the 1939 to replace it OEM (obviously Malibu offers a number of different Acme props). But a good deal is a good deal and the prop should be appropriate.

Wakemakers prop guide is a total joke. This comparison alone should indicate that:

2005-2008 vRide ACME 1941 ACME 1235 ACME 2079

1996-2001 Sunsetter VLX ACME 537 ACME 1941 ACME 1235

1999-2014 Wakesetter VLX ACME 1941 ACME 1235 ACME 2079

2002-2012 Sunscape 21 LSV ACME 1941 ACME 1235 ACME 2079

The '96 - '00 Sunsetter VLX is the EXACT SAME HULL as the '99 - '04 VLX and the '05 - '08 V-drive. The 2000 is the same hull but the diamond version, which is irrelevant to prop selection. Even better, the '02-'04 Sunscape 21 LSV is the same SV23 Diamond hull as the '01 Sunsetter VLX, same motors, driveline, yet a different prop selection??!!!

The fact they are grouping some very different hulls together (including very different weights, ballast options engines and beam lengths) should be indication alone that the guide is flawed at best. So a '99 VLX with the carbed Vortec should run the same prop as a '14 VLX with the LS3??!! It takes very little variables into account.

I doubt you would lose much top end with the 1941. But again, if you are getting a sweet deal on the 537, go for it, as it will likely perform well enough for your needs.

Thanks for making that decision easier :rockon: I'll be buying the 537, if I decided to spend money on ballasts I can worry about a prop upgrade then.

Currently you are running the 14 D 18 P 3 blade prop, no ballast, wedge, 3-5 people, wakeboard and ski. You have no need to go over 36MPH and looking for better performance.

current 14D 18P 3 blade

ACME 13.5D 16P 4 blade

OJ 14.25D 14.5P 4 blade

OJ 14.75 15.5P 4 blade

First you can not find a prop that is great for both slalom and wakeboarding so finding a happy point is best. I would not go with the 14.75 because that is a low end prop and would not do well for skiing.

The 537 would be more of what you are running at this time and would give a little better performance.

The Oj 14.25 would help with hole shot and still take you past the 36 MPH. I have been running this for the last 4 years and never hit the rev limiter, not that I hammer it down for top speed. This would fit your needs for today and in the future.

One other note! if you buy the OJ and not happy with how it performs for your top speed, just shop it back and they will send a different one out. Just make sure to call and have speeds, RPM, weight ready to give them.

Now if Doc is offering a great deal then that is a great option.

Kind of interesting the OJ reps recommendation was that the 14.75 would be better overall and the 14.25 would be better for weighing it down. Also I knew there was no perfect propeller to do opposite tasks, just figured since I need a new one I should try to find one that crosses over well. Sort of the VTX philosophy isn't the best at anything but good at a lot of things.

The 1939 will simply outperform the 537 across the board. Better pulling power without sacrificing RPM/Top speed. Malibu went away from the 537 and went to the 1939 to replace it OEM (obviously Malibu offers a number of different Acme props). But a good deal is a good deal and the prop should be appropriate.

Wakemakers prop guide is a total joke. This comparison alone should indicate that:

2005-2008 vRide ACME 1941 ACME 1235 ACME 2079
1996-2001 Sunsetter VLX ACME 537 ACME 1941 ACME 1235
1999-2014 Wakesetter VLX ACME 1941 ACME 1235 ACME 2079
2002-2012 Sunscape 21 LSV ACME 1941 ACME 1235 ACME 2079

The '96 - '00 Sunsetter VLX is the EXACT SAME HULL as the '99 - '04 VLX and the '05 - '08 V-drive. The 2000 is the same hull but the diamond version, which is irrelevant to prop selection. Even better, the '02-'04 Sunscape 21 LSV is the same SV23 Diamond hull as the '01 Sunsetter VLX, same motors, driveline, yet a different prop selection??!!!

The fact they are grouping some very different hulls together (including very different weights, ballast options engines and beam lengths) should be indication alone that the guide is flawed at best. So a '99 VLX with the carbed Vortec should run the same prop as a '14 VLX with the LS3??!! It takes very little variables into account.

I doubt you would lose much top end with the 1941. But again, if you are getting a sweet deal on the 537, go for it, as it will likely perform well enough for your needs.

:rofl: That's too funny I never noticed all those discrepancies in the guide. I realized that there was no accounting for different motors but I really didn't look much past the line with 96-01 Sunnsetter VLX.

OK so now I'm just curious I get how less pitch is better for the low end and moving more weight, and how larger diameter is better for the same. I'm just struggling to understand why larger diameter props are not good for slalom/barefoot speeds?

Also I don't understand how the cup factors into it all that well either. Anyone care to explain this or have a link to a good write up explaining this.