Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

cleaning oil off engine

so last fall when I changed the oil and filter the old filter gasket apparently stuck inside the fitting and didn't come off with the filter. I didn't realize and installed new filter and gasket. 2 gaskets are not better than one. On start up yesterday oil sprayed out all over the engine. I had a low oil pressure alarm and shut it off immediately. Not worried about engine damage as it only ran for about 2 minutes. How do I clean it off or do I? Spent about an hour wiping up every thing I could. Used soapy water to clean the bilge. Short of using degreaser and a hose what else can I do? Is there a fire risk? Will it burn, smoke, smell? This ever happened to anyone before or am I the only idiot to do this? Thanks

@old jeep. Any concerns with electrical components and getting them wet?

Just let everything dry out for a few hours or a day before you start the motor again. I use the simple green method to detail my car and truck engine bays, works great.

@old jeep. Any concerns with electrical components and getting them wet?

Not from me, I pressure wash engines in my jeeps all the time. Just make sure you cover the intake and let it sit out with the covers open so that it can dry out.

so last fall when I changed the oil and filter the old filter gasket apparently stuck inside the fitting and didn't come off with the filter.

You may already know this, but when installing a new oil filter, be sure to put some oil on the gasket before you install it. I usually just dip my finger in some of the old oil and run it around the gasket. This should stop the gasket from sticking.

• Like 2

This happened to me last season. Had oil all in the bilge. I wiped up everywhere I could reach, then filled the bilge up with water and degreaser. After that sat for an hour, I drove up the the lake. During the commute all the sloshing around cleaned it all up pretty well. If you do this, make sure you bring some towels and put them under the drain to catch the oil.

Definitely not the only one, One of my uncles did this and didn't notice until the engine seized up :Doh:

Also am I the only one who thinks 2 minutes is a long time for low oil pressure? I'd expect it is still fine for now but I could see a premature death to the engine being possible.