Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Deep Freeze in TN after going out on my boat a few times....

Afun

i'm in KC its supposed to drop below 32 for 6 hours and bottom out at 27 degrees. this isnt enough time to freeze a block. my boat is outside on a lift. i dont anticipate needing to drain it or put a bulb in there.

No way...drain it, IMO

i'm in KC its supposed to drop below 32 for 6 hours and bottom out at 27 degrees. this isnt enough time to freeze a block. my boat is outside on a lift. i dont anticipate needing to drain it or put a bulb in there.

Good luck. That would be a night I wouldn't sleep. Might not be enough to freeze an engine, but it could easily freeze a heater core, raw water pump, muffler, etc.

• Like 2

always looking for the good..... these spuratic late freezes wreak havok on mosquitos and flies, hatching eggs right now.... which is fine by me. I got nailed a few times already this last weekend by horse flies.

Already pulled a tick off my dog. Snow had only been gone for three days. It's back again this morning. 2" worth. Hope it kills off some, but I doubt a decent percentage even hatched yet. Good news is it looks like the lake might be returning to liquid after last week's 60s. Been solid for so long I forgot what it looked like.

Oh Afun, I'd drain the boat. I put a trouble light in mine for a night or two but it's old. Your's is brand new and I would drain it just to be safe.

I've been in this spot once back in April 2008. It hit 80's in mid-April one weekend--it was beautiful! Then I put our boat out on our lift, only for the overnight temperatures to drop into the high 20' the following week. I drove out to our cabin mid-week, ran an extension cord down to the dock and put a new space heater on the lowest setting under the cover. I slept much better. The next weekend I lifted the cover and it was nice and cozy in there. If you just need something to get you thru a couple days, just purchase a new $50 small space heater with a thermostat. I'm not suggesting you use it all winter long.

I've wrecked a heater core because I forgot to blow out the heater during winterizing. I'm in Colorado though. So maybe it just gets way colder. Now I store my boat in a heated garage that never drops below 55 degrees. My seats like that much more than trying to brave the winter under a $400 FAIL cover that falls apart like it was made of dis-solvable stitches material.

I live in a waterfront community..... And I lived in a waterfront condo in Seattle.... combined almost 20 yrs. Naturally there are a lot of boats around these kind of neighborhoods. And usually there are some new guys around, learning the hard way some times. I've personally replaced like 4 heater cores, 1 muffler & 2 raw water pumps. And I've seen like 2 neighbors lose an engine by cracked block...... one actually ran for a bit too... although it spewed oil all over the engine compartment.

I find I sleep a lot better when things are prepped for the cold weather.

Chance of low 30's, high 20's overnight here Tuesday and Wednesday night but in the 50's/60 during the day. Mine has already been "de-winterized" and I have to leave for out of town with the boss in the morning until Thursday. It's sitting on a lift over 60 degree water.....pretty sure(hoping) I am fine!!!

Dude I personally would not worry. The high temps the day will way overcome 27 for a predicted nighttime low that likely want happen. If your going through all that trouble and worried I would just put a fake a lake on her before bed time and run it for 30 mins. Problem solved. Just my 2 cents. Do what makes you comfortable.

Sent into space with tapatalk

26 degrees here several hours...drained everything...my set up below only has insulation on the ceiling not the side walls....also on a very big hill where wind chill is a factor

i don't think Wind Chill freezes stuff

Edited by Soon2BV
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

I am jealous of your barn. I think you would be ok and I think mine would be too but like you I drained. For the little work it requires it's very cheap quick insurance.

The dealers mechanic here has told me a few times that it ok would take a block 8 straight hours of freezing temps to crack, once the block it self reaches freezing temps. But still better to be safe then sorry!

Afun, I keep mine in unheated barn here in Indiana. Takes at least 2 days for a water bottle to freeze in the barn w temps 32 or below continuous. Don't have a lot of drafts but I'm in a valley and the cold hangs in here pretty good. Personally don't think ya have anything to worry about but go ahead if ya have time ect...

Looks like Andersonville or union county

Heiskell, TN....it's my crews barn right off Norris Freeway...we're having a party in it Saturday Night 7:30pm...your welcome to come...

Why not throw a heater in there? a real heater? a garage heater meant for you neck of the woods?

I don't get it. Why do people build garages back east with no heater in them? seems like a no brainer. Kind of like I do not understand building homes without tornado shelters in tornado land. It seems like these things would be standard

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 1

For fun, Afun, put a water bottle on your back swimstep after you drain the block. I'm willing to guarantee that it won't freeze, and if it does freeze, it will freeze sooner than the engine that sits inside the engine compartment insulated by fiberglass, upholstery and a cover. I was sure that my unheated garage would get cold enough to freeze when we went to 0 degrees for a few days at night in the winter. A cup of water on my swimstep never froze at all.

But I would still drain until you have enough experience with your current storage situation to know for sure how things are.

• Like 4

Why not throw a heater in there? a real heater? a garage heater meant for you neck of the woods?

I don't get it. Why do people build garages back east with no heater in them? seems like a no brainer. Kind of like I do not understand building homes without tornado shelters in tornado land. It seems like these things would be standard

Little by little big guy....this economy is not exactly conducive for splurging on everything you want. I hope you understand now.