Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is the Value of an 08 VLX Needing Motor?

norcal_rdr

Well I actually think your best bet is to just eat the cost right now and get the replacement. 4k sounds kinda high for labor on this though have you contacted any other shops? Think about it even at $100/hrlabor charge that's 40 freaking hrs! Doesn't seem correct.

Anyway once done I think you either head over to your local MC or Nautique dealer and trade that boat in or put it up on only inboards and be rid of both BU and Indmar for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
We actually wanted to do that but it would involve the computer being replaced so it would cost $1k more than the new HH.

Was that with a discount in the engine as well?

The paper work that can with the current motor makes no mention of a warranty anywhere? Do you have documentation for the engine having problems from day one?

Man, I feel for you... You have a really nice looking boat. I'm surprised there is no warranty of any kind on a rebuilt engine from Indmar. Did you double check all your paperwork?

I guess you either repair it, or sell it as is and move on to a different boat. What does Indmar say about the rebuilt failure? What are they saying caused it?

Was that with a discount in the engine as well?

The paper work that can with the current motor makes no mention of a warranty anywhere? Do you have documentation for the engine having problems from day one?

Yep, that was with a discount in the engine price. The monsoon was almost $2k more in price because it came with the computer and all components. We saved $1k in labor because it would just bolt in. The HH is just the block so all the components need to be taken off the old motor and put onto the new one. Labor is $125 per hour hence the $4k.

We asked Indmar for a warranty and they never put anything in writing that I know of but I need to talk to my mechanic to see what he has from the previous correspondence. Yes, they (Indmar) paid for the first oil change because it was coming up with engine fault codes immediately. They were aware of the oil consumption from day 1 and said it was just the break-in oil and then it was the engine needing to be broken in.

Prior to that, with the previous motor yes, we have every record from day 1 also starting with oil consumption issues (before we bought it) that was seemingly fixed with change of oil. The knocking and clunking began pretty much within 2 weeks of our purchase. They were never able to isolate the knocking noise prior to the crank blowing out, thats why we got the new transmission and vdrive. Our boat sounded like it was going to blow up when they changed the vdrive and transmission and they assured us it was supposed to sound like that. Not more than 25 hours later and one month out of warranty we get a misfire cylinder 1 and the bottom half blows out on a mechanics test run. Indmar gets us over a barrel even though they never found and fixed our warranty issue from the get go, a defective motor. Our boat has been in the shop something like 19 of 36 months we have owned it.

Prior to this we had a 2000 with 1500+ hours that was unstoppable. We sold that thinking we were going to run into issues due to its age :Tease3:

Man, I feel for you... You have a really nice looking boat. I'm surprised there is no warranty of any kind on a rebuilt engine from Indmar. Did you double check all your paperwork?

I guess you either repair it, or sell it as is and move on to a different boat. What does Indmar say about the rebuilt failure? What are they saying caused it?

The Indmar tech came out 2 weeks ago and verified everything our mechanic said and reported to Indmar. I am trying to get my hands on that report because I have yet to hear what caused the failure myself. The piston shows wear so I would imagine something was not done correctly during the build, but I am no mechanic.

What about pursuing legal action against them? Would it be worth it? Seems like you have a pretty good case and nothing to lose.

That is the direction I am headed in now. We just found out on Friday what Indmar was offering so we are in the process of putting our ducks in row. I thought we were pretty patient and level about the first engine blowing but this is a whole new level. I hate to bash any company but these guys are beyond unethical in how our situation has been handled.

Yeah, it's really disappointing to hear how this has ended. Does not give me a lot of confidence in Indmar. Plus, there have been multiple posts on this site about oil consumption with Indmar engines which is also not a confidence builder.

I hope you can get it resolved and get back on the water.

Weren't the HH around that year the motor with issues? I would think you had a good case against them. Especially seeing the new motor didn't last long. Obviously making it through the summer is not acceptable. I'd fight. It says on their website, all Indmar engines carry a 3 year warranty. They sent you the engine, it should be warrantied.

Sorry to see all this. Good luck to you

My neighbor replaced the Indmar in his 91 Mastercraft (with Jegs motor) and it had problems within one week. He got a second one from Indmar and it ran god for 1/2 a summer. Got a third engine (from Indmar) and it ran good for the 2 summers he had it. He did all the installs. It had a big lopey cam. Ran really strong. Made his Maristar (v-drive) do the bow hop at 30mph and above.

Good luck with your ordeal. Take Malibu and Indmar to court, you're being screwed.

Just a quick update: We are totally getting screwed but with summer here and already having our boat out of service since October we are leaning towards biting the bullet and installing a brand new WARRANTIED motor.

Thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully we can be back out on the water soon.

Have you talked to any local engine builders? With that kind of luck I would lean towards a good builder rebuilding and blue printing one for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Just a quick update: We are totally getting screwed but with summer here and already having our boat out of service since October we are leaning towards biting the bullet and installing a brand new WARRANTIED motor.

Thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully we can be back out on the water soon.

Hate to ask, but what do they want for a brand new warrantied motor? I'm still baffled they installed a rebuilt motor in your boat with no warranty. That's about as lame as anything could be and piss poor customer service!!!