Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE, yay or nay?

Zeke83

Carbon Monoxide = sleepy poison = CO

Carbon Dioxide = bubbles in your soda water = CO2

Lol, CO.. Typo. Although I do like a nice spritzer every now and then.

To answer my question, does his boat have a CAT engine?

Edited by Fman

I am guessing when RagBoy did this video he did not have a ETX/CAT engine? This is from Indmar website:

the ETX/CAT catalyst system reportedly reduces harmful exhaust emissions to less than 5 grams hydrocarbons (HC) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) as now required by California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulations. ETX/CAT also reduces poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gases by 98 percent in all part throttle positions.

Edit: I just got email back from Indmar stating "CAT motor will reduce CO fumes by 93% at 4400 RPM's or less." If this statement is true, even 93% leaves a very small amount even being emitted for the engine exhaust. I would really like to use a CO monitor on a new CAT motor to see what the readings are all around the boat. I was considering a fae purchase this season but only for the CO factor, my engine does seem loud enough to bother me with the turn down exhaust tips.

Edited by Fman

I am guessing when RagBoy did this video he did not have a ETX/CAT engine? This is from Indmar website:

the ETX/CAT catalyst system reportedly reduces harmful exhaust emissions to less than 5 grams hydrocarbons (HC) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) as now required by California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulations. ETX/CAT also reduces poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gases by 98 percent in all part throttle positions.

Agree.

Nonetheless, I don't think any of us want to stick our heads up the pipes of our catted motors either. The real benefit (if you don't have that G23 steam cloud thing happening) is the reduction in noise in the boat and behind the boat.

Who said anything about sticking there head up exhaust pipes?????... so basically noise reduction is the only benefit for the FAE on a newer CAT motor. I guess I need to experience the "quiet" factor of the fae engine to become a believer.

Who said anything about sticking there head up exhaust pipes?????... so basically noise reduction is the only benefit for the FAE on a newer CAT motor. I guess I need to experience the "quiet" factor of the fae engine to become a believer.

What I mean is that the reduction in exhaust smell while surfing is noticeable. CO is odorless and colorless, so it's that "other stuff" that's still there even with a catted motor, that is now injected under water and comes up behind you with FAE.

I must have no sense of smell left, I never smell exhaust fumes on our boat.... even my 2011 we never did. We usually always shut it down when sitting idle....regardless, nice to know the fae is an option if this ever starts to become an issue. I really would like to hear a before and after comparison of the engine noise. Maybe Bunji (13 LSV) can do a before and after video to see the comparison.

they used to tell me it was steam, supposedly the CATs convert like 95% of the CO2.... still made me nervous, wanted nothing to do with it.

FMAN- its worth it for the noise reduction alone. makes dring the boat and surfing behind it that much more pleasant.

I must have no sense of smell left, I never smell exhaust fumes on our boat.... even my 2011 we never did. We usually always shut it down when sitting idle....regardless, nice to know the fae is an option if this ever starts to become an issue. I really would like to hear a before and after comparison of the engine noise. Maybe Bunji (13 LSV) can do a before and after video to see the comparison.

The before and after sound thing really depends on what your exhaust is like behind the boat now. If you can already have "loud talking" conversations with your surfers, you won't notice much. If you have to yell for surfers to hear you from the boat, it's huge. Wakeboarding, for me, it was the equivalent of doubling my tower speaker output. My exhaust is a single straight pipe, though, not a turn down, so that's probably the loudest possible, so I'd notice the biggest difference before and after.

What I really need is for my wife to complain about fumes or noise levels, would be a much easier sell to fix the issue that is bugging her!

I don't think I can talk to people in the boat while surfing, more like yelling... So maybe it would be a worthwhile upgrade. I'm going out tomorrow, I will pay closer attention to noise levels to see where I am at.

As mentioned read previous threads but this is what it does from experience:

1-Quiets the boat a lot. You can comfortably talk at any speed. Your stereo may be happier too.

2- Removes all (human detection method) exhaust fumes when you are in gear at any speed

What it doesn't do:

1-Effect any wake to a noticeable degree (when set up properly). If you got the boat with FAE you would never think about taking it off.

In the terms of BOAT, it's cheap and definitely worth it if you surf or cruise the lake a lot at low speeds. If you don't do those things, it's probably worth it anyways.

Nyryan just sent me over some videos via cell phone, wow, I am really impressed with the sound reduction. It was drastic, more than I had thought. Thanks again Ryan, appreciate it.

Now a few questions...

How do these work with the power wedge? Are they difficult to install? I currently have the turn down exhaust tips. Is the black just as good as the stainless?

