Trucker

Starter issues

Trucker

I have an '06 IRide with a 320 Indmar. Recently the starter has begun to drag with starting. It does turn over and cranks but drags. I replaced the battery but the problem is still there. Time for a starter??

Jimmypooh

Yep! I had my starter rebuilt on my 06 VLX with Monsoon about 2 years ago. Battery replacement didn't help so I knew it was starter. Be sure to either rebuild your existing starter or get a marine starter. I've been told Marine starters are built a little different so that they don't cause sparks in the closed engine bay so as to not ignite any fumes. If it helps, I think having my starter rebuilt cost between $100-$125 at a local shop.

Trucker

Thanks. Going to check all the wires first just to make sure it's not a bad connection. Hard to swap out?

Slyexe

Pretty simple task, 2 bolts hold it in place typically, just slide out and undo the wiring, or it might have a harnass. If you want to make sure its the starter have someone try starting the boat while tapping on the starter with a screw driver or hammer, if it kicks faster than usual it's probably the brushings. Mine went out last summer and I bought mine for 250$ brand new rather than having it rebuilt since it was 15 years old. It should be located on the left side near the back if you have a DD like me.

Good luck!

tvano

pull the negative cable off the battery before you start swinging wrenches.

Trucker

Thanks for the advice!