We bought black to save $. I don't think they offer it unless you specially ask. Same boat as you, we have turn downs but haven't installed yet.

How difficult is to remove those turn down tips? Assuming loosen the hose clamp inside boat, remove screws from flange and figure out what to use to pry off the turn down tips without damaging gel coat? I was told shims from Home Depot used for Windows and Doors work good to wedge up inside the flange to pull it away from the gelcoat? I wonder if Malibu uses 5200 to seal up the turn down tips? Hopefully not, that stuff is like cement.

As mentioned read previous threads but this is what it does from experience:

1-Quiets the boat a lot. You can comfortably talk at any speed. Your stereo may be happier too.

2- Removes all (human detection method) exhaust fumes when you are in gear at any speed

What it doesn't do:

1-Effect any wake to a noticeable degree (when set up properly). If you got the boat with FAE you would never think about taking it off.

In the terms of BOAT, it's cheap and definitely worth it if you surf or cruise the lake a lot at low speeds. If you don't do those things, it's probably worth it anyways.

I disagree with "what it doesn't do: 1…." I pulled my FAE because I only wakeboard and it messed up my wake. I bought it because i have 2 small children that were ski boarding at the time, and I have many small cousins and friends children that we have taught and will teach. I wanted as much safety as possible for them and us when standing on the platform etc… Also, wanted a quieter inside. The all fiberglass tub that axis does, like naughtique and mastercraft, is much noisier than the traditional carpeted floors and seat bases found in Malibu's. I found that the noise reduction was very nice, loved it. But I also noticed that my wakeboard wake was really really different. It was like adding the wedge to my wake, but dirtier, softer foamy lip. I noticed a tiny bit of planing time increase but that was expected as there is a tube dragging from behind the boat, no big deal with that as it unavoidable, unless you make a power FAE that is on a hydraulic ram that once at speed, can be dropped into place… hint hint Larry :D

So the wake shape killed me as my wake is dialed to my liking. I have recently moved my ballast a little bit around and will be trying it again this summer. It will only take me 30 minutes to re-install it, so I plan on taking a set with it off, then immediately installing it and taking another set. I hope it works out for me as I love the Idea and think it is a great product.

I disagree with "what it doesn't do: 1…." I pulled my FAE because I only wakeboard and it messed up my wake. I bought it because i have 2 small children that were ski boarding at the time, and I have many small cousins and friends children that we have taught and will teach. I wanted as much safety as possible for them and us when standing on the platform etc… Also, wanted a quieter inside. The all fiberglass tub that axis does, like naughtique and mastercraft, is much noisier than the traditional carpeted floors and seat bases found in Malibu's. I found that the noise reduction was very nice, loved it. But I also noticed that my wakeboard wake was really really different. It was like adding the wedge to my wake, but dirtier, softer foamy lip. I noticed a tiny bit of planing time increase but that was expected as there is a tube dragging from behind the boat, no big deal with that as it unavoidable, unless you make a power FAE that is on a hydraulic ram that once at speed, can be dropped into place… hint hint Larry :D

So the wake shape killed me as my wake is dialed to my liking. I have recently moved my ballast a little bit around and will be trying it again this summer. It will only take me 30 minutes to re-install it, so I plan on taking a set with it off, then immediately installing it and taking another set. I hope it works out for me as I love the Idea and think it is a great product.

Johnny, that's an interesting observation. Did you try messing with the "z measurement" at all? Getting mine right was definitely a (somewhat frustrating) process of trial and error. As I brought the FAE higher, my "rooster" issues went away.

Johnny, that's an interesting observation. Did you try messing with the "z measurement" at all? Getting mine right was definitely a (somewhat frustrating) process of trial and error. As I brought the FAE higher, my "rooster" issues went away.

I have not. I set it the way it said in the instructions, then took a picture after install with some measurements and sent them to Larry. He said it looked good (from what he could see in the picture). I definitely could spend more time with it, trying to get just the tip into the surface of the prop wash when the boat is on plane… i could see that helping. I also thought of increasing that measurement to where the down pipe is completely out of water just above the surface at wakeboarding speeds, but during surfing or really slow speeds for small kids it would still be under water? I need to experiment more….

Defacto,

Ditto what SD said. i had issues with a washed out surf wave and was a bit morbid in some threads here. After some (a LOT) of fidgeting with shofting things side to side and up or down I was able to achieve a non-effecting result. Hence why I said if it is set up "properly".

The biggest problem with FAE imo is that "properly" can be very difficult and time consuming. As mentioned it's not quite so plug and play.